Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Slingshot Wave Grenade..?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Nov 16, 05 12:53 am    Slingshot Wave Grenade..? Reply with quote

I was browsing through Slingshot's site and came across this little deal. Anyone know exactly what it does? It says, "when deployed it prevents 5th line bow-ties," but I don't know what to make of that... It isn't just the new Oneline trim depower handle, is it?

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 16, 05 6:01 am     Reply with quote

Allows you to release the fifth line from the bar when needed...

Arrow 2006 FUEL KITE USER MANUAL see page 14 & 15 http://www.sskiteboarding.com/resource_center/instructions/06_fuel_manual_entire_doc_reduced.pdf

Lots of good info here Arrow Arrow http://www.sskiteboarding.com/resource_center/instructions.htm

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Nov 16, 05 7:44 am     Reply with quote

By bow-tie they mean if your kite does a backflip on the water and the 5th line wraps around it in the center.

I don't have a 5th line setup (yet) but after riding with my buddies with 5th lines all summer, it sounds like the bow tie scenario doesn't happen as much as you might think, usually the 5th line will just fall off to one side and the kite will relaunch fine.

It does still happen on occasion though, and that's why its great that SS came up with a way to release it. That way you just release the 5th line, relaunch the kite on 4 lines, ride back to the beach, hook it back up, and go.

Beats the hell out of a swim! Thumb's Up

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Nov 16, 05 8:47 am     Reply with quote

Thanks guys, that makes sense. I don't have Oneline on my Fuels, but my rommie JP does, and I've only seen that happen to him once. It sure was a pain in the ass trying to undo the larks head from the 5th line leader in 25kts while still on the water.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Nov 16, 05 9:05 am     Reply with quote

Having your kite "bow tie" is way below average. Can I fit the grenade to my Naish 5th line?

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostWed Nov 16, 05 10:27 am     Reply with quote

Bowties actually are a bigger risk in the waves as the whitewater tends to flip the kite over, therebye wrapping the 5th line around it. There is really no way to recover. it is important to let go of the bar and try to release the 5th line to minimize kite damage.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Nov 16, 05 10:46 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Bowties actually are a bigger risk in the waves as the whitewater tends to flip the kite over, therebye wrapping the 5th line around it. There is really no way to recover. it is important to let go of the bar and try to release the 5th line to minimize kite damage.

It's an excellent idea however like everything else in this sport, first generation of new ideas seem to lack the “polish” in their initial production deployments.

There’s already a fix out on kiteforum to prevent the wave grenade from unintentionally falling off while riding.

Basically the 'finger' needs to be bent closer to the ring. I have 2 friends that lost there's the first day out. It's also a damn good idea to add a lanyard to the pin so you don't drop it was it’s been deployed.

In theory it shouldn’t be an issue b/c your leash should be attached to it however I know another rider who pulled it after their kite flip & their grenade pin was gone by the time he got back the beach.

jp

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 16, 05 11:10 am     Reply with quote

Good advice J.P. & Bar Fly... Thumb's Up

As other discussions have pointed out, you must be aware of which side of the wave grenade ring you clip you leash to. Clip it to the wrong side and it can get pulled free of the One-Line unintentionally…

I have used the '06 bar four-five times and have had no issues with the wave grenade, grenading... Mr. Green

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostWed Nov 16, 05 2:17 pm     Reply with quote

Can the Grenade be retroed to any set up? Naish?

Kurt

Since 04 Nov 2005
73 Posts

PostWed Nov 16, 05 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

Mark,
I don't believe that you can do a retro for Naish or North bar/line setups. The 5th line on those goes thru the "Y" that attaches to the front of the kite. The 5th line cannot slide towards the kite thru that "Y". The SS setup does not have the "Y".

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostWed Nov 16, 05 2:33 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks. Hopefully Naish will come up with a similar fix.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: