Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Seattle Kiteboarders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kite_Steve

Since 19 Mar 2005
6 Posts
Seattle/North Bend
Kook

PostTue Apr 19, 05 5:34 pm    Seattle Kiteboarders Reply with quote

I live in the Seattle area and plan on starting to kiteboard (I am a LONG time windsurfer) this summer and want to know what are the most common size kites that you fly. I will be spending a lot of time in the Gorge but I also want to kite up here. Any recommendations? It looks like a 9/10 & 14 m will be the ticket for the Gorge but what about the Sound? 16? 18?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Apr 19, 05 7:39 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Steve -
If someone doesn't answer here, you can try the Yahoo nwkite group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/nwkite/

They are Seattle based and could give you the low down...

Good luck! Wave

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Apr 20, 05 7:26 am     Reply with quote

Never been kiting up in the seattle area, but the place to go for N to NW wind is Jetty Island in the bay off Everett, Wa. From what I have been told from a local rider there that 16, 18, 20 are common out there. 16 was mentioned the most.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Apr 20, 05 11:24 am     Reply with quote

There's nothin like a full quiver no matter where you are in the PNW. Start with a 12 and 16 and add a 20 and 8 when you can. No reason to go in smaller increments than 4m IMO.

PS. Buy my X2's!

PostFri Apr 22, 05 10:09 am     Reply with quote

personally, i would advocate something like 16, 12, 10, 8, with two different boards (one for lit, one for light). different boards can really make a difference... bring both to the waters edge and you can change up much more easily then changing kites.

for the high wind days its nice to have just the "right" size. 10 to an 8 feels more different then a 16 to an 18.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Apr 22, 05 10:56 am     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
personally, i would advocate something like 16, 12, 10, 8, with two different boards (one for lit, one for light). different boards can really make a difference... bring both to the waters edge and you can change up much more easily then changing kites.

for the high wind days its nice to have just the "right" size. 10 to an 8 feels more different then a 16 to an 18.

Okay then, buy Jason's quiver of X2's AND my Nemesis 10m. Very Happy

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostMon Apr 25, 05 1:07 pm    Re: Seattle Kiteboarders Reply with quote

My 2 cents: 9, 13, 17 or 10, 14, 18 depending manufacture
If your a 140lb dude, 7, 11, 15.
Get a pair of short lines, 23m, and a big board 160cm+ if your learning it will keep you not so powered up. REAL kiteboard sometimes has good deals on last years kites. http://www.realkiteboarding.com/, just e-mail them and see if they have any used kites. Also ikitesurf.com has a used kite section.

Also would recommend 2004 and newer kites cause they made big improvemnts between 03 and 04. you'll pay a bit more, but you'll have the kite longer then some guys 1998 kite that is almost dead. Cause I have one if you want it.

Trevor--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: