Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sponsor's, is it worth it?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
real harry

PostWed Oct 05, 05 11:41 am    Sponsor's, is it worth it? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about turning pro and trying to get some sponsors. I can do almost everything except for handle passes and maybe the real big airs. But I land everything I do. I just wanted to get the opinions of the forum as to which company or companies I should go for. Which do you think will pay the most or give the most support. I'm in my thirties, I know I shoud have started this sponsor search when I first started kiting early last year. But it's never too late and I think I can give a few of those pros a run for their money...

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostWed Oct 05, 05 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

Alien Drunk Laughing

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 05, 05 1:32 pm     Reply with quote

Hmmm, I'd have to agree with Cat Karl on that one.

I don't think the talented up and coming kiters have to search for sponsors - isn't it the other way around? Best advice - start entering some comps. If you win, maybe a sponsor will give you a call. Smile

CoryfromTHECREW

Since 27 May 2005
57 Posts
Lakeview Oregon, or Anchorage

PostWed Oct 05, 05 2:08 pm     Reply with quote

tonski wrote:
Hmmm, I'd have to agree with Cat Karl on that one.

I don't think the talented up and coming kiters have to search for sponsors - isn't it the other way around? Best advice - start entering some comps. If you win, maybe a sponsor will give you a call. Smile

WTF...you could understand him?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 05, 05 2:26 pm     Reply with quote

Don't the images speak for themselves?! Rolling Eyes

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
314 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostWed Oct 05, 05 2:41 pm    what it takes Reply with quote

Harry Dick, it's all about heart...and it's about what's inside that counts. It's about the kind of air that comes out of you from within. Don't ever let anyone....anyone you hear me?!...anyone...tell you that you're not pro material. What kind of heart do you have? If you're serious about going pro, you need a road map; you need to sit down and watch a triple feature of Rocky, Rudy, and then the Karate Kid. We all root for the underdog. You might also benefit from a name change. I think you need to be BigAirDick. You could then perfect new moves' the dick-grab, biggy-with-fries, and the B.A.D. as your namesake move.

Traditional sponsors are not what you need. You need to be a man of the people. I'm willing to pledge $100 right-now to sponsor you. Let's see if any of the other nwkite members are willing to make a pledge toward your pro-dome. These Bo-buyin'-fancy-kite-folk are who you need to tap.

Anybody else willing to sponsor our man?

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostWed Oct 05, 05 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

Be careful of giving a 30 something year old man cash travis... "a hand up, not a hand out" (or 'dick'?) should be the policy on nwkite.com Very Happy

In all seriousness, If I had to donate something it would be my yellow 20M Cabrinha Nitro...the biggest jelly fishing banana ever flown across the Columbia!

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
314 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostWed Oct 05, 05 3:13 pm    you are correct Reply with quote

Colby, you are correct. I'm sorry Real Harry, but I'm gonna have to take back my $100 pledge. I will be your press agent however. If you change your name to BigAirDick though, the deal's back on. Although, on second thought, BigAirDick sounds too close to BigAirDan. There's a windsurfer who's been coming to the gorge for literally 20 years who goes by that moniker. He lives up to the name on the water. I'd hate to steal any of his bro-daddy-old-school-thunda'.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostWed Oct 05, 05 5:17 pm    Sponsorship Reply with quote

This guy cannot be for real. If you want to be sponsored you better be able to jump high, do handlespasses, kiteloop handlepasses, kung-fu handlepasses, ride waves. All with good style of course. The talent pool for kiting is growing so fast, and there are so many good riders, that you need to be good on the beach too. No attitude, helpful, and a good ambassador to the sport. I think you can be over 30, but you better be good and able to provide sponsors with something worthwhile.

If you are not just trying to stir it up and are serious, get on it. Make a promo video and send it to kite companies. Rex is right, all you have to have heart if you wanna make it. Scriffler pulls thousands of pounds and is just a little dog. I'll donate some old gear if you want. Wink

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostWed Oct 05, 05 5:54 pm    Real Reply with quote

At least Real Harry's got the balls to admit in a semi-public forum that he thinks he's got the goods to go pro. I say props to him. If Real's born around 1/18/68, I'd say he needs to get somebody downwind to patch his holes, hope for easterlies this weekend, and go BIG. Maybe he needs to just take on something big...like a sailboat. I'm thinkin' we setup a photo shoot where Real Harry hucks over the mast of one of Hood River's fleet and he gets some glossy kiteboard magazine attention.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostWed Oct 05, 05 5:57 pm     Reply with quote

enter comps and try to get on as a team rider, pro is a toughy, even if you get picked up after killing it for a year, you will pay for your way and get reimbursed if you place top 5 or get some picks in the magazines with your sponsors bling in clear sight. Some team rider positions have different levels, some you don't even have to compete at all and get your quiver on the cheap for a small pimpin asignments(demos ect.) compete for yourself for the enjoyment, don't be a whore, kites are not that much. But if you believe in a company call them and let them know you want to help spread the love. Try to find a non gorge based for something differnt. be creative..... be your own man or lady..

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Oct 05, 05 6:11 pm     Reply with quote

Just ride well, and get pictures whenever someone is out there taking them. Get in front of the camera as much as possible, but DONT get in front of the camera if it looks like the cameraman is out there to shoot specific people. But if someone is just out snapping some photos get in front of them and show them what you got. Just have a good attitude to everyone and be a good ambasador, if you are personable sponsors will like that! Just keep kiteing, and if you are doing good, then you will get seen, and someone will approach you!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostWed Oct 05, 05 6:34 pm     Reply with quote

Who really is Really Harry?

Really curious about how many people could bankroll themselves through this sport...As with anything, follow your dreams unless you are leaving behind a wife and three kids...I just don't see how one could get paid a full time wage in a sport so new and still figuring itself out. The sponsors are kite companys, sunglasses, and red bull, not Nike, Intel, or Team McDonalds. The travel locations and costs are exotic and make for great magazine articles but would eat up a credit card in no time flat.... maybe that's where heart, talent and a 73 Winnebago come in!?!?

Real Hary

Since 01 Sep 2005
6 Posts
wandering
Kook

PostThu Oct 06, 05 9:05 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouraging words, especially the kip winger dude. I'm so pumped up right now, I'm ready to try some handle passes and I'm ready to go big... who's got the boat and where's the camera! Does anyone do handle passes with a wrist leash? Does anyone know the comp schedule for the NW or maybe Hawaii?

Real Hary

Since 01 Sep 2005
6 Posts
wandering
Kook

PostThu Oct 06, 05 9:26 am     Reply with quote

By the way I've heard about the guy "Big Air Dan" I've heard he's now refered to as "Fair Air Dan" as he gets older... But this guy's a legend, I'll bet he's got some good sponsors.

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostThu Oct 06, 05 9:42 am     Reply with quote

Unfortunately, many of the most advanced products come from some of the smaller companies. So you may have to ride for a 'bigger' company with crap products.
There really isn't a lot of money going out to pros these days...and there never really was. The pioneers of our sport were living in Maui off of their mom and dad's bank accounts. Or they were just self proclaimed beach bums. In fact, that is still the case.

The industry is painting a picture that is larger than the room.

My advice, being that I was the sales manager of Liquid Force at one time, is to buy your gear so you can CHOOSE what you want to ride. If you have a sponsor that has a reputation for being big, but has crap boards (which there are many) you will be stuck riding a crap board and a good kite.....or you will have to spray paint a real board with your sponsors graphics.....I saw that happen all the time working for LF because their boards are obviously far superior.
Ask Dre.
Dre is riding an Element in a 2 page spread of one of the new mags.
I gave him that board because he loves LF boards and rides them all the time. Yet Cabrinha pays him $65k a year. I am sure they were not happy with that photo. He rides LF wakeboards and kiteboards all the time when the cameras are not rolling.
Go figure.
Freedom or fame?
Being a famous kiteboarder in this giant world is like being the tetherball champion of the world.
The industry just glamorizes pro kiteboarding in hopes that you will spend your $$ on their brand.

Kites have been around for over 10,000 years.
I am sure China gets a kick out of our humorous attempt to make a 'new' sport and convince people they can be a 'pro kiter'.

'Pro kiter' just means that you are required to talk about, ride, and support only one brand.

Who's your pimp?

dangerD

Since 27 Jun 2005
223 Posts
Bingen Heights
Stoked

PostThu Oct 06, 05 11:00 am    What makes a pro, Pro? Reply with quote

Whoa!
Pro Kite boarders actually get PAID? All these years Ive been a Pro-kiter yet I dont get the $bling$. When I joined the team, the prerequisites were:
1) love of sport/hatred of working
2) Uber cool attitude- Theyll either love you or hate you, but if your hair/girlfriend are Hot enough, they will envy you. Hint: pretend not to remember peoples names! oh, thats cool!
3) Skater clothing/tats- especially if youre over thirty, you may need some hair bleach
4) Stickers- on everything- (more important than love of sport)
5) Money- This is the tough one. I thought pro kiters had to have trust funds to fuel their exreme lifestyles. Now Im hearing that Kiters get paid??? They still have their trust funds, right? Can anyone name a pro-kiter who doesnt suck off the Golden nipple?
6) Love of the Sticky-ichy.. Preferably from your own basement. Its a lifestyle choice. The party never ends for the Pro-pro! Create your own slush fund if ya aint got the trust fund!

Did I forget to mention ability? no I didnt. Move to the gorge and get some kites/stickers and get in line, buddy! Have your folks buy you a $10,000 camera and you can act like youre employed! See ya at the gaybar. Ill push up your stool.
D

rockboy.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: