Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Portland Tribune with Jeff Takashima

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostFri Sep 23, 05 9:12 am    Portland Tribune with Jeff Takashima Reply with quote

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=31104

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostFri Sep 23, 05 10:43 am     Reply with quote

25 feet of air when it's blowing 10? Damn Mark is good! Laughing

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostFri Sep 23, 05 10:47 am     Reply with quote

Oh, and this:

Quote:

As many as 70 kiters will be flying at Sauvie Island on a good day; yes, some run into one another.

Shocked

That's good fodder for a ban.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Sep 23, 05 12:38 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Karl your a shor-timer so whatcha care about bans anyway. Wink

I think quotes in articles are almost always misquoted and at the very least taken out of context, so you can't always say that it was the person speaking to blame.

Thanks for finding the online copy of the article Trevor! Here is a blown up version of the photo of Jeff:

http://nwkite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=676

CoryfromTHECREW

Since 27 May 2005
57 Posts
Lakeview Oregon, or Anchorage

PostFri Sep 23, 05 1:02 pm     Reply with quote

Whether its good publicity..or bad publicity...its publicity none the less.

Glad to see the sport getting some coverage.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bdc8622

Since 31 May 2005
74 Posts
PDX

PostFri Sep 23, 05 1:16 pm    Publicity Reply with quote

I didn't know that we needed publicity to personally enjoy the sport. More people at Sauvies is not necessarily a good thing.

A stretch seems par for the course.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Sep 23, 05 1:36 pm     Reply with quote

I think some publicity is a good thing... new blood in the sport means you got someone to buy your used gear at the end of the year. Plus you never know who the next individual to push the sport may be. The next Lou Wainman or Ruben Lenten could be living right here in Portland and just hasn't given kiteboarding a try yet.

I don't know about you but risking having a few more gapers at Sauvies may be worth that.

I'd also rather not see our sport fade into obscurity like windsurfing. You need new blood to keep pushing things forward and keep things growing. Imagine if a new kite quiver didn't have to cost as much as a 95 Civic. Imagine if the budgets for R&D were the same as other sports. Imagine what kind of developments in safety, performance, and durability that would bring.

Also Sauvies is only crowded because everyone tries to ride in front of the same 150ft section of beach. If you walk (or ride) upwind a ways, there is endless room.

Cheers. Thumb's Up

CoryfromTHECREW

Since 27 May 2005
57 Posts
Lakeview Oregon, or Anchorage

PostFri Sep 23, 05 1:55 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
I think some publicity is a good thing... new blood in the sport means you got someone to buy your used gear at the end of the year. Plus you never know who the next individual to push the sport may be. The next Lou Wainman or Ruben Lenten could be living right here in Portland and just hasn't given kiteboarding a try yet.

I agree completely man. Speaking of Lou...you guys gotta go check out his interview. asnews.net

But seriously...publicity can help. As he said..used gear has to go somewhere. And it keeps the shops in town open.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: