Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

leading edge line lengths

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Sep 04, 05 1:04 pm    leading edge line lengths Reply with quote

can any of my more experienced bretheren (sisteren?) help me with a question regarding my center line length. when a bit underpowered, trim strap fully deployed, i have a hard time really getting back on my edge, hips forward, shoulders back, and in assuming this postion not oversheeting my kite as well. Its as if my arms are not long enough.

ishortening up my center lines helps some, i can then roll my sholders back and my hips forward. but by shortening my center lines am i not , in effect, just depressing the angle of attack of the kite, much like pulling in on the trim strap? i can then ride in good position, but my kite seems again underpowered. is there a solution for this other than rigging a bigger kite for the day, or growing longer arms? is it related to the dreaded seat harness i wear?
thanks
jimbo

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun Sep 04, 05 3:17 pm     Reply with quote

Jimbo,

There's lots of info regarding this stuff. I noticed Kitefilm.com has a kite tuning vid posted.

Here's what I can say...(and by center line it sounds like you mean the trim line...line from your trim loop to your front lines (not 5th line?).)

Most bar and lines come pre-rigged with the trim line length at about 10-12 inches. I think most people perfer to shorten it to around 8 inches or a bit less. This reduces your trim range but most find it more comfortable.

At optimal trim, your back lines should be just slightly slacked. Then when you need a little extra, you can tug on the bar a little. Use the adjustment knots at the kite and down by the bar to get things just right.

You also can choose between where you want the bar at optimal trim (either up against the knot which give no room for depower, or down a few inches from the knot, then by extending your arms you get a little depower)

Hope this helps...

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Sep 05, 05 8:37 pm     Reply with quote

Here's a graphic I came up with a while back to try to help people dial in their line lengths. The key is to keep tweaking your depower strap until you got things dialed and then adjust your lines to match.

Easiest is to rig your lines all equal with depower strap all the way out and bar pulled all the way in. I agree with Slither that shortening up the throw on your bar can be huge for helping your stance and posture. IMO the depower lost in the bar is little compared to how much leverage you will gain by not having to hunch way over when your bar is all the way out.

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Sep 07, 05 9:01 am     Reply with quote

thanks mates for the info, i am gone to hatteras tomorrow for a week of bliss (please God, let there be wind but not too much!), taking my daughter who is so stoked on kitin its coming out of her ears, and the info you have provided will help.

jimbo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: