Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Where can I kitesurf near Los Angelos JULY 2006

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Guest from DK

PostTue Nov 22, 05 5:08 am    Where can I kitesurf near Los Angelos JULY 2006 Reply with quote

Hi Very Happy

I'am going on vacation to LA in JULY next year (have borrow a house from a friend) and will like to know where to kitesurf .. I was visiting LA this summer but actually didn't see any wind ...

All Idea's are welcome --- but remember I have my wife and kid's with me ---

Thanks a lot upfront for the help Very Happy

Christian

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Nov 22, 05 7:38 am     Reply with quote

I went 4 times (my sister lives there) and each time got skunked, until this last time I got great 13m wind. I think if your headed down there, just take your kite gear and if you get lucky so be it, but don't get your hopes up.

Head for Malibu, that's the only place I've gotten lucky with wind, also the beaches are really nice. Seems like once you get there the further north you drive the stronger it gets. Zuma and Topanga are the two places I have had luck.

Make sure you talk to the lifeguards before you start setting up, there is usually a designated area for kiteboarders. Don't be a kook and get the locals banned.

Good luck! Thumb's Up

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostTue Nov 22, 05 10:51 am     Reply with quote

LA is really setup for kiting. At the two standout spots, you can expect afternoon winds (15-20mph) just about everyday starting in July through Sept. If it gets real windy like after or before an approaching front, all the beaches will get good, sailable wind. iWindsurf has more spot-specifics like directions.

Standout spots: 1) Cabrillo Beach (San Pedro) - this is a bit to the South of LA but gets the best wind. Parking in the surrounding neighborhood is near impossible on weekends... expect to pay the $5 fee to park inside. Nice grassy rigging area and it is an established windsurfing/kiting beach. A little more South and a good spot is Seal Beach 2) Topanga Canyon (Santa Monica / Malibu) - almost always the same winds as Cabrillo, if a bit lighter. More surfers... if it is marginal, kite downwind from them or goto Sunset Beach (park at Gladstone's restaurant or nearby) but this is also an established windsurf/kite beach. 3) deep Malibu spots (Leo Carillo, Zuma) - a little more drive but spectacular scenery and more remote feeling. Leo Carillo (almost to the Ventura county line) is a well-established windsurf/kite beach with designated areas for wind sports, kayaking and surfing. This typically will get as windy or more than Cabrillo. If there are waves, this is where you want to be. Good DTL righthanders. Zuma is good too but not as classic of a wave setup, more beach break.

If the winds are filled in, there are good spots up and down the beach near Santa Monica South to Dockwiller beach (Playa del Rey). See the red box for these areas and keep an eye out for beachgoers, however, there is usually lots of beach to find room. I've had plenty of great days right off the Santa Monica or Venice piers.

Have fun, give me a PM if you want. I lived in West LA for several years.

San Pedro / Cabrillo Beach SP
 San Pedro / Cabrillo Beach SP  Cabrillo Beach.jpg 
deep Malibu
 deep Malibu  Malibu Spots.jpg 
LA area beaches
 LA area beaches  LA Beaches.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: