Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Drysuit.. Good or bad?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostSun Oct 02, 05 3:27 pm    Drysuit.. Good or bad? Reply with quote

Has anyone played with a drysuit for winter kiting? Seems like you would have more mobility than a real thick wet suit.
thanks in advance.
Mark

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostSun Oct 02, 05 3:38 pm     Reply with quote

They're comfy but the seals wear out. If you get one be sure to lube the zipper with silicone grease at least every other time you use it. Also, get some armor all wipes and wipe down the latex EVERY time you use it. Keep it out of direct sunlight when not in use as well.

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostSun Oct 02, 05 6:53 pm     Reply with quote

Hotlime makes the best cold water wetsuits- lotsa mobility..

http://www.hotlineonline.com/products/wetsuits/men/fireflygthood.shtml

[/code]

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostMon Oct 03, 05 9:32 am     Reply with quote

hey Mark,

i really like my OR pyro drysuit. yes, more mobility while out of the water but, once in, you have a lot more drag on the suit and i actually find it harder to swim. i like mine because i can layer it depending on conditions and the walk down to a place like rooster's beach from the parking lot is much nicer than in a wetsuit.

i do feel a little silly in it though. looks like i am going into battle. definately not a lot of steez. Smile

kt

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostMon Oct 03, 05 9:35 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. My problem is I get arm and leg "pump" and the suit gets so restrictive its hard to move and tires me out.

I know go on a diet and the suit will probably fit better. However in true American form there must be a magic suit out there! Smile

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostMon Oct 03, 05 10:58 am     Reply with quote

does the OR pyro get damp and clammy being non breathable? I think only the new pro is breathable? I am going to get a drysuit but am trying to decide which brand and whether it has to be breathable. The OR suits seem very spendy for non-breathable. Also not sure about front or rear zip since I often end up out alone (especially when it's cold and crappy weather!)

paul

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostMon Oct 03, 05 11:47 am     Reply with quote

pauls wrote:
does the OR pyro get damp and clammy being non breathable? I think only the new pro is breathable? I am going to get a drysuit but am trying to decide which brand and whether it has to be breathable. The OR suits seem very spendy for non-breathable. Also not sure about front or rear zip since I often end up out alone (especially when it's cold and crappy weather!)

paul

Yeah, the OR gets clammy. Get the pro if you can afford it. Also, wear fleece or some other wicking material underneath. Rear zip is ok. Just use your harness hook to pull the zipper. This should be no prob if you keep it lubed as I mentioned. Check out http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2320510&sid=c0c513231fb275d07994679caaeb3ccc
for more info.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostMon Oct 03, 05 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

Good link
Thanks Karl.

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostTue Oct 04, 05 9:28 am     Reply with quote

Oneill makes a drysuit specifically for wakeboarding.
It is called the BOOST drysuit.

I own one and it is very comfortable.
Capilene underneath and super warm/dry.

Scott

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostTue Oct 04, 05 10:07 am     Reply with quote

What price range are we talking?

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Oct 04, 05 12:46 pm     Reply with quote

Just searched for the O'neill drysuit online, and it's actually fairly inexpensive (~$380.00). That is when compared to those other drysuits linked above! I'm trying to search around for reviews, anyone else have any input on it? Thanks

http://www.oneill.com/mens-products.php?sport=wake&categoryID=-1&typeID=15&seriesID=39&id=119

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: