Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

teaching kids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

PostSat Sep 03, 05 5:36 pm    teaching kids Reply with quote

First post, so a little history. I am an enthusiastic novice with decent kite skills, but did not have enough money to drop on gear this season.

Flew a trainer kite a ton last year (and continued to this year) and in late August I took a couple of lessons in Hood River and was getting short rides by the middle of the second day. Short rides = blissfull few seconds of planing followed by a yard sale crash Shocked , but I was always able to keep the kite flying.

This season, as I've mentioned, I couldn't get gear (life, wife, and kid), but that should change come tax time in 06.

This brings me to the reason for my post - My boy, 11 and 85lbs, has spent about as much time flying the trainer kite as I have and gets the basic ideas. He can keep it on each side of the window and can land/launch using hand signals and control. He has some board expereince from snowboarding, he plays way to much hockey (ice&roller), and has good balance in general. He is very excited at the idea of getting to kiteboard.

I want to get him some solid lessons early in the season next year and am looking for any suggestions on quaility kid teachers in the Oregon/Washington area. We live in Portland, but are willing to travel to make the first LEI adventure a safe and comfortable experience. Are there any camps focused on kids in the area? I would be taking a refresher as well.

As I browse for gear for myself are there any brands/types that I should concentrate on for him if I stumble across them?

Thanks!

cjbpdx

Since 15 Mar 2005
13 Posts

PostSat Sep 03, 05 6:33 pm    good instruction Reply with quote

i've had very good instruction from stormwarnings in hood river. definitely check them out....they were great at getting me out in the right wind conditions (avoiding the days with too much, etc...), willing to extend the lesson if there were unforseeable delays, etc. the instructors were very helpful and friendly, always willing to give good explanations.

as far as gear, i purchased a low aspect kite and foud it to be very forgiving as i learned. (in fact, it's a cabrinha 16m and i'm selling it and bar/lines for $350...it's in great condition!)

hope this info helps you out and write with any other questions...
cjbarney74@gmail.com

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostSat Sep 03, 05 7:30 pm     Reply with quote

I learned when i was your son's age 3 1/2 years ago and went through the same problems. I do not recommend getting lessons in hood river! It is a zoo; the conditions aren't very good, and its crowded. also strong wind presents a unique problem for your son. to keep him from being overpowered on a typical gorge day they will put him on a tiny kite designed to work in 35mph+ wind. it will barely fly and he will be hating it. around 15mph winds on a ten meter kite was the best balance for me until i weighed more.
I was very happy with the lessons i took from All Surf Industry. They are here in Portland so you wont have to travel too far and you can learn on sauvies island which is very mellow. Your son wont have to ride a trainer kite to stay on the ground.
as far as gear for him goes don't go for anything low aspect because it wont fly for him. most higher aspect ratio kites will fly OK for light people but if you can get a crossbow. they are perfect for light people you will be able to ride the same size kite in the same wind.i hope to see you on the water good luck!
-Tucker

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostSun Sep 04, 05 12:30 pm     Reply with quote

Not answering the question, but: gear shouldn't be an issue, you can get used stuff that'll still get you going for next to nothing these days.

And for teaching, I think the best thing to do is find a friend with a boat/jetski, choose a day/place with mellow wind and flat water and do boat assisted kiteboarding with your kid.

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Sep 04, 05 12:48 pm    lessons Reply with quote

okay, so like our thumbs, everybody has an opinion-usually they are about worth what you pay for them, in this case, nothing, but what the hell here is mine:

first of all, i am a relative newbie (just beginning to stayupwind with the right combination of conditions and kite, good sleep the night before, moon and stars in correct alignment, etc.) i remember my lessons in hr at the sandbar (w/stormwarning, i might add): CRAZY conditions, winds 16 gusting to 30 with lulls in the low crappy, rig a 10-too small, rig a 12-too small, rig a 15-too big, your instructor yelling instructions from the sandbar, like cell phone speak, about every third word making any sense. And have you seen the sandbar in the summer? do you wnat your kid rigging up there? all that place lacks are clowns for a full-on circus.

if i had it to do over again, (and i do: my 19 year old daughter is currently taking lessons), i would never put them out on the sb at first. take a lesson from jimmy dorsey and kiteboard oregon. why? because he will meet you WHEREEVER the wind is, from kalama to hr. Kendra my daughter did a downriver boat-assisted run from wells island to the sandbar with jimmy and tobe and she rode for an hour her second lesson. talk about board time! finally, jimmy is safety oriented and much less money.

and no, i am not affiliated, except in the spiriit of the sport and in appreciation of good value.
jimbo

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 04, 05 4:42 pm     Reply with quote

New Wind Kiteboarding at the sandbar in Hood River does a lot of kid lessons. They even have a camp just specifically for kids. Also with New Wind kids lessons are cheaper then adult lessons, they also have jet skis to help with downwinders etc. I would definantly give them a call.

(541)387-2440 or check out www.kiteschool.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tch

Since 08 Aug 2005
17 Posts

PostThu Sep 08, 05 9:05 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I'll agree with most that learning at the sandbar is not really a good option for a kid unless you are boat/PWC assisted away from the crowd.

My experience was with New Wind and I felt that I received good instruction, but was very limited in space, not to mentioned the frustration of trying to hear the instructor that was at times 25 to 50 yards away. Not a slam on the experince, I learned a great deal, but not where I want my kid to start. Glad to hear they have a camp specificly for kids - just maybe in a different location.

I have seen Will's (from Floras Lake) name dropped numerous times here. For those who know him would he be a good choice to work with a kid and how about Floras Lake? It sounds like it is possibly the best location in Oregon.

Tucker - 3 1/2 years ago, what was the most difficult thing for you as you began the sport?

Thanks for the help
Tom

CoryfromTHECREW

Since 27 May 2005
57 Posts
Lakeview Oregon, or Anchorage

PostThu Sep 08, 05 9:12 am     Reply with quote

Im going to try and go to Floras Lake with Will next week. I will get back to you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
tch

Since 08 Aug 2005
17 Posts

PostThu Sep 08, 05 9:13 am     Reply with quote

Jimbo how do I get in contact with Jimmy Dorsey?
Tom

CoryfromTHECREW

Since 27 May 2005
57 Posts
Lakeview Oregon, or Anchorage

PostThu Sep 08, 05 9:17 am     Reply with quote

tch wrote:
Jimbo how do I get in contact with Jimmy Dorsey?
Tom

503-407-5130
rjdorsey@yahoo.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
tch

Since 08 Aug 2005
17 Posts

PostThu Sep 08, 05 9:31 am     Reply with quote

Cory you are on it! Have a good trip south

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostThu Sep 08, 05 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

Will at Flora's is a great instructor, he is really patience and has lots of great tips for learning. Will also has two or three son's that are like 11-14 years old and they all kite, and have been kiting for a few years so I am sure he could teach your son with out a problem. Here's a link to his website

http://www.floraslake.com/kite.htm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: