Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Bandon Area.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
CoryfromTHECREW

Since 27 May 2005
57 Posts
Lakeview Oregon, or Anchorage

PostMon Sep 05, 05 9:02 pm    Bandon Area. Reply with quote

I am going to be in bandon from Tuesday Night, until Saturday Morning.

Anyone else in the area. I have some basic kite experience. I have taken the lessons up until you get on the board.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Sep 06, 05 9:56 am     Reply with quote

Go to Floras Lake.

Self launch (upwind from everybody, far north end).

Do a mini-downwinder. (Yield to the windsurfers).

Crash the kite and walk back up and repeat.

Or, if you've got the cash, take a lesson or two from Will at Floras Lake.

CoryfromTHECREW

Since 27 May 2005
57 Posts

PostTue Sep 06, 05 11:35 am     Reply with quote

Ok, the plan is I will be there Saturday. I am staying in North Bend at the Comfort Inn, how far is Floras Lake from North Bend. Also, I have an 11 Yarga, and a MLF 120.
I will be there until Monday afternoon, with the option of Staying until Thursday.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Sep 06, 05 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Cory how much do you weigh? MLF 120 is a pretty brutal beginner board. Very wide and short with lots of rocker = not a great upwind weapon. Maybe you could rent a board from Will while your out there.

Also I'd camp if you got the gear to. When you camp you are right there, just walk down to the lake first thing in the morning and catch the best wind of the day (its always way less gusty in the mornings.) Its a super nice campground. Hot showers (bring quarters) and a beautiful view.

Thumb's Up

CoryfromTHECREW

Since 27 May 2005
57 Posts

PostTue Sep 06, 05 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

Hey man, thanks for the continued advice.

Im 5'10...140. ive got a size 12 4E shoe.

I cant camp, im staying at the hotel with my older sis. I dont have access to a car though. I have seen the Floras Lake site though. It looks like an option. I was just hoping someone from the site had plans on going down.

What board size would you throw out?

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Sep 06, 05 2:34 pm     Reply with quote

ho man you are so close and you're not gonna kite that's NUTS. you gotta figure out a way to make it happen.

there's a small coos bay crew but don't think they read the forum and 1/2 the time they go north to ride anyway.

there's a couple places where you might be able to launch right in coos bay if you can get a short lift (or a long walk). i've gotten rides from the spit before. coming from the north you talk the right hand turn right before north bend on the road that with water on both sides. follow it around as it bends left and park at the boat ramp.

wind is sort of side-off there but not so off-shore that you can't body drag it back to the same side of the bay (worst case you can wash up on the other side of the bay) wind can be gusty there, and the tide can create some current, but geez its better then nothing. there are probably better launches around there but i dont know them.

if i was you, i'd seriously consider hitchhiking down to floras lake. i've picked up tons of hitchhikers around that area they seem to get rides... (i guess you can't hitch since you're only 16, but geezzz, to come so close and not see mecca)

CoryfromTHECREW

Since 27 May 2005
57 Posts

PostTue Sep 06, 05 3:39 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the advice man.

I will be in the Beaverton Area at the end of next week. If I ever make it to any of your riding spots...dinner is on me or somethin. I will talk to my sis about dropping me off down there for a day or something. I love this sport, and hope to get buried in it.
Thanks for your help man, Your a great guy.

Laters,
Cory McFarland

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Sep 06, 05 4:20 pm     Reply with quote

dont worry about me i can buy my own dinner.

next two days look windy get to the lake EARLY

CoryfromTHECREW

Since 27 May 2005
57 Posts

PostTue Sep 06, 05 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice bro.

I get there Friday Night...hopefully Saturday Morning has potential.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Sep 06, 05 7:46 pm     Reply with quote

Floras is maybe the sweetest flat water riding in all of Oregon, you got to hit it up Cory.

Grab a 130-136 for good upwind. The MLF will be great when you are ready for lit wakestyle, but for now 130x38... something in that size will help you get upwind.

CoryfromTHECREW

Since 27 May 2005
57 Posts

PostTue Sep 06, 05 8:32 pm     Reply with quote

I can get a deal on a used WLF. Should I try that out?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Sep 06, 05 8:53 pm     Reply with quote

Never tried the WLF... If you got the LF connection, go for the Drop... really nice board. Thumb's Up

CoryfromTHECREW

Since 27 May 2005
57 Posts

PostTue Sep 06, 05 9:25 pm     Reply with quote

Drop..sounds like a plan.
I dont have a LF connection really..I just know some guys with used boards...well..nevermind..im not gonna say anything.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: