Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Winter is Coming...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostWed Sep 05, 07 9:52 am     Reply with quote

That is a sick vid! Those guys are throwing down hard on the snow. Puts me to shame for not going harder on the water. Guess that's what the 9ft swell is for in the next few days Very Happy

How about a few shared sleds? I'd probably be interested in throwing down if we could get regular excursions going.

How's the avalanche danger up there? Is it mostly flat to get to the kiting area?

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Sep 05, 07 9:56 am     Reply with quote

Any time you are in the mtns there is some avi potential. We always have beacons on. There is one spot imparticular that can load up.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostWed Sep 05, 07 10:17 am     Reply with quote

I have been interested in getting a sled for a while now but I know nothing about them. Do you guys have any links with good information that could help us newbies out. What we should look for, how to maintian them...ect.

Thanks

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Sep 05, 07 10:35 am     Reply with quote

Most sleds are two stroke, so not too different than your PWC. Keep the fluids full, carry some extra oil & an extra belt.

I'm only an aspiring sledneck and am by no means an authority on the matter. But look for something that hasn't been beaten on too hard, avoid the short tracks, don't buy a sled if if doesn't start within the first couple pulls, make sure stuff works (hand warmers, lights, etc), look out for bent skiis, arm, etc.

I'd buy something as close to stock as possible-- the more after market sh@t on it, chances are the more its been pounded on.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Sep 05, 07 10:39 am     Reply with quote

Steezy

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/for/414314885.htm

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Sep 05, 07 10:42 am     Reply with quote

dude, sleds are fun but they are also a pain in the arse and maintenance can be expensive.

mschulz

Since 29 May 2007
530 Posts
Reno, NV
Addicted

PostWed Sep 05, 07 10:43 am     Reply with quote

Pacific high is correct- stay away from modifications - it sounds cool until it breaks down every time you ride.

Also beware of shady owners. A lot of guys selling sleds will warm them up before you get there and you have no idea how long it took them to start it. To avoid this, make sure you tell them you want the engine cold when you get there to see it. Pull the hood and feel around the cylinders to assure it is cold. Then try and start it. If it is warm - buyer beware.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Sep 05, 07 10:46 am     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
dude, sleds are fun but they are also a pain in the arse and maintenance can be expensive.

Then don't buy one or kill it on the snow all winter. All toys are expensive and a pain the ass.

For me the juice is worth the squeeze.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 05, 07 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

For sure, I wanna kite this winter, the coast is not a viable option unless you live there, and I know PacificHigh got up there on the mountain like every weekend! Timberline isn't very predictable either...

I think I'm going to put away for one, might score one by January. Yo Genek! If you want to split one, I'd be down, we can tow one of us in via a tow rope. I think the road is pretty mellow.

pacifichigh wrote:
Then don't buy one or kill it on the snow all winter. All toys are expensive and a pain the ass.

For me the juice is worth the squeeze.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Sep 05, 07 3:26 pm     Reply with quote

you will be able to tow in if you wait till spring. The snow will have to be fairly hard. If you want Pow Pow then get a sled with at least a 151 track and 800cc. Otherwise you will be spending your time "attempting" to get to the back country. Not that that is wrong......

Sledding is a ton of fun.
See pics below for the Right way and the wrong way! Wink

Don't be like this......
 Don't be like this......  AlbeeStuckTree Red.jpg 
Be Like this!!!
 Be Like this!!!  onTopStHelens red.jpg 
Dont be like this.....
 Dont be like this.....  Pow Pow red_edited-1.jpg 
Be like this!!
 Be like this!!  jump reduced.jpg 

www.naishkites.com

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostWed Sep 05, 07 6:46 pm    Very Cool!! Reply with quote

Man that looks very fun!

KidCorporate

Since 10 Jul 2007
563 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 05, 07 8:00 pm     Reply with quote

trevorsmith wrote:
pkh wrote:
Kiting is probably the most amazing spectator sport there is, its just impossible to capture the scale of it on video.

Unless you have to look at this all the time Shocked

Finally, someone gets a shot of me kiting.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 05, 07 11:13 pm     Reply with quote

151 inch track fairly common?

That actually works out well because I'll spend a good portion of the season just snowboarding until I finally get bored which happens around late Feb or early March... Then I can get a relatively cheap snowmobile and tow people up to the plains.

Mark wrote:
you will be able to tow in if you wait till spring. The snow will have to be fairly hard. If you want Pow Pow then get a sled with at least a 151 track and 800cc. Otherwise you will be spending your time "attempting" to get to the back country. Not that that is wrong......

Sledding is a ton of fun.
See pics below for the Right way and the wrong way! Wink

Ringorama

Since 01 May 2006
64 Posts
Wilsonville

PostThu Sep 06, 07 1:19 am    Snow Kiting & Snowmobiling in Central Oregon Reply with quote

Got to chime in...

If you've never hit a sled before, then I'd suggest a day trip rental. Aim for a rental outfit that rents sleds no less than 600cc. Aim for mountain sleds. 144 track minimum with 1-1/2" paddles. The bigger sleds 800cc with 151 tracks weigh greater than 550 lbs. And digging those sleds out is tough & exhastive. Try and shoot for a sled with less than 2500 miles.

As far as snowkiting goes, we've been lucky enough to explore/scout a few open areas that have wind (occasionally and on the right day) behind Mt. Bachelor and up around Moon Mountain (Broken Top) area.

Elk Lake Resort, behind Mt. Bachelor has both real afforadable winter cabins (rustic log cabins) to run excursions out of (www.elklakeresort.net) and they rent newer mountain sleds (600cc & 700cc Mountain Sleds). Plus they have black butte porter and mirror pond pale ale on tap. This is no 5-star resort, its old and rustic. But if you like being buried in 8 feet of powder that you can access right out your cabin's front door, than this place is for you. If you don't own a snowmobile, you can catch a ride on the resorts snowcat into the resort (1-1/2 hr trip on the cat from Mt. Bachelor). There is more than enough room on the cat for your kites and gear. If you can find the right windy day, sparks lake is a 20+ acre clear WIDE open spot about 10min snowmobile ride from the resort. If Elk Lake is frozen over I believe that it's possible to snowkite on the frozen lake (I have not yet tried it...hopefully this year...been skunked 2 last year). Also up at the higher elevations above the tree lines on the SE face of Broken Top is the a wide open area that I'm aim to hit this winter...I'll make future posts on our successful snowkiting missions and places to go after we concur it...

Shame on me for getting a head of myself...I still don't want summer to end...but planning for the winter season near does hurt...

PM me if you want more details about Elk Lake Resort.

Very Happy

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Sep 06, 07 4:28 am     Reply with quote

From what I understand the Plains of Abraham on St Helens face east and hte SW wind we usually get wraps around and makes the place fairly reliable. Maybe PacificHigh can chime in on this? I'd only be interested in buying one if it gets me to a fairly reliable snow kiting location.

For back country stuff, I'd just get a split board as there are tons of locations that you can just skin up to.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostThu Sep 06, 07 5:06 am     Reply with quote

The Plains rawk on southerlies/ sw'lies. It can not be windy down on the Lahar and once you get up higher to the plains its on. The wind seems to accelerate as it comes up and around the mtn.

There are some options that I have not explored for more of a west/nw exposure.

I really want to check go check out some spots around goldendale once we get some good low snow levels.

Forecasters are saying we are gonna have a sick winter-- LA NINA!!

We still have some good time on the water, but snow is right around the corner.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostThu Sep 06, 07 7:38 am     Reply with quote

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/rvs/414674968.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/rvs/414805654.html -- I want this one!!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/rvs/411172173.html

Last edited by pacifichigh on Thu Sep 06, 07 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: