Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Pulley Bar?
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
$ociopath

Since 28 Nov 2007
523 Posts
Twilight Zone
Addicted

PostFri Jan 29, 10 7:59 pm    Pulley Bar? Reply with quote

I want to build a pulley bar. Can anyone explain the basics or have a good pic of one? I found a couple on google but no good pictures. Would anyone have one they would be willing to let me demo this spring?

pndla

Since 10 Jul 2006
11 Posts

PostSat Jan 30, 10 2:54 am     Reply with quote

https://www.airushkiteboarding.com/images/Bar_Powerglide.jpg

http://www.kite-fantastic.co.uk/articles/mx5alan/images/pully.jpg

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jan 30, 10 10:11 am     Reply with quote

Joby is prolly the most knowledgeable person wtih pulley bars in the world. Im sure he can hook you up with all the necessary info!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
$ociopath

Since 28 Nov 2007
523 Posts
Twilight Zone
Addicted

PostSat Jan 30, 10 10:30 am     Reply with quote

cool thanks Thumb's Up

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostSat Jan 30, 10 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

I too am interested in trying a pully bar this season.
I just checked out the air rush website and they have an Aluminum pully bar marked down from $149 to $49. I dont know what comes with it but if its got the bar, pully and then it might not be such a bad deal to try.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSat Jan 30, 10 3:43 pm    Re: Pulley Bar? Reply with quote

perryj wrote:
I want to build a pulley bar.

why? what you planning on doing with it?
How many pull ups can you do?

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostSun Jan 31, 10 6:03 am     Reply with quote

Here is something to consider: The "Billy Bar"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cDZvrCHZJQ

Here is another video of the inventor of this 'sheetable' pulley bar, combining the use of his bar with the use of another new invention, the sliding spreader bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JdKXZLnGjo

Anybody want to place a bet on whether either of these inventions will make it into mainstream kitesurfing?

Will they outsell the Turbolauncher, the GoJo, the Grabass, the Kite Lobster, the Line Manager, the two piece kiteboard, the Flowbee reel, the Betty Boop Loop, the...?

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSun Jan 31, 10 8:18 am     Reply with quote

Tungsten222 on the Kiteforum
made and posted a nice sheetable Pulley Bar
Which looks quite a bit simpler

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostSun Jan 31, 10 4:08 pm    Re: Pulley Bar? Reply with quote

perryj wrote:
I want to build a pulley bar. Can anyone explain the basics or have a good pic of one? I found a couple on google but no good pictures. Would anyone have one they would be willing to let me demo this spring?

Why not just use a regular bar with a locking mechanism? Unless you like short bar and no center lines, then going for a modern regular bar with a good stopper is just as good.

otherwise the airush pulley is probably one of the better ones.

The sheetable pulley bar doesn't make any sense to me. There is a depower adjustment strap on the pulley bars, which does the same as a one - off sheetable. The point of a pulley bar is two things: Not move the bar up and down the depower. This will keep a much more constant pull, and you use your board to adjust. It is very efficient once you get used to it....but it isn't anything that a stopper cannot do.

The second is to have the front lines on a pulley. The point of having the front lines on a pulley is to make the turning more efficient, by letting out a little on the frontlines as you pull in on the back lines. This is really where the bar differentiates itself. However most pulley bars are way shorter than regular bars, which again negates the advantage you gain from the pulley.

Of course another advantage is not having a line through the middle of the bar making it more convenient to place you hand there. No chafing from the center line.

$ociopath

Since 28 Nov 2007
523 Posts
Twilight Zone
Addicted

PostSun Jan 31, 10 5:13 pm     Reply with quote

The reason I want to try a pulley bar is just what you have explained. The fact that the kite rolls into the corners and makes it steer quicker is what I'm after. I have all C-kites for the time being it is what I have and can afford. I want to build the bar so I can get quicker steering out of some of my larger kites 13-15mtr. I don't think not having depower will be as big an issue in lighter winds. I figure I can build a bar out of spare parts I have and pay 20$ for the right pulley.I may just order one of the airush bars though. I like the idea of the depowerable bar I think that would work. I'm certainly no pro, but I disagree with the longer the bar the quicker the steering theory. In my experience there comes a point when I pull the bar and one line is slack while I wait for the kite to catch up. If a pulley bar gives all new characteristics to the kites I already have why not get one. Besides I might like it better and if not there is always E-bay Very Happy

wakeup

Since 11 Sep 2005
328 Posts
always
Obsessed

PostSun Jan 31, 10 9:04 pm     Reply with quote

wow
never thought that i would ever see this?

i have some best bars with the pulley and everything if anyone is interested

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 01, 10 6:02 am     Reply with quote

perryj wrote:

I don't think not having depower will be as big an issue in lighter winds. Very Happy

I'll be interested in the results of your project.

You may be surprised by what you find out concerning the value of "depower" and "low wind".

I have found "back-stall" to be a significant evil factor in low wind kiting... and the only way to make the kite behave and climb back up in the sky to the position, where you want it, is to severely flatten the angle of attack of the kite by pushing the bar away, thereby, using the 'depower' feature. In light winds, you can't successfully 'power' the kite up into the sky, but must gently 'float' the kite up, by depowering it.

This conversation is like deja vu, all over again...2003...trying to figure out how to have more fun with my 20 meter Naish Aero II...loved the "tinkering" with all that stuff...then, they invented the bow kite and spoiled all our fun!

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostMon Feb 01, 10 9:17 am     Reply with quote

to get out and upwind , sheeting helps quite a bit
downwind a faster turning kite
helps some

$ociopath

Since 28 Nov 2007
523 Posts
Twilight Zone
Addicted

PostMon Feb 01, 10 8:07 pm     Reply with quote

kitezilla wrote:
perryj wrote:

I don't think not having depower will be as big an issue in lighter winds. Very Happy

I'll be interested in the results of your project.

You may be surprised by what you find out concerning the value of "depower" and "low wind".

I have found "back-stall" to be a significant evil factor in low wind kiting... and the only way to make the kite behave and climb back up in the sky to the position, where you want it, is to severely flatten the angle of attack of the kite by pushing the bar away, thereby, using the 'depower' feature. In light winds, you can't successfully 'power' the kite up into the sky, but must gently 'float' the kite up, by depowering it.

This conversation is like deja vu, all over again...2003...trying to figure out how to have more fun with my 20 meter Naish Aero II...loved the "tinkering" with all that stuff...then, they invented the bow kite and spoiled all our fun!
Good point. I still want to try one. I'll just wait for a steadier wind day. If I like it I might get that billy bar?; if nothing else it would be another toy. I bet some of those foil kites could be improved with something like that? Since I'm on the subject I also wanted to clarify there is two kinds of light wind kiting; light wind kiting Neutral and Sauvie Island light wind kiting Rolling Eyes

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostMon Feb 01, 10 10:48 pm     Reply with quote

perryj wrote:

but I disagree with the longer the bar the quicker the steering theory. In my experience there comes a point when I pull the bar and one line is slack while I wait for the kite to catch up. If a pulley bar gives all new characteristics to the kites I already have why not get one. Besides I might like it better and if not there is always E-bay Very Happy

There is NO difference between having a longer regular bar compared to a shorter pulley bar as long as you do not depower while turning the kite.

There is nothing magic about this. The bar will not give your kite a new characteristic. The bar it self has a few different characteristics, but it does not change the kite at all (obviously).

All you really need to do is to put a stopper on your current bar and you have the same as a pulley bar. The only real reason to use a pulley now is if you want to get the center line off your bar.

wakeup

Since 11 Sep 2005
328 Posts
always
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 02, 10 6:22 am     Reply with quote

uh
it certainly can change the feel of the kite
i have used a pulley bar exclusively for 7 yrs, and know this for a fact

sold a bar to twin fin
i have more if anyone wants them

Last edited by wakeup on Tue Feb 02, 10 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostTue Feb 02, 10 6:43 am     Reply with quote

It's fruitless, Joby; they don't understand. Pulley bar is not just another bar. It's different way to ride.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: