Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Where shall a newbie Kite then?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Tan

Since 03 Jun 2008
23 Posts
St Kilda, Australia

PostTue Jun 03, 08 5:43 pm    Where shall a newbie Kite then? Reply with quote

Hey everyone

I am a newbie to kiting. I just took lessons in Mexico (lovely warm water) but am now back in sunny Portland. I dont know the gorge area (kiting wise) at all. I am still pretty bad at it. I am barely standing up on the board and you can forget about upwind.

I have been browsing the forum for a while and I noticed the whinging about beginners on the spit in HR. I want to practice. But I want to practice where I am less likely to cause injury to others and also minimise the pain to any pro-locals.

Any suggestions on locations? Very Happy

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 03, 08 5:51 pm     Reply with quote

The issue is there really isnt somewhere else that you can go where you can touch and feel safe and stuff like the sandbar, not that I know of at least. If you still arent riding the board then you could possibly take some more lessons here (in the gorge) that will take you upwind of all the trouble, and save you a lot of walking upwind time. I would say that you should take another lesson, with New Wind Kiteboarding, they will get you upwind out of the crowd and riding upwind in no time. After that, you will be able to kite wherever and not be an accidental nuisance to other people around.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jun 03, 08 5:55 pm     Reply with quote

if i were you, i would go down to the sandbar and kite wherever it is easiest for you to get better. if that means kiting in the shallower water so you can walk back up wind then go for it! Sauvie island also good. do your thing, do it respectfully but the bottom line is no one owns any part of the river or the rights to dictate who is or isn't suited to kite there. Kite early in the morning or later in the evening and it will go along way to ease tension. You gotta learn somewhere and the sandbar is as good as it gets for HR, don't be intimidated out of a good spot, but simply be mindful of others and do you best to minimize impact. In no time you will be able to ride up wind and out of the congestion, if you don't go for it you won't get there....

stringer

Since 31 Jul 2007
694 Posts
Chucktown
Flying Tomato

PostTue Jun 03, 08 6:02 pm     Reply with quote

I don't think its so much a matter of where as when.
A few more lessons will help you be more self sufficient.
After that, you should get to the sandbar early on a weekday.
There's rarely a crowd then so its great practice time.
Thats when I had my gorge beginning sessions.
The wind usually isn't as good in the morning, but hell, its good practice in shallow water.

Also, Sauvie is great for learning, especially if you can get there before everybody else.

$ociopath

Since 28 Nov 2007
523 Posts
Twilight Zone
Addicted

PostTue Jun 03, 08 6:04 pm    spots Reply with quote

there is plenty of room at sauvie island especially if yo go in the next day or two Rolling Eyes jones beach seems like a winner! I've never been. I am still learning ,the first thing I learned,I need space. I wouldn't touch the sandbar with a 5mtr kite LOL. No seriously though I think your on something.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 03, 08 6:05 pm     Reply with quote

jack wrote:
...Kite early in the morning or later in the evening and it will go along way to ease tension...

Do not kite later in the evening, I would say this could be one of the busiest / worst times to be out there learning. The morning is definitely a good time to learn at the sandbar, there will be a lot of room and you most likely wont be getting in many peoples way.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Jun 03, 08 6:09 pm     Reply with quote

Dont look over the oregon coast. Its HUGE and sandy.

www.naishkites.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jun 03, 08 6:10 pm     Reply with quote

If you are barely up on the board and not staying upwind, then I'd say take another lesson or two before attempting to go at it on your own.

Definitely make sure you take a lesson with a school that teaches from jetskis like New Wind. Learning from a jetski will give you the safest and most effective way to learn to stay upwind and deal with riding in the Gorge. Plus you will be in your own space and not having to worry about dodging other folks.

The other alternative of trying to find a dry spot of sand to do laps on, and hope you don't overshoot it and head towards the bridge, all while dodging other kiters.... well lets just say it'd be a waste of a trip to the Gorge.

I guarantee you 1 hour learning with jetski support will be equivalent of 5 days or more trying to learn on your own by doing hikes on the beach. Its worth the money.

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jun 03, 08 6:37 pm     Reply with quote

Inept_Fun wrote:
jack wrote:
...Kite early in the morning or later in the evening and it will go along way to ease tension...

Do not kite later in the evening, I would say this could be one of the busiest / worst times to be out there learning. The morning is definitely a good time to learn at the sandbar, there will be a lot of room and you most likely wont be getting in many peoples way.

When i said late in the day, i really meant after dark...

$ociopath

Since 28 Nov 2007
523 Posts
Twilight Zone
Addicted

PostTue Jun 03, 08 6:43 pm     Reply with quote

all ya need is some foglamps on yer helmet an some neons on yer kite

wjb

Since 14 Aug 2007
223 Posts
Nor Cal
Stoked

PostTue Jun 03, 08 6:51 pm     Reply with quote

If you don't have good board skills. Take a wakeboard lesson or have a buddy pull you on your kiteboard behind a boat. It will go a long way to helping you stay up when you go back to the kite.

Cole135

Since 26 May 2008
61 Posts

PostTue Jun 03, 08 6:51 pm     Reply with quote

big winds has the best equipment and is also by jet ski.

Tan

Since 03 Jun 2008
23 Posts
St Kilda, Australia

PostTue Jun 03, 08 6:55 pm     Reply with quote

Wow....thanks everyone for the advice. All much appreciated and taken on board. (no pun intended)

I will be on my own so maybe another lesson is the go.....
Early morning or fog lamps...Gotcha.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostTue Jun 03, 08 7:30 pm     Reply with quote

don't hesitate to ask anybody if they are carpooling anywhere. I think Lyle (correct me if I'm wrong) is pretty good for beginners because of the big shallow sand bar, its just a bit far away form pdx. If you're up for the drive, Lincoln city on the coast has a really awesome bay (Siletz Bay) that has a huge sandbar. with high tide it has about two feet of water on it, and is about as big as three football fields!

Tan

Since 03 Jun 2008
23 Posts
St Kilda, Australia

PostTue Jun 03, 08 7:32 pm     Reply with quote

I didnt even think of the coast. Good point. I live in portland so I am probably midway between HR, Sauvie and the coast.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed Jun 04, 08 7:13 am     Reply with quote

Don't forget floras lake. And the morning for sure I am always amazed at how few people hit the dawn patrol 7am and you have almost any launch in the gorge to yourself.

Oregon Surf Shop Tim

Since 04 Feb 2008
70 Posts
Lincoln City Oregon

PostWed Jun 04, 08 7:39 am     Reply with quote

Siletz bay in Lincoln City,

Beware of driftlogs but all in all it is a pretty beginner friendly spot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: