Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

The state of kiting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Real Harry

PostThu Sep 01, 05 12:31 pm    The state of kiting Reply with quote

Have you guys notice the lack of kiting? It seems to have hit a real standstill. It's the same few people out there that seem to struggle to keep it alive. On the other hand it looks like windsurfing is having a resurgence. Is kiting on the way out?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Sep 01, 05 12:40 pm     Reply with quote

I sure hope so, more room on the water for me. Very Happy

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostThu Sep 01, 05 1:38 pm    the death of kiting Reply with quote

First off, kiting is not a state. But just for the sake of argument, if it were a state, it's flag would have to flap 24/7 under a steady breeze. The legislator would assemble to vote on bills like the following: "Fuckin'-A Dude, let there be killer swell on the river, mackin' surf at the coast, a steady and warm breeze and cold beers after every session."

With respect to the death of kiting. I must agree. Kiting died. But, just after kiting died, it was reborn. The rebirth was ugly, but luckily was buried in a sarcophagus much like the Sarcophagus of Junius Bassus, marble, 359 CE, in the Grottoes of St. Peter, Rome.

Rolling Eyes I'm a bit baffled by this thread.

F48.jpg 

Last edited by 4Stringer/KipWinger on Thu Sep 01, 05 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostThu Sep 01, 05 1:50 pm     Reply with quote

i did notice that last night at sauvies, it was not as crowded as i anticipated. however, not sure it has died really. maybe just the big bubble of posers who talked a good game last year finally got the hint that this sport is one that takes time to learn and be good.

kt

Spencer

Since 24 Jun 2005
29 Posts
Portland

PostThu Sep 01, 05 3:10 pm     Reply with quote

I think the above post is just someone who is bored at work, and trying to stir up a lively discussion. The spit seems plenty crowded to me. And if you check out this photo of Tarifa, Spain, it seems like there are plenty of kiters out there. The guys from Tarifa claim that this photo was taken on a Monday, and that on weekends they've counted more than 650 kiters at their beach at one time. They also say that they have more than 30 kiteboarding shops in their town. This makes those unbearably crowded days at the spit seem a lot more tolerable in comparison!

Spencer

Real Hary

Since 01 Sep 2005
6 Posts
wandering
Kook

PostThu Sep 01, 05 3:34 pm     Reply with quote

But really don't you think it's dying?? It seems like everyone just wants to windsurf again....

Real Hary

Since 01 Sep 2005
6 Posts
wandering
Kook

PostThu Sep 01, 05 3:36 pm     Reply with quote

Could it be that kiting is on the verge of being.....cancelled?

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostThu Sep 01, 05 4:12 pm    Windsurfing is so fun Reply with quote

Why would anyone want to kite instead of windsurf? Windsurfing is safe, only gets epic a few times a month and is super low altitude. I would much rather go work on my Spocks and chachos than huck 10 foot kiteloop handlepasses, so much safer. Laughing

BrDRdR

Since 20 Aug 2005
26 Posts

PostThu Sep 01, 05 4:48 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah - whatever

Spencer

Since 24 Jun 2005
29 Posts
Portland

PostThu Sep 01, 05 7:30 pm     Reply with quote

Wow, there's some big-time trolling going on here!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: