Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

What size kite?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

Since 23 Nov 2005
4 Posts
PDX
Kook

PostFri Jan 13, 06 12:22 pm    What size kite? Reply with quote

I'm hoping to pick up a kite for my boyfriend for his birthday. He just started riding at Sauvies last summer, but I think that the wind was too light for the 12m kite that he uses at the gorge. I'm thinking of buying him a kite to use at Sauvie this summer. He's about 150-160 lbs. What size kite would I want to get him? Thanks!

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostFri Jan 13, 06 1:28 pm     Reply with quote

16 or 17 usually does the job at SI.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostFri Jan 13, 06 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

If it doesn't work out let me know, with that kind of thoughtfulnessI can say I love you. He is one lucky guy.

Since 23 Nov 2005
4 Posts
PDX
Kook

PostFri Jan 13, 06 4:08 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I guess one other thing I should ask is what you'd recommend on buying used or older gear. (I'm just learning this sport so I don't know much about the gear.) I've heard that the equipment is advancing so quickly that stuff gets outdated pretty fast. So, is buying 2004 or 2005 gear OK if its in good shape? Anything to watch out for and not buy because its proven to suck after something better came along?

Thanks for taking the time to reply... and registered, I'm not sooo selfless... I usually get him climbing gear gifts (which just forces him to go climbing with me) this is my first attempt at thoughtfulness...

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jan 13, 06 4:42 pm    gear gifts Reply with quote

heya,

manoman you sound like quite a woman!

gear advice is REALLY difficult. you can sort through hours of reading on this and other forums and what it all boils down to is personal taste and style. and with the recent development of bow kites and sle inflatables, (not to mention foil kites) i guess i would advise you but him a ticket on expedia for a kite TRIP, and let him ponder his own future with regard to gear.

maybe a giift cert at a local shop.

anywho. . .

jimbo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: