Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Looking for a board for the coast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Stormannorman

PostWed Nov 09, 05 9:46 pm    Looking for a board for the coast Reply with quote

I wanting to surf the waves on the coast with my Crossbow and was wondering what and who makes a good surf board for kite surfing?

What should I look for and try to avoid?

A local shop in Portland has a board for $150 used and what I have heard was it has too fat of rails so it won't go up wind at all?

Does anyone else use surf boards on the coast to rip up the waves or do most just use a wake board and go for big air?

Thanks,

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Nov 09, 05 10:23 pm     Reply with quote

I'm not going to be much of any help, but if you want a surf style board, then you might wanna check out the new Slingshot SRT. We normally just ride our standard small boards, and get thrashed by the big waves, but it's still fun. Haven't tried my new 103cm board out on the coast yet though.

charsumo

Since 02 Jul 2005
14 Posts

PostThu Nov 10, 05 8:14 am     Reply with quote

I heard a big piece of plywood standing up in your garage would rival that of a barge catching a wave. Go for it, and you could probably have a luau on it afterwards.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostThu Nov 10, 05 8:16 am     Reply with quote

I think there are many fun options in the waves. Best of both surf and TT worlds might be a mutant. You can pick these up pretty cheap on consignment (Naish Aliens or SS Surf Misfit 150's are good find). I use a Hammer Debaser and my short board from time to time. Make sure it has some length (at least 135) and rocker for the hookup. I see lots of guys out here on the coast using directionals too - lots of these on consignment.

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Nov 10, 05 9:33 am     Reply with quote

I hear the Jimmy Lewis boards rock...

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostThu Nov 10, 05 5:35 pm    amundson Reply with quote

Jimmy Lewis boards are not the best. If you want a really good board, go to www.amundsoncustoms.com and get a good board. I got one this summer for and it is the best board I have ridden in the surf. He will make it custom for your weight and the construction is super clean, durable, and is made by someone who knows how to ride waves really well. Prices are very reasonable too. The board I had before was a D'light and this one works way better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: