Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Stay off the grass
Page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Author Message
Moondog1

Since 09 Aug 2019
3 Posts

Kook



PostTue Sep 24, 19 5:37 pm    Stay off the grass Reply with quote

There were exactly 0 windsurfers at the ES today Sept. 24th. There were 25-30 kiters. There were 15 spectators. What a joke that we can't use the grass for launching and landing. I called Daryl twice to discuss the situation and she has never returned my call.

_________________
moondog

Youre a kook you cant even safely launch at the sandspit ,maybe you should go back to Bingen!

View user's profile Send private message
tgautier

Since 22 Oct 2016
29 Posts

 



PostThu Sep 26, 19 5:37 pm     Reply with quote

Today from 1-3 there were all of about 7 kiters on the water maybe 5 spectators and one windfoiler sailing the waterfront.

So I guess that we just aren’t going to get an ok at all this season? I mean seriously what gives.

Pepi?

View user's profile Send private message
knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
440 Posts

Obsessed



PostThu Sep 26, 19 6:36 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe

Learn the history
Join an organization trying to help
Take some positive action

Oh yea, and quit bitchin’

_________________
curiously observing blurry patterns while slightly distracted

View user's profile Send private message
Trent

Since 10 May 2012
61 Posts
Hood River
 



PostFri Sep 27, 19 3:31 am     Reply with quote

Oh man, these rich white people problems are heart breaking.

View user's profile Send private message
a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
44 Posts

 



PostFri Sep 27, 19 6:16 am    K Reply with quote

Trent wrote:
Oh man, these rich white people problems are heart breaking.


I'm glad someone said it 😆😆. The privelidge and first world problems are hilarious. This summer at ES, i heard a group complaining that they didn't have their kite caddies here like they usually do on every other international trip. It was painful to hear lol! Exercise and the hike are a good thing. Stay humble and happy kiting!

View user's profile Send private message
SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
641 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member


PostFri Sep 27, 19 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

Trent wrote:
Oh man, these rich white people problems are heart breaking.


No doubt it is a first world problem, but your statement comes across as racist because it is. To be clear I am not saying you are a racist, but would you be as comfortable putting any other race into the same sentence? doubt it.

View user's profile Send private message
Trent

Since 10 May 2012
61 Posts
Hood River
 



PostFri Sep 27, 19 12:28 pm     Reply with quote

I would not be comfortable putting any other race in my statement BECAUSE the overwhelming majority of kiters in The Gorge are white males. It's just an observation.

My statement also speaks to the issue of white privilege. It's a thing. Too many white people pretend it's not a thing, myself included often times.

View user's profile Send private message
StevieNix

Since 19 Sep 2015
1 Posts
Hood River
New Member



PostFri Sep 27, 19 2:08 pm     Reply with quote

I launched off the sandbar, because the wind was changing directions every couple of minutes, but the fact that some people want to launch of the grass is understandable to me. When the water was really low and the lessons were on the west side of the sandbar, I saw two tangles between experienced kiters and beginners. It made me nervous enough I usually body dragged in past the lessons. I think the port had an opportunity to enhance safety there by opening the grass which they missed, but I understand they have a lot going on and sometimes we, the kiters, will disagree with them.
Last edited by StevieNix on Sat Sep 28, 19 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message
Trent

Since 10 May 2012
61 Posts
Hood River
 



PostFri Sep 27, 19 2:14 pm     Reply with quote

The Hate in my voice? Whom do you think I hate?

View user's profile Send private message
caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
320 Posts

Obsessed



PostFri Sep 27, 19 3:45 pm     Reply with quote

First, I try to always follow the local rules based on respect for the people that made them. There’s no way I want to jeopardize access just cuz I’m lazy or think I know better. But it’s so sweet to just launch from the grass, know your launcher, save the walk time and keep my gear dry and sand free. But until it’s legit, you won’t catch me grass launching till it has the grace of the port, even though it’s irritating!

View user's profile Send private message
SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
641 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member


PostFri Sep 27, 19 6:21 pm     Reply with quote

Trent wrote:
I would not be comfortable putting any other race in my statement BECAUSE the overwhelming majority of kiters in The Gorge are white males. It's just an observation.

My statement also speaks to the issue of white privilege. It's a thing. Too many white people pretend it's not a thing, myself included often times.


Nice dodge. Then you doubled down on white privilege BS. Waste of time....

View user's profile Send private message
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
3749 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member


PostFri Sep 27, 19 7:22 pm     Reply with quote

Jesus Christ, this is a KITEBOARDING forum. Leave your politics of any type on Facebook. Rather than buy into the hate and divisiveness of the day, we like to promote peace through kiteboarding here. There are other venues for your politics. This applies to both the Left and the Right. Nothing destroys a forum like this faster than politics.

View user's profile Send private message
wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1418 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster



PostFri Sep 27, 19 8:33 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Jesus Christ, this is a KITEBOARDING forum. Leave your politics of any type on Facebook. Rather than buy into the hate and divisiveness of the day, we like to promote peace through kiteboarding here. There are other venues for your politics. This applies to both the Left and the Right. Nothing destroys a forum like this faster than politics.


Isn't this stuff seasonal? Our summer breeze and session days wane.... we start bitching again.

_________________
CGKA Member
-------
Kip Wylie

View user's profile Send private message
Trent

Since 10 May 2012
61 Posts
Hood River
 



PostFri Sep 27, 19 8:42 pm     Reply with quote

My message here is simply this - stop whining about where we are allowed or not allowed to launch our $1500 kites and just go enjoy the lifestyle that we are all fortunate enough to live. The whining just makes us sound like self-important, unaware douchebags.

View user's profile Send private message
McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
83 Posts
Corbett
 



PostFri Sep 27, 19 11:02 pm    x Reply with quote

.
Last edited by McLovin on Sun Sep 29, 19 12:07 am; edited 2 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
tgautier

Since 22 Oct 2016
29 Posts

 



PostSat Sep 28, 19 4:00 pm     Reply with quote

Man I gotta say this thread has been disappointing.

Quote:

Maybe

Learn the history
Join an organization trying to help
Take some positive action


How? What's the history? You yourself are not helping you're just trying to put others down for not knowing the reasoning (we can't all know all the reasons and history). This thread has a legitimate question in it - and all you did was contribute nothing but disdain.

Quote:

I'm glad someone said it 😆😆. The privelidge and first world problems are hilarious. This summer at ES, i heard a group complaining that they didn't have their kite caddies here like they usually do on every other international trip. It was painful to hear lol! Exercise and the hike are a good thing. Stay humble and happy kiting!


Wondering how or when we can launch off the grass is not "bitching". It's been a custom every year for the launch to revert back to the grass after the busy season but this year has been different. "First world" and all that have no bearing here - just because the sport is viewed by you as "first world" doesn't mean your opinion is legitimate. Lots of sports are "First World" - Wakeboarding, Auto-cross, Skydiving, etc. etc. Do we just go around turning on everyone that does those sports and because they do those sports and anytime they have a question just harp on them for being first world problems? Your argument is baseless and seems to serve as simply a way for you to complain about the people on the forum...and not provide any value in the way of discussion btw.

Quote:

My message here is simply this - stop whining about where we are allowed or not allowed to launch our $1500 kites and just go enjoy the lifestyle that we are all fortunate enough to live. The whining just makes us sound like self-important, unaware douchebags.


No it doesn't - it's a legitimate concern to understand why we cannot launch or land somewhere. You're just trying to invent ways to criticize people - and not helping in any way. If you really were as chill as you say you were I think you would not be so critical. Most people I know that are truly chill are exactly that - you won't hear them criticizing others. They lead by example and they help out others.

---

Now can we get back to the actual question in this thread and as was said perfectly here:

Quote:

Jesus Christ, this is a KITEBOARDING forum. Leave your politics of any type on Facebook. Rather than buy into the hate and divisiveness of the day, we like to promote peace through kiteboarding here. There are other venues for your politics. This applies to both the Left and the Right. Nothing destroys a forum like this faster than politics.

View user's profile Send private message
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
3749 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member


PostSat Sep 28, 19 11:05 pm     Reply with quote

Trent wrote:
My message here is simply this - stop whining about where we are allowed or not allowed to launch our $1500 kites and just go enjoy the lifestyle that we are all fortunate enough to live. The whining just makes us sound like self-important, unaware douchebags.


Thanks for taking the politics out of your posts. That said, it would be nice if you would also take the condescending tone out of your posts. the terms "whining" and "douchebag" are inappropriate and insulting. I'm not saying you have to agree with Moondog1, but there are better ways to word your post. Personally, I think his/her post is an appropriate question. As I spent years as a member of the BOD of the CGKA, I think my opinion can be classified as "informed." You too have a right to an opinion Trent, but try and be polite. Try and learn to respect other people's opinions, and argue the merits of their arguments. When you make personal attacks you are only admitting that you can not make any reasonable argument against the opinion you attack.

You know, I've been fortunate enough to kite all over the world in my line of work. I've been involved in kiteboarding since 2004. Early on, there was considerable prejudice against kiteboarding in the windsurfer community across much of the planet. (Just like the early prejudice against snow boarders in the skiing community.) Over the years, I've seen this prejudice dissolve almost everywhere, except in the Gorge. Why is the Gorge holding out? It is my opinion that the reason is that we continue to segregate the kiting and windsurfing communities.

Today in Kailua I was launched twice, both times by windsurfers. There is NO antagonism here between the two communities because we all use, launch and land from the same beach. We all hang out and drink together, and rush to each other's aid when needed. The launch at Kailua is FAR smaller than the Event Site and FAR more crowded with non-participants. There is NO technical reason not to allow full kite access at the Event Site. The rest of the world does it...

If you will all remember, it was the CGKA that did the work and got us all partial access at the Event site. Thanks to people like Moondog1 "whining." (Sarcasm of previous insult; no insult intended.) Without people pointing out problems like this, nothing gets done. (Yes, it's a first world problem, as is everything in our first world life's. Does that mean we should just sit back, shut up and never try and fix anything?)

So why don't we have full access at the ES? Simple: the CGWA opposed it. As does the CGWWA. I personally have spoken to CGWA board members in the past--who did not know that an OG like me was a kiter--who expressed severe hate and antagonism towards kiters. I do not know if such attitudes still exist in any CGWWA board members. But I do wonder. What I do know is this: it is past time for the artificial separation between the two communities to end. When the CGWWA starts treating kiters and windsurfers equally, I will cease wondering if antagonism towards kiters still exists in any board members.

I'm not saying that it is always smart for a kiter to launch/land at the ES. It isn't. I am saying that the decision should be left to the kiter and peer pressure at the launch. When we start using the same space as the windsurfers, we will all learn that we have more in common than not. (As most of the rest of the world has already learned.) We will learn how to help one another. That makes the river safer for all of us.

In the end, we are all just playing with water-toys. What the hell does it matter what our toy of preference is? Keeping the ES segregated only keeps the mistrust and antagonism alive. (As segregation does in all of life.) It's past time for the CGWWA to keep it's word and end the distinction between ALL water sports. This is more important than you might think, and transcends which water toy we choose to play with. The better we all work together, the better we'll be able to defend the mighty Columbia River from the many dangers that threaten it today.

This is just my opinion. I do think though that it is pretty obvious that the more cohesive we are as a group, the more effective we will be on a wide range of issues. Some of which are pretty darned important.

View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum