Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Restitching after shortening Slingy lines?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Oct 25, 05 10:36 pm    Restitching after shortening Slingy lines? Reply with quote

Just curious if anyone knows of a place (local would be nice) that can restitch OEM replacement Slingshot dacron sleeves onto the ends of the lines. I shortened one of my line sets, but only using generic (black) sleeves that you simply tie off, and they bug the shit out of me, mostly just because I'm super anal about it from a looks standpoint. I've also had one slip (the spectra inside the sleeve started to slide right out of the knot) which was a pain in the ass... Thanks in advance!

The end that I CUT OFF, and what I would like the new end to look like!

SlingyLine.JPG 

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Oct 26, 05 8:06 am     Reply with quote

Not sure where u are from, but I would think that a sail repair store would be able to handle it for you.

As far as material goes. For the larkshead slip cover, go to REI, ropes dept and get 1/4'' diameter rope (I think this is the size, whatever size that allows for easy threading of the line into the sleeve), burnt ends off and pull out the string/nylon fiber inside. Its what I use when I fab. a five line attachment rope.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostWed Oct 26, 05 9:47 am     Reply with quote

only thing I can add is to get the thread and needle out while watching tv. I use good dental floss and a white rope so you can't see how bad of a seamstress i am.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Oct 26, 05 1:30 pm     Reply with quote

Cool thanks, I'm just going to buy the Slingshot "line length customization kit" since it's got all the right colors so that part is covered.

I'm from Gresham, but right now I'm down in Corvallis at school and I highly doubt there's any sail places around here, just many, many cows! I originally figured I'd have to drive out to somewhere in Hood River (which isn't a big deal), but I also haven't asked ASI about it yet...

Know of any shops around "sail repair" shops Portland? Thanks again!

P.S. - I'd try to sew it myself, but my sewing skills suck and I'm sure I wouldn't be happy with the results. Very Happy

Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Wed Oct 26, 05 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostWed Oct 26, 05 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

Something you might try is a boat canopy builder in Corvallis (or Newport). I found one here in Astoria and have had him do some minor kite/sail repair. Way cheaper than Airtime unless there is something structural; then I wouldn't trust anyone but a professional.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Oct 26, 05 3:31 pm     Reply with quote

Doesnt OSU have a sailing team? I know UO does. You might check around on campus.

Mark
OSU alumni
Go Beavers!!

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostFri Nov 11, 05 6:15 am     Reply with quote

Strait from the source Arrow http://www.sskiteboarding.com/resource_center/instructions/2005_line_length_cust_kit_installation.pdf

This is a pdf file so be patient while it downloads...

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostFri Nov 11, 05 7:35 am     Reply with quote

Those are great instructions.

You can re-use the sleeves that are already
on the line. Just carefully cut through the white
stitching with a single edge razor while pulling
it apart. Pluck out any remaining stiches. You
can get a seam ripper at Walmart that makes
it even easier.

Then slide the sleeve down the line BEFORE you
cut the line down. (I like 18-20m)

I've made a little fixture that holds the sleeve
together so it can easily be sewn with a basic
zigzag machine. I used it on some of my own
and then gave it to Airtime. Maybe they can
post a picture of it. If not I'll make another
one and post it when I get home. I got some
lines to do and would consider sewing some.
Just come on by.

I'm not real keen on the knots since the lines
seem to catch on each other more.

-Hein

This is a Cutrite seam ripper:

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Nov 11, 05 9:54 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Dano! I don't know why I never saw that before as I'm always going through Slinghot's site, trying to find new stuff, but oh well.

Hein, I'm the same way with the whole knot situation. Number 1 is I can't stand the looks of them, and 2 being, as I mentioned earlier, the line inside the sleeve backing out. When I'm back in town, I'd have no problem driving out east and having you stitch my lines, so long as your price isn't too outrageous! Wink Just kidding, but let me know. Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: