Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

nwkite.com: Best Photo 2005 Submissions
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Dec 12, 05 9:36 pm     Reply with quote

adams bored i bet...

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Dec 13, 05 8:41 am     Reply with quote

Let's Vote!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Dec 17, 05 10:04 am     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
Let's Vote!

But 2005 ain't over yet. Very Happy

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostSun Dec 18, 05 7:26 pm     Reply with quote

Good, cause I got to get just one last one in...

Bam

post.jpg 

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostSun Dec 18, 05 8:28 pm     Reply with quote

Nice!! Love that one Bamer!!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Dec 18, 05 9:32 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah that one just says it all for the Gorge. Where else could get you get a scene like that?

tacksharp

Since 06 Dec 2005
91 Posts
The Hood
Photographer

PostSun Dec 18, 05 9:52 pm    A few more on a snowy night . . . Reply with quote

Ahh..was just looking at an insane photo from Ben Wilson down in Indo that made me crave a bit of water time. That won't be happening in the Gorge anytime soon, but after seeing Bam's scenic shot of The Hood it inspired me to pull a few hella tight shots. Whenever I can shoot super tight, it's kinda fun. This shot made my first start up mag, International Kiteboarder, and it's an amazing tech shot for all of you tech heads out there. Jobe and I had 20 minutes at sunset before he had to work. We had actually never met, I don't think. Anyway, he was dead tired but I asked him to ride once more. I had a 600 f/4 locked on to my Canon. This shot is full frame! Shot at f/4 with a 600 lens, that means my depth of field was less than an inch and a half. Jobe actually disappeared out of the frame and I hit the shutter has he was coming down. Low and behold..you can see the 5 o'clock shadow on his face if you look close. Inside the eyes of a kiter. . .

Jobe Cook. The Hood - 600 f/4 full frame
 Jobe Cook. The Hood - 600 f/4 full frame  Jobe1.jpg 

tacksharp

Since 06 Dec 2005
91 Posts
The Hood
Photographer

PostSun Dec 18, 05 9:56 pm    The Hood Reply with quote

Just checked out the trailer from Autofocus (yep, I'm really jonesing to hit some carribean water and shoot!) and culled through a few shots of Mauricio Abreu. Definitely one of my favorite riders to photograph - super innovative, solid and extremely fluid. In a world of his own..a little wakeskate action with the Hood in the background..

Mauricio Abreu. strapless. the spit.
 Mauricio Abreu. strapless. the spit.  Morris.jpg 

tacksharp

Since 06 Dec 2005
91 Posts
The Hood
Photographer

PostSun Dec 18, 05 10:04 pm    da chicas Reply with quote

Sunset..the spit..a full crew of beautiful female kiters..nice wind..yep..this is my memory of summer in the hood this year . . .

Chicas. The Spit.
 Chicas. The Spit.  Kitechicas.jpg 

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Dec 19, 05 8:39 am    Re: A few more on a snowy night . . . Reply with quote

tacksharp wrote:
...I had a 600 f/4 locked on to my Canon.

Jim -
What kind of Canon is it that you have? must be a real monster... do you usually use a tripod? what kind of shutter speeds does it take to get photos that sharp?

Astounding photos, you are really spoiling us.

Thumb's Up

tacksharp

Since 06 Dec 2005
91 Posts
The Hood
Photographer

PostMon Dec 19, 05 3:49 pm    Gear Reply with quote

Well, I shoot with a Canon EOS 1D Mark II. I have alway shot with Canon and always will. If you shoot with Nikon, sell it while you can get your money and come over from the dark side! Anyway, it's just over 8 megapixels in RAW mode, and it shoots 8.5 frames a second. Since I do so much sequence work, this is my tool of choice. If I shot more 'one off' shots, I would shoot withe Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II at 16 megapixels (and if I had the extra $8,000.00 for this body). Nonetheless, the camera is a work of art. For any lens over a 400, I do use a tripod. I think the 600 f/4 weighs in at just over 14 pounds? So, a tripod is a must. That is half the battle with a big lens, just managing the thing! Other than with a big lens, I never, ever shoot with a tripod. Way too cumbersome and restrictive. I hate those things. In terms of how I get my shots so sharp, it's more a matter of critical focus than shutter speed. I do shoot fast, and usually wide open -- meaning I use as high a shutter speed as I can and I shoot at the widest aperture. People argue that lenses are sharpest in the medium aperature range - I beg to differ. It's just my style. I trust my eyes and instincts to produce a completely sharp image in combination with the best glass made. I shoot with only Canon professional "L" series glass. Period. Nothing else compares and the shots prove that. Off brand lenses rarely produce the same color quality and edge-to-edge sharpness. There are a few gems, but few and far between. Lastly, not trying to sound to artsy-fartsy, but I really focus when I shoot. I tend to tune everything else out and concentrate on the situation. I try to imagine what I want the shot to look like in terms of light and composition and then set my exposure and lens choice accordingly. The last piece is serendipity -- the biggest piece. When everything hits - light, focus, rider, shooter -- then the possibility for a good image exists. All of the shots posted are from free riding sessions. The riders of course know I'm there to get photos, but I don't tell them what to do. I tell them if I need them closer, etc., but the move, etc. is never scripted. Before this starts to sound like a photography forum, kiting just happens to have all of the elements for spectacular water photography. Nothing else compares. I hope to be in Costa Rica and Australia in 2006 - with some incredible possiblities currently in the planning. Thanks for enduring the babble..happy holidays and a prosperous 2006 to everyone..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: