Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Resurrecting the Gorge Games?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jan 11, 06 5:43 pm    Resurrecting the Gorge Games? Reply with quote

The Gorge Games may be gone forever, but does that mean we can't have a Freestyle event? or boarder cross? or a Stevenson -> Hood River blowout?

I've always wanted to do the blowout, I'd even volunteer my girlfriend on jetski support if it'd make a difference. Very Happy

Anyone got info?

tacksharp

Since 06 Dec 2005
91 Posts
The Hood
Photographer

PostWed Jan 11, 06 7:03 pm    Hmm...maybe? Reply with quote

The idea is good, but logistics and support take so much work. I was a photographer for/with the Gorge Games since the beginning, and many of the headaches surrounded insurance, access, permits, etc. There was never a lack of interest, but getting the right support in place proved to be the challenge each time. Peg Lalor still lives in town, I'm sure she could provide all of the insight on what it would take . . .

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostWed Jan 11, 06 7:18 pm     Reply with quote

Windsurfed the Blowout in 1986, I think it was. Cory Roesler blew by us on waterskis and his frame kite, while we wallowed in light air downwind from Wind Mountain. That was a glimpse of the future!

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostWed Jan 11, 06 7:20 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds great! I sure hope there is atleast one competition here this summer. Anybody know if the gridge of the gods kiteboarding festival is happening this year?

tacksharp

Since 06 Dec 2005
91 Posts
The Hood
Photographer

PostWed Jan 11, 06 9:56 pm     Reply with quote

LOL..Bridge of the Gods is the same deal..after Floyd got it going, and then Renee Hanks helped organize..nobody took the reigns and kept it afloat. What a great festival too...I think one of the kite companies should pick it up. It's a cheap, easy festival that Stevenson loves and it would be cheap marketing for the title sponsor Laughing

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostThu Jan 12, 06 7:42 am     Reply with quote

Maybe NWKite.com should organize/sponsor a kiteboarding event Very Happy

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jan 12, 06 8:23 am     Reply with quote

trevorsmith wrote:
Maybe NWKite.com should organize/sponsor a kiteboarding event Very Happy

Sponser?! I got nothing! Wink

Though I wouldn't mind helping to organize a blowout race if that would help make it happen.

Does anyone know what type of boat/jetski support is usually offered for one of these? How many crafts does it take? Seems like with so many DNF's in the Stevenson -> Hood River race you'd need a lot of boats/ski's to pull people out of the water.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 12, 06 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

You could start a paypal donation account thing on and raise money for an event. It would be an even put on by riders, for riders, and paid by for riders. Could be cool...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jan 12, 06 5:06 pm     Reply with quote

Inept_Fun wrote:
You could start a paypal donation account thing on and raise money for an event. It would be an even put on by riders, for riders, and paid by for riders. Could be cool...

I love the idea, I just don't know where I'd start. I'd be great to get someone who has run these events in the past back in charge.

I guess I'd just ask that person what they need from all of us to make it happen again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: