Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Flying to La Ventana Jan 22nd, anybody going ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Gorgegezzer

Since 14 Jan 2007
66 Posts

PostFri Aug 31, 18 8:05 am    Flying to La Ventana Jan 22nd, anybody going ? Reply with quote

First trip to LV. Have a casita reserved. I have inquired about a shuttle but not firmed. I have talked to some regular LV visitors and read some posts. I am staying for 20 days. I am not an experienced traveler. Any advice?

tkaraszewski

Since 21 Oct 2016
19 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Aug 31, 18 10:09 am     Reply with quote

Not sure if I'm going this season or not, but La Ventana is pretty easy. Fly to Los Cabos, pick up your car (shuttle or rental car) and drive up. The drive up is easy and directions work fine in Google Maps. You can download offline maps to your phone ahead of time if you're worried about having cell service down there (check with your cell provider).

Once you get there there's only one main road through town. Town is full of visitors who kite (and speak English), and most of the people who work in the tourism industry also speak English, in case you're worried about that.

Just ignore all the guys trying to get you to look at time shares on the way out of the Los Cabos airport and you'll be fine. When I was there last winter, there wasn't much in the way of working ATMs in LV, so it might be wise to get some pesos out of an ATM in Los Cabos before you drive up, but check with people who are down there before you arrive. There's an active Facebook group with lots of info and Olivia at Playa Central is really helpful.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
344 Posts
SE Portland
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 31, 18 11:00 am     Reply with quote

Don't exchange money at the airport - their exchange rate sucks, you can usually change money in town in the main bars at better rate.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 31, 18 11:33 am     Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
Don't exchange money at the airport - their exchange rate sucks, you can usually change money in town in the main bars at better rate.

Sometimes there is no cash available in LV.

Buy some pesos from your bank before heading down. Exchange rate isn't great but at least you don't have to worry about finding pesos right away. I use Wells Fargo. It takes some time as they have to ship to my local bank from Portland.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
344 Posts
SE Portland
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 31, 18 11:38 am     Reply with quote

And as far as riding goes - don't get stuck riding only in front of Baja Joe's it's the easy, convenient and obvious place to be.... but the wind there comes last, dies first and is weaker than little north of LV plus it gets really crowded.
Find buddies to do downwinders from Rasta Beach to Playa Central or Baja Joe's (pretty much two cars are needed for those).

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 31, 18 3:30 pm     Reply with quote

this guy put some work into making a guide. seems like good info.

ive been a few times, there are lots of options and its a pretty easy trip

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-40796.html&highlight=

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
443 Posts
white salmon
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 31, 18 5:07 pm     Reply with quote

Have your van driver stop in Los Barriles at the ATM a couple blocks on the right after you make the turnoff. The best beaches are north of town, sandy and less kiters.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 31, 18 8:37 pm     Reply with quote

If you are an AAA member they will sell you pesos at a decent rate. Check before you go as it changes daily. And Ventana these days might as well be a suburb in the US so it will be easy to adapt. Enjoy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: