Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Salute to Coast Locals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Sep 26, 05 7:28 am    Salute to Coast Locals Reply with quote

Here's to all you guys who ride the coast whenever it goes. Every time I ride there it makes me feel like I am going back to square-one with my riding. Big waves, cold water, currents and tides changing always throwing new variables in the mix.

A normal sesh I try to push myself by trying new tricks, but on the coast I'm just trying to keep it all together! It doesn't take a big jump or unhooked trick to freak you out at the coast, you just need a monster wave to carve on and start breaking all around you to give that "oops I crapped my pants" moment.

I probably averaged about 1-2 coast trips a month this year, spending most my time in the Gorge. I wish I could get out there more but often, but with my schedule I chose the "sure thing" wind, warmer conditions, and shorter drive over an epic day at the coast for my weekend seshs. I'm going to try to up the ante more next year and get out there more and more, camping, and staying over for the holiday weekends.

Anyway, this urbanite solutes you NW coast locals! Thumb's Up

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 26, 05 9:38 am     Reply with quote

I'm not a coast local, but the coast is my closest ride so that's where I go.

The locals are freakin cool to watch. Guy hits the lip over and over on a shoulder high wave -- then when it starts to close on him, he launches off the top, drops back into the frothy maw, lets it crash on him and rides out. Another guy cranking his kite right in the power zone, screaming 100 yards down the line on a wave, then ends it with a 10 foot jumping transition in 6 inches of water.

On top of that, there's no "Gorgitude" on the beach. Mellow vibe, plenty of room to lay out lines, etc. You've got room to drag if your launch goes bad.

The Oregon coast and kiting are like chocolate and peanut butter.

The only problem --- it just doesn't blow as often as the Gorge. Between the fog, the bad forecasts and the odd 40mph day, it's just not as reliable an experience.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 26, 05 5:04 pm     Reply with quote

From one who learned in the surf in Newport but never once kited in the Gorge, you hit it right on with the "just keeping it all together" statement. Shoot, we learned on two-line kites and directionals, and it took 2 years to even learn to stay upwind.

I was a bit blown away this summer, when on a trip to CA, I kited at Sherman Island - warm, flat water, steady 20MPH, etc. and saw how when you're not constantly playing survival games with deep, cold, water, longshore current, big mulching surf, fog, and everything else in the ocean, you can really concentrate on new stuff. My kiting's progressed slowly as a result of the conditions, but I can hold it together, and hey, its not terrifying anymore! Just need more of you guys to come down here kiting so I can learn new stuff.

North wind season's coming to a close here. Any day could be the last. Maybe have to try more southerlies at Siletz Bay this winter.

Shaka,

Steve

Sailut

Since 31 May 2005
72 Posts
Utah

PostMon Sep 26, 05 6:43 pm    The most fun I've ever had kiting Reply with quote

The most fun I've ever had kiting

Was the Shipwreck Downwinder
End of July

Photo by Vern Stokes

-Marty Cool

Edited:
It doesn't quite fit this topic, other than it is of the coast.
I thought I was starting a new thread. "doh"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: