Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Slingshot 2006 Product Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 16, 05 8:39 am    Slingshot 2006 Product Review Reply with quote

'06 SS Product Review from Dax's most favorite Character/Nemesis >> "GraemeF"

See Kiteforum.com for all the links and updates:
Arrow http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2320053&sid=7f044f796ee6c6e735007f37b8a421b7

Quote:
Slingshot 2006

Well we have been finally given the green light to announce all that is new for Slingshot in 2006.

This is definitely the year the Slingshot organisation comes of age, now in only their fifth season, they are ready and able to take on the majors in what is the fastest moving watersport currently in existence. Kitesurfing is currently in a white hot development phase, as its oversubscribed market base vies for commercial advantage.

Barely five years ago Slingshot was a small company nestling in a corner store style operation in the backwoods of Oregon run by kitesurfing enthusiasts. That fact still remains (the enthusiast bit) but the small has become arguably world number two and they are set with a product line that has set its sights on being world number 1.

They have announced a four line range this season which is a risky departure from their successful model of having a “one kite does it all” philosophy, but the line has the benefit of having grown organically through the previous season.

Control Bar
3 new control bars with a new safety feature at the chicken loop, and control mechanisms for fifth line or bridle kites.

Octane.
A kite rich in aerodynamic features that combine to keep the kite climbing to every last centimetre possible before the stall returns the rider slowly back to the water.
With the ability to vary attack angles, and batten assisted flare to ease the exit angle, no other kite has the range of performance of this light at the bar booster.
Phantom power is the way the power band has been described by marketing department as a mean of explaining how a kite that generates so much speed and apparent wind generated lift can do what it does, however you read it, it is a kite for the technical rider with huge jumps in mind. Like they say, don’t buy anything else til you’ve tried an Octane.

Fuel
The Fuel has grown from strength to strength over the years, no other kite has the longevity in the market, the sheer build quality and the canopy shape and flare.
This season it gets fifth line as standard, but it still remains a solid four line performer. Its two piece leading edge with double overlapped segmentation, internal taping and warp and weft aligned construction assure zero distortion at the front whilst the split struts built within the canopy offer a gust absorbing canopy which “breaths” and twists off to ensure maximum range for this classicaly styled kite.
The Fuel stands alone as the big wave riders arsenal, it can take the punishment of being downed in the overfall, swept up the beach, or trashed in the soup. There are even legends of Fuels being left overnight in the surf and coming up flying the next day when the owner recovered it. There simply is nothing tougher out there than a Slingshot Fuel.

Machine
This is the kite that lead to the innovations that gave the Octane its performance.
A forward weighted kite, with a large leading edge and wide range of attack angles to ensure flight in even the lightest breeze, yet continued use in quite a stiff breeze should one appear unexpectedly.
The Machine appeared during 2005 and astonished many a heavy rider with its ability to boost in wind as light as 10 mph, indeed the author has witnessed a rider weighing 100 kgs jumping 10 ft in wind that was indicated to be 8 -10 mph using the 20.5 model which is regarded as the “sweet kite” in the line.

Turbo Diesel
Since the Legaignoux brothers released their patented “bow” kite design in the spring of 2005, Slingshot have been preparing a version of this super safe design. Aimed squarely at the entry, intermediate and freeride market, this design fell right into the traditional Diesels market area.
With a bridle on the leading edge, there is no requirement for a fifth line, and by simply sheeting out the bar, the kite has more depower than conventionally controlled kites. Slingshot have also refined their control bar to assist the rider in the manual depower on the fly, by repositioning it to the rider side of the bar.
Combined with the surefire spreader bar system, this kite is about as safe as it comes and permits the safe performance of anyones repertoire of moves.

There follows some links to sites with more info, including my visit to the 06 conference, their taster website, and a discussion on the aerodynamics of it all on a U.K. web forum (take it with a pinch of salt and forgive the English irreverant humour)

Any questions I’ll keep an eye on the thread for a few days providing its not to windy here.
Links
Distributor meeting trip
2006 Preview
Octane discussion

BrDRdR

Since 20 Aug 2005
26 Posts

PostFri Sep 16, 05 4:21 pm    Slingshot's THE kite Reply with quote

Slingshot is THE best. Products and customer service are top notch. An '04 bar of mine failed mid season, and they replaced it with new '05 set up - Complete set of new lines and the works -FOC and no questions asked. The guys and gals over there kick ass.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostMon Sep 19, 05 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

here is a link that provides info on the new 2006 stuff: Enjoy

http://www.sskiteboarding.com/6-preview-overview.htm

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 22, 05 2:04 pm    Octane Bag Reply with quote

Sneak peak at the new Octane pack (bag) Wink ~D

octane_bag_204.jpg 

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Sep 22, 05 2:24 pm     Reply with quote

Hey as long as we are going all out pimpin SS, I thought I'd mention that I went to their website and noticed they had a "FREE DVD" link posted on their hompage. Well I emailed the posted address with nothing more than my mailing address and "Gimme a free dvd" in the subject line.

Low and behold couple days later, DVD shows up UPS style. Sweet! Haven't had a chance to watch it yet but its free, so I got to give it two thumbs up. Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 22, 05 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

Yah, a local boy, Brian Lippy, produced that piece with Fusion TV. Jeff Tobias was supposed to be there but he blew out his knee, again.

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostThu Sep 22, 05 10:01 pm     Reply with quote

but what is up with that horrible color scheme on the new octanes. turqoise and fuscia?? i didn't think they could get much worse than the "poop brown" they used on last years fuels. but they did, man do they need a colorist bad.

CoryfromTHECREW

Since 27 May 2005
57 Posts
Lakeview Oregon, or Anchorage

PostFri Sep 23, 05 11:06 am     Reply with quote

bamboo wrote:
but what is up with that horrible color scheme on the new octanes. turqoise and fuscia?? i didn't think they could get much worse than the "poop brown" they used on last years fuels. but they did, man do they need a colorist bad.

I agree totally..they have good kites..but the color layout sucks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostFri Sep 23, 05 11:39 am     Reply with quote

I like my poop brown colored kites. I am not crazy about any of the bright colors though. Any color kite is good as long as it is not 80's dayglow.....

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 26, 05 6:01 am     Reply with quote

Preview of '06 SS colors from Japan Question Shocked
Looks like there will be Poop & Day-glow for all!!

Arrow http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~lesailes/ksurf/p2004/p2004.html (scroll down)

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostMon Sep 26, 05 6:49 am     Reply with quote

[quote="blancoh2o"]I like my poop brown colored kites. I am not crazy about any of the bright colors though. Any color kite is good as long as it is not 80's dayglow.....[/quote]

What is this? Interior design? I don't really like my dayglow Boxer colors but if I break down offshore, it's nice to have some color out there.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 26, 05 7:42 am     Reply with quote

Color can save your ass offshore! Just ask Will at Floras Lake. He was drifting out to sea a few years ago when a fishing boat spotted him with their spotlight after dark. Shocked

On the other hand, shit color doesn't help with the steez factor...

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostMon Sep 26, 05 9:28 am    Re: Octane Bag Reply with quote

[quote="Dano"]Sneak peak at the new Octane pack (bag) Wink ~D[/quote]

This your new quiver Dan?

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 26, 05 9:33 am     Reply with quote

Nope, not yet?? I grabed the pic off kiteforum.

I'll be testing the '06 SS kites & boards soon. If ya want to come along, let me know. I still haven't decided on which kites/boards to go with. I have been flying the '06 torches & they are sweet kites! ~D

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 29, 05 9:41 pm    SS - Blue TD Pic Reply with quote

Arrow http://forums.ikiteboarding.com/forums/9953/ShowPost.aspx

SS TD - Blue
 SS TD - Blue  SS Blue Bow.sm.jpg 

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 30, 05 11:01 am    SS Octane & '06 Bar Review Reply with quote

Arrow http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2320462&sid=22d7449aba0bb1ff964487b68a99cdbc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: