Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rooster river level

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kim

Since 11 Jul 2005
21 Posts
Seattle, WA

PostThu Sep 22, 05 7:08 am    Rooster river level Reply with quote

In anticipation of the first easterlies of the season this weekend... does anyone know how high the river is at Rooster? Is the beach exposed yet?

Thanks!

Kim

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Sep 22, 05 7:29 am     Reply with quote

Super low water levels last time I drove by... should be fun, nothing like flat water lit on a 7m. Thumb's Up

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostThu Sep 22, 05 8:04 am     Reply with quote

i was out there about 6 weeks ago and it was super exposed and wide open. not to mention butter smooth and money on my 9m.

hopefully things will go into fruition for this weekend...i'm itching to get back out there for a little downwinder.

anyone know how accurate the rooster rock wind sensor is on the link form this site? what are the most reliable time's during the day.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Sep 22, 05 10:58 am     Reply with quote

I don't think the Rooster sensor itself is that accurate. Just take the Corbett sensor and add 10mph, sometimes you can look at Stevenson but you usually want to add 5-10 to whatever its saying. ... best wind is between 11am-2pm.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 22, 05 1:47 pm     Reply with quote

Rooster Rock Park sensor is located up in the parking lot on a building so add 10-15mph for a true channel reading (as the good Dax recommends) …Mr. Green... ~D

Exclamation Question Idea Arrow http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesonet/getobext.php?wfo=mso&sid=KRRW&num=48&raw=0

Let's Hit Some >>Drunk& Get Some Thumb's Up

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostFri Sep 23, 05 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

How strong is the current at Rooster? I am planning to head out there tomorrow and am wondering how easily I will be able to stay upwind. I have been kiting for a couple of months and don't usually have any issue, but all of my sailing has been on west winds in the gorge.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Sep 23, 05 12:35 pm     Reply with quote

Kodiak wrote:
How strong is the current at Rooster? I am planning to head out there tomorrow and am wondering how easily I will be able to stay upwind. I have been kiting for a couple of months and don't usually have any issue, but all of my sailing has been on west winds in the gorge.

It's harder for sure to stay upwind, but the wind is very strong so you are on small kites and they usually go upwind much easier than bigger ones.

Nice thing about Rooster is the beach is so long you can walk a mile or more upwind before you launch so you have a long way to go downwind.

Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostFri Sep 23, 05 1:11 pm     Reply with quote

The water level is super low right now, lowest I've seen if for a long time. Be aware that the current is strong, and the far side is heavily forested. If you start losing ground to the wind make your correction really early, as the current will pull you along faster than you might think, and there isn't an easy pull out after you pass the park.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: