Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

relaunching yarga

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

PostWed Sep 07, 05 11:03 am    relaunching yarga Reply with quote

I know a couple of you experienced guys have Yargas so maybe you can offer some advice. I have an 11 and a 7. I have found that sometimes the 11 is easy to relaunch and sometimes it flies upside down directly downwind a few inches above the water, when it does contact the water and i pull on one line to steer it to the side it curls up and takes quite a bit of persuading and swimming to get it to track to the side so it'll take off. It's an '05.5 and i'm using 5 lines, i've checked the line lengths are even. My Airush is much easier to relaunch (in fact it would be hard to keep it on the water). This is when their is plenty of wind.

thanks - paul

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostWed Sep 07, 05 11:03 am     Reply with quote

that was my post - thought i was logged in

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Sep 07, 05 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

Two things you could try: put a bit less air in the LE, this will make it fold easier when its flipped over downwind of you and relaunch.

Second thing I try to do is when you are swimming to flip it on its back, start pulling hard on one of your side lines right as its about to flip all the way over. This will usually cause it to relaunch right away.

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostWed Sep 07, 05 12:58 pm    Re: relaunching yarga Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
...i'm using 5 lines...

If you are using a 5th line don't pull so much that you flip the kite onto it's back, if you do that you make it harder on yourself, you shouldn't need to swim at all.

The trick is to pull to the point that the kite is starting to flip but doesn't go all the way over, then tension one of the rears to get the kite to move towards the edge of the window. I hook in, point one end of the bar at the kite, reach as far as I can up the 5th and pull until the kite starts to tilt over. In a second or two it starts moving to the edge. You are basically "flying the kite" the same as when it's in the air, except it's on the water. Once you get the hang of it it's easy, you can even put your board back on your feet before you relaunch

Mike S

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Sep 07, 05 9:01 pm     Reply with quote

oops, missed the 5th line part... ditto what mike said. Very Happy

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostWed Sep 07, 05 9:04 pm     Reply with quote

Mike is right on. It's much easier to relaunch with the board on your feet as well and those hot relaunches where you waterstart as soon as your kite comes up are fun too. Entertainment for the whole family really. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: