Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Florida Keys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
utahboy

Since 10 Jul 2005
16 Posts
Salt Lake City

PostFri Sep 23, 05 7:48 pm    Florida Keys Reply with quote

Been doing the winter kiting in Baja, and now thinking about a winter multi-family kite trip to the Keys (kiting for the parents, windsurfing for the kids). Intermediate kiters. Any advice on good keys, beaches, places to stay? We have never been there and the amount of info on the net is daunting. It would be good to get recommendations from kiters rather than the ads.... thanks

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostFri Sep 23, 05 8:25 pm    Keys Reply with quote

I went to the Keys one time for a week and got no wind. I still windsurfed at the time but it was glassy the whole time. I would say for a family vacation it would be great, but not if the whole family plans on participating in any type of windsport. I was there in February, but locals said it is windy on average 1-2 days a week. Every time I have been to Baja it has been windy almost the whole time.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSat Sep 24, 05 8:17 am     Reply with quote

The Keys offer a ton of great options. I used to live in So. Florida prior to the kiting evolution, but have been back and have had great kiting days there. I would suggest that if you plan on kiting in Florida, do not lock yourself into the Keys. The Keys can be windy, however they might be dead calm for a week straight. If you want to kite in Florida plan on being mobile.
Deffinately visit the Keys for awesome diving, relaxing, fishing and partying. If the wind comes up...That is a huge bonus.
The wind is pretty predictable throughout the state and you can drive anywhere with a days drive. The beaches on the East coast are amazing! You can kite anywhere from Miami all the way to the Georgia border. Take your pager and have at it.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Sep 24, 05 8:30 am     Reply with quote

Islamorada might have the best kiteboarding in the country, but you need a boat to really take advantage of it. There are no real "beaches" on Islamorada, so launching is a bit tough without a boat. If you have a boat you can lit on big kites when its only blowing 10-12mph. Reason is the water is soooo flat and wind soooo steady, you just park the kite and bear off a bit build up as much speed as you want, and then start edging into the butter. If you don't have to focus too hard on staying upwind when its light you will have much more fun.

There are also a bunch of "slicks" on the Florida bay side that you can find if you got a boat. The water is so flat and wind so steady it really blows your mind.

Never kited on mainland Florida, but its supposed to be great when its going. Keys goes more often though is what I hear.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: