Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Slingy O-Six Preview
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 21, 05 4:24 am    Slingy O-Six Preview Reply with quote

’06 SX 137 & 9m Fuel

9m Fuel
 9m Fuel  Fuel 9m.JPG 
Fuel Pack
 Fuel Pack  Fuel Pack.JPG 
SX 137
 SX 137  SX 137.JPG 
SX Concave
 SX Concave  SX Concave.JPG 
SX Rocker
 SX Rocker  SX Rocker.JPG 

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostFri Oct 21, 05 7:35 am     Reply with quote

Christmas came early for Dano Very Happy

simplelife

Since 06 Jul 2005
5 Posts

Kook

PostFri Oct 21, 05 7:59 am     Reply with quote

Look forward to hearing a review of that new 137 if one is forthcoming.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Oct 21, 05 9:45 am     Reply with quote

Very nice! I see you already ripped the ATL out, or did it come like that? Very Happy

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostFri Oct 21, 05 10:25 am     Reply with quote

Slingy has realised that the world (of board bottoms) is not flat.

Here's what will take your riding to the moon and beyond:

My proprietary Single to Double Side Cut Concave and some Thin Fins on a 126.7x39.7
or a 135x41:

(CAD models of 126.7 and 135)

-Hein

New Fuels look nice and I saw a new (proto?) bar at Stevenson today.
A 5th line with sheeting stopper that wedges into the hole on the bar.
Very trick. Nice work, John.

Last edited by Hein on Fri Oct 21, 05 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Oct 21, 05 10:38 am     Reply with quote

Hein, you're probably going to be like, "this guy is a fuckin' idiot," but I gotta question for ya... What exactly is the benefit of the concaved base? Help hold an edge better, since water 'appears' deeper to the fin? I'm way off, huh? lol! Your boards look nice.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostFri Oct 21, 05 10:50 am     Reply with quote

I'm probably the idiot for hijacking this thread.

If you are interested in my boards then you can
check my site for the 'hyped' version of why I
think my bottoms are good. Or you can call or
come by and I'll talk your ear off about it.

And if you are serious about buying, then I'll
give you a demo board to ride for a couple
days.

-Hein
541 490 5098

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Oct 21, 05 4:32 pm     Reply with quote

All I can say is concave bottoms rule and I love my Hein in look and feel (the board that is) Very Happy

But don't ask to ride mine, because the "birkenstraps" are only loyal to my feet.

As for the new Fuels, the colors are great - they finally got away from "poo brown" and the like. Dano's 13m is red, silver, and navy.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostSat Oct 22, 05 7:17 am    Hein “The Hijacker” Reply with quote

Hein “The Hijacker” has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it? Very Happy

Here’s the report & replies to questions:

1) The ATL comes that way. I didn’t pull it out... Confused

2) The SS 137 SX is an amazing board! I rode it at RR yesterday on a 9m (I’m 200lbs, 6’ 3” with size 14 feet). I was very impressed with the performance and feel. There was very little adjustment time to the board (even with the rough water conditions and gusty wind). The foot straps & beds are sooo comfortable & really hold the board on tight. The rocker makes the board ride very smooth with a nice “skatey” feeling in the transitions (very similar feeling to the Hein, but not quite as “Skatey”. Probably due to the larger fins…) The board really tracks upwind hard when you sink the rail. I have never had a board that carves as well, especially when carving to toeside carve/transition. Thumb's Up

Notice in the pic that the foot strap inserts are offset from the centerline of the board (the offset matches the duck foot stance). Idea

My perspective on boards comes from riding a 147 Hammersurf Ono for years. I also rode the 137 Debaser for a season in higher winds. I tested many boards over the summer before I made my decision. Boards include: Hein 124 (’05-1/2), North Jamie Pro 13 (’05), Naish Thorn 135 (’06), Sol (’06), Haze (’06) & Alien (’05), Caution ‘04 & ’05 SS Misfit, SX. My favorite boards were the Hein 124, Naish Thorn (’06) & SX.

I was very impressed with the Hein 124 (my wife has one)! The Hein & SX are similar in ride & performance. I went with the SX because Hein is still working on larger boards for big guys like me. I hope Hein will let me test these boards (got my eye on the 135 x 41) as they progress (because Tonski won’t let me ride hers as Hein has convinced her that the board will lose its loyalty to the rider if it feels abandonment through unknown feet). I think Hein may have gleaned this from a bad experience in the Therapy Pool. Rolling Eyes

3) The ’06 Fuel & bar are sweet! SS has really produced products that meet their mission of “Rider Simplicity.” The refined Oneline worked flawlessly even as I was constantly trimming in the gusts to find the sweet spot. The kite, bar, backpack & board all feel natural and enhance the connection between rider and equipment (OK I’m getting a little out there… Comes from my background from testing ACG products for Nike. Nike really likes testers to reach deep to identify how the human interacts with the products).

Enough typing. I gota get outa here… Going back today for more testing. Hope to ride the 13m today. See ya out there, Dano Alien

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSat Oct 22, 05 8:24 am     Reply with quote

Hmm, so not that it really matters, but does the ATL line in the trailing edge not come factory installed anymore?

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostSat Oct 22, 05 9:12 am     Reply with quote

Dan what where you flying last year? Why did u decided on Slingshot this year?

Did u look at the Naish torch 06?

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostSun Oct 23, 05 7:47 am     Reply with quote

Due to some lost boards, I also have tried several boards that have varying bottoms. My first board was a full concave Caution Redline 142. Very nice on the waves, the hookup is very effective. On the flats and upwind, it is particular about the edge control.

Second was an SX132 flat bottom which has great pop, not as good on the hookup. IMO flat bottom boards rule in flatwater and chop, freestyle.

Now I have a Hammersurf Debaser. The double channel concave is also great on the wave face and hookup. Nicer on the flats and upwind than the Caution but really has poor pop (sometimes I hear a sucking sound as I try to get off the water).

I've demo'ed the '06 SX132 a few times now and think it is the best board I've ever ridden on the waves complimented by excellent pop and flatwater skills. I you can only have one board, that style is hard to beat.

Haven't tried Hein's boards but it is clear that concave bottoms have their place especially for carvers. I'm sure they are sweet.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostSun Oct 23, 05 7:54 am     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Dan what where you flying last year? Why did u decided on Slingshot this year?

Did u look at the Naish torch 06?

Mark,

I have been flying 2003 SS Fuels since, well 2003. These kites are bomber & held up so well I had a difficult time justifying replacing them until the technology and performance significantly increased.

In preparation for the upgrade, I flew as many kites as I could get my hands on over the summer. I flew: ’04 Best Nemisis (16m & 21m), ’05 Best Hellfish (12m prototype II), ’05 ½ Cabrinha Crossbow (9m & 12m), ’06 North Vegas & Rhino (12m), ’05 Naish (10m,14m & 20m), Naish ’05 Raven 12m, ’06 Naish (8m, 12m & 16m) and ’05 Slingshot 15m Fuel & 17.5 Machine. Thanks to everyone out there who let me fly their kites.

Yes, I rode the Naish ’06 Torch (8m, 12m & 16m) in a variety of conditions at the sandbar and SI. These are excellent kites with great all around performance. It was a very difficult decision for me and finally came down to a couple of key factors:

1. Reliability: Naish control bar chicken loop line failures. I know three people personally who had their chicken loop line break on them while riding. Some of these were on ’05 bars with 3-6 months of use. I also read about many more failures on the kite forums. Durability is one of my top priorities for kite gear as I weigh 200 lbs and very hard on my equipment.

2. Tune-ability: Naish does not have and adjustable “fifth line.” The Slingshot “One Line” is adjustable via a cleat located directly above the chicken loop. This adjustment allows de-power of the kite when the One-Line is trimmed in 2-8 inches. You can also increase the projected area (power) by flattening the kite in lighter winds. This is accomplished by pulling in on the One-Line 1-3 inches and adjusting the de-power strap slightly.

3. Color: The ’06 Naish colors were not very appealing to me. And, my wife wasn’t excited about me kiting on a shit brown kite with bile yellow trim (i.e. the "Brown Hornet" kite)

4. Local Company: I prefer to buy local whenever possible. Also makes warranty & other technical issues much easier to resolve. It’s pretty nice to call SS Tech support and be able to ask Jeff Roberts Tech questions about the gear.

5. Price: I got a better deal on Slingshot.

I was able to fly my SS ’06 9m on Friday at RR and the 13m yesterday at RR and I’m very impressed. The Fuels are slightly higher aspect than the ’05 and the wider wingtips make them turn faster. The new bar is awesome and the kite pack kicks ass! The only negative I have so far is you can’t fully spin the bar without the safety leash wrapping up a half a turn (when leash is attached to the One-Line). This does not affect the performance of the safety system or One-Line, but it is slightly annoying. I will be contacting SS about this issue on Monday.

Hope this info helps. See ya out there, Dano

SX feels sooo nice!
 SX feels sooo nice!  SX in action.JPG 
2006 13m in action.
 2006 13m in action.  2006 Fuel 13m sm.JPG 

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostSun Oct 23, 05 8:21 am     Reply with quote

Dan,
Thanks for all the input! I am going to buy one or more kites for next year and cant make up my mind what I want to do. I wish I would have had the chance demo more kites. You and I are the same weight, so what size kites do you have in your quiver?

thanks again for the input.
Ps that last picture sure shows your best side! Laughing

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostSun Oct 23, 05 9:44 am     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Dan, that last picture sure shows your best side! Laughing
Alien No wonder we only see you at RR or Collins beach... Alien

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostSun Oct 23, 05 10:24 am     Reply with quote

Hmmm, I am not the one going "buns up" at Rooster rock..... Shocked Laughing

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostSun Oct 23, 05 11:25 am     Reply with quote

That may be true, but you are the one looking & talking about it. Your 9/10's of the way there buddy.... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: