Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Shorter Days

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Sep 13, 05 6:37 am    Shorter Days Reply with quote

Who else is bummed about less sun? I find it very hard to wake up in the morning without it. Also makes after work riding much more difficult.

Grrr.... Mad

I heard somebody say at work that they might extend daylight savings time a few weeks? Wishful thinking or truth? anyone know?

kitetele

Since 20 Mar 2005
121 Posts
Portland, Oregon
Stoked

PostTue Sep 13, 05 7:02 am     Reply with quote

This is true for 2006...Bush voted for it this year..he did something right! Laughing

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Sep 13, 05 8:25 am     Reply with quote

I have started to check out the snow gear to see if there was any must haves for the new year. My yuppie machine will be happy to not be marinating in salt water on the jetty. To another good year of kiting in the OR minus the extra fog that seemed to lingure in florencia.hopefully we get another 2 months of wind before it turn around from the south. Go out there and get it while you can,leave now. Exclamation

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Sep 13, 05 9:52 am     Reply with quote

two months is a little optimistic ... if you look at the wind archives, the good north wind basically goes down around mid to late oct. considering we seem to get at least a good weeks worth in march, that makes for a 7 month season, which is plenty long imho

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Sep 13, 05 10:01 am     Reply with quote

speaking of wind coming up. Sauvie is blowing 9 from the north....

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostTue Sep 13, 05 11:11 am     Reply with quote

as a newbie to the nw kite scene (and the world of wind) what can be expected out of the winter months around here? i have typically reserved that time of the year to free-heeling but have found that the kite has provided a stimulus for a new addiction and that that has completely trumped all else...including the wife.

is there wind in the winter? i know it's butt ass cold but is it doable? i'm already planning on taking 5 weeks off around feb/march to go kiting in asia so that's in the works. however, i don't want to go into it without having been on the board for several months. what's the delayo.

BrDRdR

Since 20 Aug 2005
26 Posts

PostTue Sep 13, 05 6:39 pm     Reply with quote

What I hope for every year is no lapse in the ridin. Water to snow, and then back again in the spring. Those transitional times are good for trips and projects around the house that were neglected d/t more important things (kiteboardin/snowboardin). Yee-ha- I get energized just thinking about all that ridin to be done. Razz

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Sep 13, 05 9:46 pm     Reply with quote

bamboo wrote:
as a newbie to the nw kite scene (and the world of wind) what can be expected out of the winter months around here? i have typically reserved that time of the year to free-heeling but have found that the kite has provided a stimulus for a new addiction and that that has completely trumped all else...including the wife.

is there wind in the winter? i know it's butt ass cold but is it doable?

It depends on your schedule, generally I find myself working harder, spending more time with the girlfriend, and snowboarding than I do kiting in the winter.

You can ride east winds at Rooster Rock until around mid November and then its just too darn cold. Then its SW storm winds on the coast, which honestly I have never tried but are supposed to be pretty fun. The Oregon coast water temps are warmer in the winter so that's a plus. But you are riding southwest winds, which means rain.

To me its better to ride out the season until the rain and cold gets here, then just not to think about it, put it out of mind... get your chores done. Go snowboarding/skiing. Save up some cash for a couple kite trips to pull you through. March comes and slowly things start to come back to life.

Hats off to all those NW kiters who go hard through Dec-Jan-Feb, I'd love to hear about it on the forums this winter. Thumb's Up

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 14, 05 10:42 am     Reply with quote

bamboo wrote:
as i'm already planning on taking 5 weeks off around feb/march to go kiting in asia so that's in the works. however, i don't want to go into it without having been on the board for several months. what's the delayo.

i wouldn't worry about putting the kites down for 3-4 months prior to your trip. generally i think the rust comes off in about 10 minutes (for the most part).

kitings not like tennis or golf or something where it takes you a couple of weeks to get your mojo back...

with re: to SW winds at the coast. I've done it a couple of times, and had some fun. but it seems to me that this where the coastal residents really have us valley dwellers beat. the SW wind forecasts don't seem to be anywhere near as good as the NW summer wind forecasts (which still leave something to be desired) and storm winds don't seem to follow as predictable pattern as the thermal based NWs. bottom line : you end up investing a lot of driving for not really all that much riding.

now, if you could get to the coast in 15 minutes I'd be all over those storms. But to my mind, 3 hours of driving and $15 in gas requires a more reliable reward....

just one man's experience, I'd be curious if some valley dwellers have coastal storm thing dialed..

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostThu Sep 15, 05 12:43 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, the SWerlies are pretty weird but not always associated with rain. Sometimes you have leading winds and sometimes trailing and there can be plenty of sun in between... and some rain too. Agreed that you have to be on it. Not uncommon for the session to last a couple of hours and be done. Anytime of day too, so there's no waiting for the wind to "mature" in the afternoon. Better stay east junkies and enjoy the snow but I'm stuck and not mothballing the kites anytime soon.

PKH - can you put this alien emot on?

new_alien.gif 

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Sep 15, 05 12:48 pm     Reply with quote

Sweet Alien Stink Eye!

SW'ers are sweet for us Goofy-foots!

PS..you guys want to extend your riding time? Get a mountain board! I had a landmark sesh yesterday at Manzo whilst water-based riders could only schlog! Very Happy

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Sep 20, 05 12:24 pm     Reply with quote

barfly and slither - got your guys icons uploaded, you will have to use the "view more emoticons" link until you get your syntax memorizziled.

Drunk

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 20, 05 7:07 pm     Reply with quote

Alien + Drunk = Shocked

PS Wind died early.... It's getting dark now... I'm bored or drunk or both...

PPS PKH, please delete. I double posted & then modified... or was it double fisted??? Not sure, please help.....................

Last edited by Onad on Tue Sep 20, 05 7:38 pm; edited 3 times in total

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 20, 05 7:15 pm     Reply with quote

kitetele wrote:
This is true for 2006...Bush voted for it this year..he did something right! Laughing

Yah, Monkey Boy voted!! More like senior staff showed him which button to push for the banana to appear...

Arrow http://home.nyc.rr.com/jadedem/gw1.html

George W. Monkey Boy
 George W. Monkey Boy  Monkey Boy.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: