Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Taking you dog kiteboarding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
fullsail

Since 08 Dec 2005
5 Posts
Hood River
Kook

PostWed Dec 14, 05 11:47 am    Taking you dog kiteboarding. Reply with quote

Hello, I just moved to Hood River to work and learn to kiteboard. When the season rolls around I will be working 9-5 and then going kiteboarding. Problem is I want to get a dog, and would feel bad making he/she have to stay at home all day. Which finally gets me to my questions. Where is the closest spot to hood river where I could kiteboard and let my dog run around without getting in everyones way. Or is it alright to let the dog around around as long as he/she is friendly. What about the dog jump on peoples kites. I don't mind having to drive 20 minutes or giving up the best location to be able to do this. Thank you Marc

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Dec 14, 05 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

If you're dog isn't a psycho killer and isn't stupid enough to swim out into the channel, most people let their dogs run free at both the Event Site and at Lyle. My dog (pictured in my avatar!) is super friendly, but she tries to follow you everywhere which isn't so good when there's a lot of water around... Very Happy

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Dec 14, 05 1:09 pm     Reply with quote

"Trust the force Luke". . . Your instincts are correct... Not fair to a dog being locked up all day, then springing it loose while u go kiting in the evening. Dog left on the beach to pick-up bad habits, take dumbs and jump and claw on kites on the beach. Choose your battles wisely. I say get a quiver of kites for next spring and if you want a dog, get one at the end of the season so you will have time to bond with it etc . . . My 2 cents and I love dogs/cats and most other animals. Past victim of stray dog accident on the beach involving my kite. Smile

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Dec 14, 05 2:48 pm     Reply with quote

Here is a link to past "dog" problems.

http://nwkite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=200&highlight=dogs

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostWed Dec 14, 05 4:52 pm     Reply with quote

"I want to get a dog, and would feel bad making he/she have to stay at home all day."

How is it any different leaving the dog on the beach than it is at home. Either way your not spending time with it and everyone else has to deal with your dog running all over, peeing on stuff, ect..... I say get a dog only if you have some one who can stay on the beach and watch it. Just my two cents though.

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostThu Dec 15, 05 10:03 am     Reply with quote

Get a dog you can take to work and leave in the car (in a crate if necessary) so you can walk it every few hrs. When you get to the spit let the dog run around while your pumping up and then put it in your car just before you go out. When your done, let the dog fly around to its hearts delight. I use this routine and my pups get tons of running in. And pick up the shit if it dumps in a the kite area! Consider a breed that is easily trainable and OK on its own. Aussies, Heelers are good ones just as an example. Or maybe a smaller breed that doesn't need as much of a workout. You wanna get your dog through the puppy stages first so get one now and start working on a routine. Thanks, I'm here all week. Very Happy

fullsail

Since 08 Dec 2005
5 Posts
Hood River
Kook

PostThu Dec 15, 05 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

thank you for all the replies. I think letting the dog run around at the beach is much different than leaving it a home. I always took my roommates dog down to the playhole on the animas and she had a great time. she would run around swim in the eddies, play with other dogs and would drop the stick in the water and wait for a kayaker in the eddie to throw it do her. I guess it depends on the dog but I'm sure that sunny (roommates dog) would love running around and swimming. My concern is more that fact of ruining other peoples enjoyment. Maybe lyle would be a good place, I watch the video and the dogs were loving it. Is lyle that much less crowed than hood river. Where is the "Event Site". Marc

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Dec 15, 05 1:04 pm     Reply with quote

It depends, Lyle can get pretty busy when the wind's solid and the weather is nice (definately seems more gusty though). A lot of people don't like it because there are usually a lot of beginners (shallow waters make for good learning), but once you get up wind or drop below the "pond", it's usually cool. The "Event Site" is the main Hood River launch (west of the bridge).

charsumo

Since 02 Jul 2005
14 Posts

PostThu Dec 15, 05 11:05 pm     Reply with quote

I have 2 labs and take them with me to the Event Site and the Coast and let them run for awhile, then I just put them back in my car or tie them up at a log on the beach when it's my turn to go kiting and they just chill out. It's better than leaving them at home all day, because at least they get to run around for awhile and hang with me, which is really what's all about anyway. If you let them run while you're kiting, just be certain that it's not going to be someone else's problem.

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Dec 16, 05 7:45 am     Reply with quote

Actually, dogs left on the beach tied up are normally crying and barking for their owner, and there is very little shade to keep them cool in the summer at most spots. We normally don't bring ours unless someone can be with her to make sure she's not bothering anyone. Fullsail, bring a water dish, too, if you're planning to tie the dog up or leave him/ her in the car. - Tonya

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: