Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

crossbow 9
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
salsaman

Since 24 Sep 2005
5 Posts
Portland
Kook

PostSat Sep 24, 05 8:56 am    crossbow 9 Reply with quote

Apparently there are folks on waiting lists for crossbow size 9 kites. Bars are backordered until ?? November is what I hear. Does anybody know anyone on a waiting list for one because it turns out I have an brand new one, complete, never openend. I screwed up when I bought mine and ended up with two -- long story -- I would love to make somebody happy rather than give the shop a restocking fee....

CoryfromTHECREW

Since 27 May 2005
57 Posts
Lakeview Oregon, or Anchorage

PostSat Sep 24, 05 10:24 am     Reply with quote

WEll...you want to make someone REAL happy? I would be real happy if i didnt have to pay an arm and a leg for a crossbow. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
buttsprung

Since 24 Sep 2005
5 Posts
portlandia
Kook

PostSat Sep 24, 05 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

My buddy got to demo the crossbow 9 and 12 last month at Sauvies. His life has been changed ever since. First he goes out and lists all of the six kites he owned on Ebay. He then managed to get on the list for the very first crossbows to hit the US from China. Now I guess they are Impossible to get.
I move allot slower and am still waiting to demo the crossbow 12. Whats the buzz all about . Are these really the religious experince everyone seems to be raving about? can one kite replace 2 or three
in a typicle quiver? If so then can't I get by with 2 or 3 kites instead of
allot more?

littlegus

Since 08 Jul 2005
29 Posts
La Jungla

PostSat Sep 24, 05 7:52 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, the crossbow is for real Very Happy . It might be possible to only have a crossbow 9 if you add more knots to the back line. I've been out on the 9 when others were on 16, but I was definitely underpowered. I have two kites, the 9 crossbow and a 17 nitro. I consider this a complete quiver, but I am also willing to be a little overpowered. The only change to make is get a 16 crossbow type of kite instead of the 17 nitro.

The crossbow stays in the air very, very well, even in very light wind. My only complaint so far is it didn't come with more knots on the back lines to add more power to the kite.

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostSat Sep 24, 05 7:58 pm     Reply with quote

The performance is fantastic as far as range and use in the waves but I would wait for the other manufacturers bow kites. Mine is already falling apart in multiple places after only a month and still haven't gotten a response from Cabrinha after a week of asking about my warranty. I'll post pix later.

brokenlizard

Since 03 Aug 2005
88 Posts
Running around the pool with scissors.

PostSat Sep 24, 05 9:48 pm     Reply with quote

Here's a beginner's perspective on the crossbow's. I've got a 12m and have flown it in various conditions. The high end of the crossbow is definitely there. I would say you could fly the 12m in conditions you would normally fly a 9m in. As far as the high end I'm not so sure. If you sheet in you could potentially get the power of a 14m or maybe even a 16m, but due to the bar pressure I don't think this woudl be practical for an extended period of time. It is good for lulls where you can sheet in and get more power to stay planing unitl the wind picks up again. I don't think I would want to take a 12m out and try to fly it in conditions where I would normally be on a 16m if the wind was overall light. I suppose you could make a one kite quiver by using different boards ie. a skim or surfboard.

Karl.

Where is your kite showing wear? I was a little concerned about this since I haven't had my kite out much yet. Can you please keep us posted as to what Cabrinha says.

Thanks

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostSun Sep 25, 05 10:30 am     Reply with quote

The seams on the LE have started to de-thread in 4 different places. Also, all kites made in July or later have reinforcements around the neoprene pump nipple cover on the canopy. Mine doesn't and has started to split. There's a very small tear at the base of one of the struts and the leaders on the bar are showing wear where the pulley runs. Also the design and implementation of the dump valve is just plain crappy cheap plastic. They should have built this out of delrin.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSun Sep 25, 05 8:26 pm     Reply with quote

thats is why muliple kites and bars are good it spreads out the abuse. Carl, I hope you get some response those kites were not free were they.

PABST

Since 27 Jul 2005
1 Posts

PostMon Sep 26, 05 5:22 am     Reply with quote

HOW MUCH???? Shocked [/b]

tplowe56

Since 21 Aug 2005
2 Posts

PostMon Sep 26, 05 5:37 pm     Reply with quote

KiteKarl wrote:
The performance is fantastic as far as range and use in the waves but I would wait for the other manufacturers bow kites. Mine is already falling apart in multiple places after only a month and still haven't gotten a response from Cabrinha after a week of asking about my warranty. I'll post pix later.

Check this out. It's worse than this photo now.

This is happening on the struts, close to the leading edge. Cabrinha is aware of this photo but has not offered to replace it until the seam blows. Un-believeably it seeams to be holding for now. (but would you buy a used kite looking like this?) I do think the build quality has slipped on the Xbow and Cabrinha better do something about it. This is totally unaceptable for a $1600 kite. A friend of mine also has a 16 and says it is showing wear very quickly. Cabrinha should offer t replace immediatley. it is not overinflation. It's bad fabric, stitching or neeedle.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Sep 27, 05 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

Is the only explanation for this that the Cabrinha's build quality is slipping?

Maybe Bow kites endure more stress then C type kites and this is the price you pay?

Just idle speculation not trying to start a gear war....

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostTue Sep 27, 05 6:57 pm     Reply with quote

IMO...i would say this looks like a production quality control issue that was induced through stress on the canpoy. the stresses applied to the kite should be nothing out of the ordinary and if the seam was taped with a reinforcer tape you would not see the fabric tearing along each stitch line. not to mention, why is the triple stitch zig zag above the close seam and not across it. and to boot, in a few instances it actualy goes into the close seam which denotes, again, poor production quality. all of which a manufacture should stand by...especially if they are expecting you to pay that much.

not that any of this jargon does you any good as it's just a matter of time before the material completely gives way. sorry to see that happen. let us know how they handle it...

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostTue Sep 27, 05 7:03 pm     Reply with quote

Isn't it exactly what prompted Best to make an attempt at Cuban Fiber kites? They were hitting exactly this problem: kites bagging out after only a couple dozen hours of use.

Funny how this all plays out. Looks like everyone scewed up :/ But Slingshot is also releasing a bow kite so there's still hope it's just a production mishap.

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostWed Sep 28, 05 1:29 am     Reply with quote

Why does everyone keep calling it Cuban fiber? They didn't make those hellfish out of cigars.

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostWed Sep 28, 05 1:46 am     Reply with quote

the Raptures had a stitching problem for awhile also, but they found a way to fix the problem...I heard it was the type of thread used...whatever happened to good ole duck tape??

A few people testing these have also said it IS about the stress due to the shape of the kite...I guess we'll know for sure when the rest of them start rolling out and we put up our money to become the guinea pigs.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 28, 05 9:35 am     Reply with quote

If I was you I'd insist they replace that puppy **before** it blows. It could blow at a very inconvenient time (like in the ocean on 8 foot swell when you're outside the break).

Think about it --- "we'll replace it when it blows". Doesn't that make about as much sense as Ford only replacing your Pinto *after* it catches on fire?

If they're not reasonable about this post a customer service email or # for all of us to drop a note on your behalf. Kiters don't deserve to be treated this way.

CoryfromTHECREW

Since 27 May 2005
57 Posts
Lakeview Oregon, or Anchorage

PostWed Sep 28, 05 9:56 am     Reply with quote

pjc wrote:

If they're not reasonable about this post a customer service email or # for all of us to drop a note on your behalf.

I agree.

I am more then willing to send an e-mail on your behalf. I can also get a load of friends to do it also.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: