Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Board Leash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

PostThu Apr 07, 05 1:32 pm    Board Leash Reply with quote

Anyone using these?
Shocked

On the yahoo forum, in one weekend there were about 3 boards lost.

Spinning or bungie.? I surf so I can see that on epic wipeouts you wouldn't want to get cracked on the head with the edge of the board. So I doubt anyone uses the bungie type.

What abou the spinning or reel type?

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostThu Apr 07, 05 2:25 pm     Reply with quote

boardleashes are ok. there is an inherent risk of getting your head smashed open when you ride with one but i think the risk is less in the deep water we have in the NW. alot of people freak out if you dont wear a helmet but its questionable if a helmet would save you. the only type of leash to aviod would be the surfboard style ones. I like the coiled up one the most. i bought the reel leash but i couldnt see how it was safer. it snaps back at you faster. by the time you can jump you should work on bodydraging and get rid of the leash because you are at a much greater risk of getting decapitated.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Apr 07, 05 2:41 pm     Reply with quote

If you have to get one I'd get a reel leash and helmet. I had that combo for awhile at first when I was learning, seemed to work good although the reel leashes do seem to break more than the others.

Wearing a leash I've had the board hit me in the helmet so hard I thought it would have taken a chunk out of it, better it than my head! I've also seen guys with bloody heads from not wearing a helmet and wearing a leash.

PostThu Apr 07, 05 2:51 pm     Reply with quote

I'll tell ya what;

I use them in certain contitions, like super light wind,,,chances are if your kite goes down and you've lost touch with your board it's going to get ugly,,also in survival conditions,,when you make get too nuked to go up wind,,,

I'm remain undamaged from using one (reel leash is what I'd reccomend) but if you are going to be throwing down moves or testing your limits then you must unhook the bitch.

They are a fine and useful tool if you use one only when it's smarter to stay in touch with your board, i.e.>>super light=no jumps,,or super nuked meaning you are just trying to stay on the water...

For everyday explore your limits type kiting,,,,NO leash is by far the smarter option.

It's a case of choosing the right equipment for the conditions...

A good tool is not a bad thing just you use it wisely.

The "Banned" the malignant,,,,the one and only> fokiten
regards

PostThu Apr 07, 05 2:56 pm     Reply with quote

fuc-wad dax::

it's a bitch that I can't edit,,

You stupid mofo,, ban me???

you dip shit??

fo

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Apr 07, 05 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

okay I'll unban you but just because I need all the karma I can get wind wise.

PostThu Apr 07, 05 3:12 pm    50/50 at best. Reply with quote

i use a leash and I have been kiting for a yr. I'm about to start jumping and the leash is coming off. As for helment, I think they are a good idea regardless if you wear a leash or not, but if u kite without one and use a leash ur asking for trouble. I have been hit in the head once out at Rooster when I got gusted downwind and caught an edge. Go thing because I probably would be dead from drowning. The board edge left a nice sized mark in the back of my helment. I was dizzy the rest of that day. Other dangers are your board can get stuck in soft sand and have your kiting pull you the other way.

Other conditions you may want one: Light winds, sailing alone and if your in the surf and or out in the ocean. Or if your in coastal bay with lots of tide/current.

What it has provided my this past yr is more board time, but ur going to have learn how to drag up-wind and to keep your board with u at some point in time.

I use surfboard style leash.

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Apr 07, 05 3:51 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
fuc-wad dax::

it's a bitch that I can't edit,,

You stupid mofo,, ban me???

you dip shit??

fo

Ok,,that's better

Now just don't be afraid of anything,,,That's the key...

It's a wild and woolly west,,and your spot,

da gorge!!!,,,,

Is well beyond mellow,,,you got some real swinging dicks in residence,,,

And that leads to an awful lot of stoke,,,,

Just relax,,,,,

I'm ain't hype,,anti promo,,anti most everything that'd fuck up your game

So just relax,,,it may sting abit at times Wink

But over-all,,,well over-all,,,

I'm not such a bad sort Cool

now,, by-gones,,,fresh start
Regards
fokiten

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostThu Apr 07, 05 4:17 pm     Reply with quote

Oh how we've missed you fo. Are you getting help for the tourettes syndrome? We long for your fo-etry. By the way, do you use the middle finger for your comma key? Laughing

PostThu Apr 21, 05 2:39 pm    lose the leash Reply with quote

The best thing you can do is to learn to body surf upwind. There is no reason to endanger yourself needlessly because you don't have this skill. New Wind Kiteboarding in the Gorge teaches the upwind body surf to beginners on their first day in the water.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: