Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Why is it so windy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Sep 23, 05 1:39 pm    Why is it so windy? Reply with quote

Did anyone else notice that the North winds seem to be cranking? I wasn't expecting this so hadn't planned on heading out today, but damn!

CoryfromTHECREW

Since 27 May 2005
57 Posts
Lakeview Oregon, or Anchorage

PostFri Sep 23, 05 1:42 pm     Reply with quote

I dont know how much it was blowing today in Lakeview..but it was easily over 30...then it started raining...we have a nasty storm right now....we had some snow but then it got to hot and started raining again.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 23, 05 7:31 pm    Re: Why is it so windy? Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Did anyone else notice that the North winds seem to be cranking? I wasn't expecting this so hadn't planned on heading out today, but damn!

You’re not kid’n pkh!! The consensus on the beach was probably the windiest day at SI anyone can remember. Believe it or not, I was ride’n my 13m and got lit up more than a couple of times (the 17m big green monster was pumped up on the beach waiting for the slightest hint of the wind dropping, but it never made it off the sand). The wind was a bit west & pretty gusty for a while. The gusts settled down around 5pm.

Big air & kitemares were had by all. One Cabrinha black tip got free of the pilot and blew around the bend in the river, never to be seen again. A rookie on an X-Bow lost control and the kite did 15-20 loops right on the water! I got a good look at the top of Rollo’s Torch from the air as it loaded up from a turtled jump. The thought of having to body check off the top of the canopy actually crossed my mind for a split second, but fortunately I drifted just down wind. A couple of jumps later something went way awry as my toe side transition landing ended up being a kite loop which turned into two more kite loops as I skipped across the water. Just when I thought I was going to have to let go of the bar, I noticed my leash banging my leg. Some how it came disconected on impact. Finally the kite hit the water & Ryan S. brought me my board. Schenk was sending it big as usual. Whew, no wonder we packed up while the wind was still blowing, we were wiped out. Thumb's Up

Arrow SI DEQ Station Hourly Averages (add 5-10mph to reading)
(CST) noon 1 2 3 4
MPH 15.8 16.9 17.8 19.0 16.3

We missed ya out at SI tonight pkh. See ya tomorrow?? Wave

Last edited by Onad on Sat Sep 24, 05 11:23 am; edited 4 times in total

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostFri Sep 23, 05 8:04 pm     Reply with quote

Oh yeah, it was epic. I can tell you that the Scappoose sensor didn't do the place justice. It was gusting ~30 for much of the day and most of the time in the 20's. Not too many kites out either. I'm never gonna get packed with wind like this.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostFri Sep 23, 05 8:14 pm     Reply with quote

I did a quick check of the Sauvie sensor..... Wow it was blowing hard! Shocked

Rita.gif 

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Sep 24, 05 8:22 am     Reply with quote

Hmmm....

salsaman

Since 24 Sep 2005
5 Posts
Portland
Kook

PostSat Sep 24, 05 8:59 am     Reply with quote

I've been wondering the same thing -- all wee long it was honkin!

gtm

Since 04 Jul 2005
34 Posts

PostSun Sep 25, 05 8:03 am     Reply with quote

Here is my 2 cents worth: There was a trough digging south towards California with the low center in southern Oregon by afternoon. This set up a pretty good northerly gradient. Also upper level flow become northerly behind the trough. This upper level flow mixed down to the surface in the afternoon. The wind was even strong at PDX with NW 15-20 with higher gusts in the afternoon. I certainly did not forecast it well.

George McLean
www.nwweather.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Sep 25, 05 8:38 am     Reply with quote

Don't think about it George, everybody else got it wrong too...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: