Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

P-ed off fishmen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Apr 20, 05 8:16 am    P-ed off fishmen Reply with quote

Ok, I had some extra time out there on the beach last night because I lost my board. Crying or Very sad I had to body drag and landed in between the two parties of fishmen above the ASI boat. I was instantly yelled at and the fisherman didn't even want to hear my side of the story. Finally, got to tell my side of the story and put it in fishing terms. I told the guy what happens when you lose your motor and/or steering on a boat when fishing? Your subject to really whatever the elements want to do. I told him losing a board is very similar to that and it calmed him down.

Later that evening I went back to the fishing crew to here their concerns and this is what I heard.

*Apprently there is a great sand bank 8' deep just off the beach and it where the fish are.

*"We have been coming here for 15 yrs, you kiters are new thing". I said we all have rights to the public beach.

*"why do you guys have to wear wetsuits that are black, you look like sealions. . . " and this aids to spooking of salmon. (I told them that is going to be a tough thing to change and to start with the manufac. companies not the kiters). He wanted our wetsuits to be neon.

*"vessals going 15 mph or more should give a 200 yard berth of any other rec activity." This I can not confirm or deny. I don't know what law and or ordinance addresses this situation. Kiteboarding is so new, I'm sure the laws don't presently address kiteboarding. This was the guys/fishermen biggest bitch because the kiting emulates what sealions do, which is spashing water to harbor fish into smaller area, thus making it easier to get a meal. The fishmen didn't like the kites creating shaddows from above, this simulates a predator from above like a eagle, osprey or sea lion.

*"why do all you boarders have to come in close to shore to turn etc. . ." I told him depending on wind direction, there are areas on the water and the beach that have more favorable wind. I also told him why stunts are performed close to shore ie shorter self rescue, more people to pick up a lost board etc . .

Bottom line is the beach is a commodity with various activities going at the same time. Somes these activites compete for existing resources. In this case its just plain beach front and water access. The fishman problems in only really a problem when the two season happen at the same time. So March and April, this thing will resurface next season for sure if the conditions are right for sailing. Fishermen will always be out there depending on the fishing seasons length.

I told the fishmen that I would inform kiters through a forum of their concerns, but I also told him, when its windy like this, early season/preseason, that conflicts will arise because the kiters will come out in force. I said it like trying to abate an incoming/flood ocean tide or locus storm engrossing a crop field in Africa, not much one can do other than watch.

One other fishman said he would bring up his concerns and or displeasure with the kiting community with the local SI board or community. Whatever, the point is they are displeased with us. He wants to put us up/downriver of the nude beach.

So play nice on the beach/sand box today and try to give those guys a wide berth because it is their last day and it would show and or demonstate so good will/efforts on the kiting communities behalf.

PostWed Apr 20, 05 11:51 am     Reply with quote

Sounds like you should start going through the process to get a ban on fishing because they are reckless with their lines and leaving nets and shit all over, drinking beer, leaving garbage....etc.

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Apr 20, 05 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

How typical,,

We jump close to shore for the safety of it.

(typical delusional kitesurfer folk lore, wishful thinking, b/s etc. )

I don't want to start something here, but I'll tell you this, leave the fishermen alone stay away from thier spots,,

They are gainfully employed, even though they're drinking, chewing, littering,,etc, they are being productive, at least they wish to produce something.

You/we/me all kite freaks (produce) is a threat to navigation first, a pain in everyone's ass second, and yet you-all think they are fucking hero's first and last.

Just wise up,,,,the whole river is a better place without you/us.

Just dummy up and kite,, leave the real people alone and they just may ignore you if your lucky...(jump in there face for safety reasons..LOL)

That's the best you can hope for, to be ignored.

This ametuer perry Mason deal will all go to hell in a heartbeat,,once yo bro busts a move over the conversation,,,just for the safety in doing it in close,,, of course...

You (privleged) guys crack me up.

The truth is fish belong, fishermen belong,barges belong, we belong only as long as we keep a low profile, and one thing in mind>>

It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Leave the fisherman alone,,,
Thank God you guys think it's tits up there...
fokiten

PostWed Apr 20, 05 12:37 pm     Reply with quote

Fo... I'll take whatever tits nature puts in front of me...

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Apr 20, 05 12:38 pm     Reply with quote

Fo, what can be said about your posts that hasn't already been said about Tonya Harding? What you lack in literacy, you make up for in charm.

PostWed Apr 20, 05 12:53 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Slither, just ran into Tonya last night out in the Couv... She was mumbling something about taking out Fo's kneecap next...

Dude, what is your avator all about anyway?

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Apr 20, 05 3:11 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Hey Slither, just ran into Tonya last night out in the Couv... She was mumbling something about taking out Fo's kneecap next...

She loves me,,,

Can you blame her?

Really, soon as you guys start flexin yo muscle-heads shit's going to go tits up.

Don't talk to nobody,,,you don't know nothing,,you're leaving as soon as you can pack this crap up,,etc. stick with that,,,

Trust me,,,just dummy up.

and for christ sakes,,,stay there,,,thanks
fo

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Apr 20, 05 3:26 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

Don't you recognize Portland's beloved Tonya from her boxing promo photo? Ronnie James "The Little Man with the Big Sound" Dio was great but she is my latest inspirado. My Avitars are always changing, much like the coastal forecast for this week. Mad

Bam, please check that little box when you log in so we will always know it's you. Razz

PostWed Apr 20, 05 7:57 pm     Reply with quote

ya know, these punk ass fishermen have been causin alot of trouble........time to show em whos in charge Twisted Evil

PostSat Apr 23, 05 11:37 pm     Reply with quote

its time to rise up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: