Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sauvie Island Kiteboarding Guide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Jan 07, 06 11:47 pm    Sauvie Island Kiteboarding Guide Reply with quote

available at: http://www.nwkite.com/guides/sauvie_island/
Last edited by pkh on Thu Mar 23, 06 8:45 pm; edited 6 times in total

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jan 08, 06 8:18 am     Reply with quote

heya phil,
thanks for the sauvies guide, great info, and since i am now a bona fide upwinder (hey, i did it once uner perfiect conditions!), i hope to see you at si this summer.

what do you think about putting a group together to create an area-riding resource? kinda where what when on all the riding spots from astoria to idaho and astoria to floras, along the lines of your si guide. might be a cool fundraiser.

on another note, the fam and i are heading to cozumel in february for two weeks on the 8th, anyone else going to be down there?

jimbo

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Jan 08, 06 8:44 am     Reply with quote

That'd be cool, at this point though I am just into posting everything for free. That way anyone can contribute and we'll all benefit.

Eventually I'd like to put this guide and others in their own section that's more static. But for now we can just add suggestions and comments to it from everybody.

Cozumel - yep I will be there first/second week of February. We're staying on Country Club beach. C-ya there!

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jan 09, 06 12:40 am     Reply with quote

for sure
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Jan 09, 06 7:59 am     Reply with quote

Here's a couple other ideas....

1. Be wary of the outside 1/4 of the river. This is the main channel for barges/ships. The wind can be fluky over there so if you crash your kite it can be trouble.

2. Fishermen in the early spring - I don't give a carp about these cranky bastards, but all the screaming distracts from my session. Please give them a 100yd radius. Understand that they are not impressed by your tricks, so a big jump right in front of them will not win them over.

3. Keep an eye out for each others cars. Let's catch those car theives this year!

4. Beach Etiquette: Some of us have to jump through a lot of hoops just to get some water time. There is nothing more frustrating than riders who just plop there gear all over the beach. Be considerate when rigging and especially when landing.
-stack kites when not in use on the beach
-roll up lines if leaving them out will cause problems
-rig perpendicular to the wind to allow for more rigging space!

Rig_perp_to_the_wind.jpg 

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jan 09, 06 8:09 am     Reply with quote

importracer9 99 wrote:
its always nice to have a place to cruise and neva worry about rules and guidelines... dis rule thing feels like a slap in my face cause we been going there since we were young and the rules are unspoken/implied and common sense..... but i understand, da sport grows, and i guess ya gotta inforce em sometime.

the idea is if some n00b happens upon this page over the internet, I want to be sure they don't show up to the beach aciting a total kook.

To the riders that have been going there for years, like you said, they know the score.

All that said it might be necessary someday to have stricter rules that we all enforce, just to make sure the spot isn't banned forever. I often see Sheriff cars parked on the northern side of the burm. Best case scenario they are just enjoying the show, worst case scenario they are there because somebody told them kiteboarding was dangerous to other beach goers and should be banned. I'd say it will be a very sad day when one of them is watching and an incident goes down like I have seen a few times before.

Last edited by pkh on Mon Jan 09, 06 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Jan 09, 06 8:13 am     Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and I think the beach we typically launch from is called "Reeder" beach.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostTue Jan 10, 06 8:05 am     Reply with quote

Can someone with experience at Sauvies add something about the effect of the tide on the current?

Ta - Paul

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Jan 10, 06 12:07 pm     Reply with quote

With regards to the tide, the ocean affects the flow of the Columbia river all the way up to the first/last dam which in Bonneville. I believe the delay from the high tide time at the mouth of the Columbia is appox 5 plus hours at SI, even more for spots like Rooster Rock etc . . . There is a website that can pinpoint this, but I don't know what it is. Anyone?

If the tide is flowing with the wind one's appearent wind speed is deceased and conversely, if the tide is running out or opposing the wind it increases one's appearent wind speed. If you want to really experience this affect try one of the coastal bays on a out going tide with N to NW wind or try Rufus. Its like walking in the airport and then hopping on one of those level escalators.

As far as things to add: I would just say people who kite at SI, try to make the place better when you leave than when you got there. I'm mainly talking about the garbage on the beach. If you see some garbage, pick it up. Lets distinguish our user group from others. Bring a plastic bag and pick-up that bottle cap or piece of paper or broken glass, or beer bottle , but leave the dirty diaper balls for Wind Slither Twisted Evil [/quote]

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jan 13, 06 10:30 am     Reply with quote

If you show up to the Savies Island without proper knowledge and experience of how to kiteboard safely, you will be asked to leave.

Who is the proposed enforcment body?

Said another way, who will be the Kook Police?

cheers,

jp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: