Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hats Off to Brave Dave...Pardu on Saturday night

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostThu Sep 01, 05 12:06 pm    Hats Off to Brave Dave...Pardu on Saturday night Reply with quote

Please indulge the ramble-fest which follows and forgive what may appear to be overdramatization on my part and some unrelated hell-giving to one shop which will remain nameless.

The short-of-it is that Brave Dave, a guy who's done an incredible amount of good for kiteboarding in the gorge is leaving Stormwarning after 8 years to pursue other projects. There will be a party at his house on Saturday, September 3rd in Hood River. Call Stormwarning (541) 386-9400 for the details.

Although you'd never hear it outa' his mouth, back in the dark ages of the sport (1999...when there were no 4 line kites, kite harnesses, kiting magazines,videos, schools, sponsored pros and only 1 inflatable kite company on the planet) Dave helped to bring kites to the first retail kiteboarding shop in Hood River. And here's where you'll have to gut-out a bit of soapbox preaching on my part. This was at a time when other shops in Hood River didn't embrace the sport, nor did they offer any support to it when asked. Okay...I'm getting a bit off-topic here, but suffice it to say that big windsurfing shops turned their back to the sport until it appeared the sport would improve the $ bottom line = smart business, but low on what I value in a shop; actually caring about the sport. End offtopic rant.

Dave has always cut through the hype of the sport and offered his best advise on what actually works. The dude has helped countless kite flailers like myself. I'll comeback and add a few words when I have a few more minutes to do the man justice, but suffice it to say he'll be missed.

Jim

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostThu Sep 01, 05 10:22 pm    Re: Hats Off to Brave Dave...Pardu on Saturday night Reply with quote

4Stringer/KipWinger wrote:
Please indulge the ramble-fest which follows and forgive what may appear to be overdramatization on my part and some unrelated hell-giving to one shop which will remain nameless.

The short-of-it is that Brave Dave, a guy who's done an incredible amount of good for kiteboarding in the gorge is leaving Stormwarning after 8 years to pursue other projects. There will be a party at his house on Saturday, September 3rd in Hood River. Call Stormwarning (541) 386-9400 for the details.

Although you'd never hear it outa' his mouth, back in the dark ages of the sport (1999...when there were no 4 line kites, kite harnesses, kiting magazines,videos, schools, sponsored pros and only 1 inflatable kite company on the planet) Dave helped to bring kites to the first retail kiteboarding shop in Hood River. And here's where you'll have to gut-out a bit of soapbox preaching on my part. This was at a time when other shops in Hood River didn't embrace the sport, nor did they offer any support to it when asked. Okay...I'm getting a bit off-topic here, but suffice it to say that big windsurfing shops turned their back to the sport until it appeared the sport would improve the $ bottom line = smart business, but low on what I value in a shop; actually caring about the sport. End offtopic rant.

Dave has always cut through the hype of the sport and offered his best advise on what actually works. The dude has helped countless kite flailers like myself. I'll comeback and add a few words when I have a few more minutes to do the man justice, but suffice it to say he'll be missed.

Jim
that is right.no 4 lines and no other bullshit ,,people did not know what to think of the sport.. i have known dave for a good while ,and he has seen us go thru the motions... its all for the great feelings we get when we do this sport...... i remember when he lived down here.... and ran pac wave.... along with j an j....... put those together and you will figure it out .the originals.... by the way .had a great sesh.... 2tonite @ the wreck... invisable wind.... glassy waves with only one other person...... and some bros finishing up a down winder..... on the beach as always,, mega.......

gtm

Since 04 Jul 2005
34 Posts

PostFri Sep 02, 05 6:14 am     Reply with quote

Dave's level of customer service has always been way beyond what I would expect. He helped me out numerous times with equipment issues, often with stuff I did not even buy from him. I am sure he will do well what ever he does next. Good Luck Dave.

shymac

Since 20 Jul 2005
919 Posts
Home Valley, Wa.
Bigfoot

PostSun Sep 04, 05 2:36 am    One of the best bros around... Reply with quote

I second that little bit of information about the Brave. I worked with him for about 3 1/2 years at Storm Warning and I would have to say it was one of my most valued times of my life. Dave is one hell of a guy! His commitment to being his best day in and day has left an impression that I will never forget. One of the greatest things about Brave Dave was his energy to getting the job done right and his up front approach with handing our customers. I know Hood River is going to miss him. Don’t be sad though; because I bet now he will have more time to be in the water. So if you see the Dude kiting or pole riding give him a slap on the ass and tell him how much you love him. We will all miss you Brave Dave and good luck.

Sorry I was not able to make it to the party I was to busy climbing poles.

Schey Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: