Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Neilpryde 4000 Series 5/4/3 Drysuit...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Nov 24, 05 11:12 am    Neilpryde 4000 Series 5/4/3 Drysuit...? Reply with quote

Has anyone heard anything about this suit? Is it a real drysuit? The only reason I ask is because it pretty much looks like a normal wetsuit and it seems thick for a drysuit. I searched around online, but couldn't really find anything helpful. Any insight would be awesome! Thanks, -Adam

http://www.neilprydewaterwear.com/en/2005/product/product_list.php?ID=401

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostThu Nov 24, 05 12:08 pm     Reply with quote

Its a very warm wetsuit. All the seams are sealed, virtually dry neck, zipper etc. Small (hopefully) amounts of water will get in around the ankles, wrists and neck. If you get the right size so it fits you really tight everywhere very little water will get in or be flushed through the suit so it will keep you pretty warm. All the manufacturers of wetsuits make 'semi dry' steamers - 5mm+ or thicker. They have to be well sealed and fit really well to keep you warm. You can wear a hooded vest, rash guard and so on to add a bit more warmth to them. They rely on the thickness of the neoprene for insulation and the fit of the suit to stop water flushing. If the suit is too thin you will slowly chill but it's flushing which will really get you. The sea is cold here so the surf shops are pretty good at fitting cold water steamers. When these suits fit well they tend to be a pain to get in and out of because they are so tight. Not so much of a problem when you are young!! True dry suits are like the OR pyro and lots of similar ones. They are made of sealed fabric with latex neck, wrist and ankle seals. They keep you a lot drier than steamers, they rely on what you wear under them to keep you warm. The seals are 99.9% effective a little water still finds its way in but if you wear poly fleece it's no big deal. I think they are much warmer than neoprene steamers, especially in cold wind.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Nov 24, 05 12:34 pm     Reply with quote

Great! Thanks for the detailed response. That's sort of what I figured as it looked too much like a normal tight fitting wetsuit. I was just a bit confused since they listed it as a "drysuit" and still have a "semidry." Drysuits definately seem like they're the way to go, though I'm not so fond of the way they look (baggy), but this cold water is killing me in a 3/2. haha

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Nov 24, 05 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

3/2?! Is that really what you got? Man that's dangerous, talk about shrinkage! Wink

My 4/3 Oneil with sealed seams worked great the other day with gloves/booties/hood. I've considered drysuits, but seems like when I wear the 4/3 and cover as much skin as possible, I stay warm. I used to have a 4/3 without sealed seams, the sealed seams make a huge difference warmth wise for sure.

The times when I think the drysuit would be a big advantage is standing around on the beach, seems like you'd be a lot less cold than in a wetsuit. As it is I can hardly stand there for 5 minutes without freezing. Confused

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Nov 24, 05 3:27 pm     Reply with quote

Yup, 3/2, and it definately feels like I'm gonna die. Wasn't riding with gloves or booties either yesterday... Sad After 45 mins or so I was FREEZIN' my ass off and probably getting a little hypothermic! One of my friends has a fully taped 5/4/3 Body Glove wetsuit, and he said he doesn't normally get cold (besides hands and feet), so I'll probably just stick with a "wetsuit." Thanks for the additional info. Thumb's Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: