Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

When is someone ready for Lyle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
KidCorporate

Since 10 Jul 2007
563 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Aug 19, 07 10:22 pm    When is someone ready for Lyle? Reply with quote

OK, so I've been at this controlled insanity known as kiting for a solid six weeks now, and I'm at the point where I have no trouble staying upwind provided the weather cooperates. I'd like a change from the crowds and wonky wind at the event center so I'd like to try Lyle. Are there any other skills that come in particularly handy at Lyle? My buddy that I do most of my riding with is about 3 weeks behind me in the learning curve, will he be able to make it out there this season?

hedquista

Since 13 Apr 2007
72 Posts
Salt lake city

PostMon Aug 20, 07 5:45 am     Reply with quote

lyle is not much different than the event site. it is jsut smaller. the channel is narrower and the swell is jsut as big. it is a great area in my opinion. the wind can be super funky some times so be aware. dont park the kite at 12 when on the beach of you have the possibility to get yarded

Optimus Prime

Since 23 Jul 2007
49 Posts

PostMon Aug 20, 07 6:06 am    parking Reply with quote

respect the train area...keep it open by parking on the north side of the road. Smile bring beer for the locals!

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostMon Aug 20, 07 6:33 am     Reply with quote

Lyle is very similar to the sandbar actually. You could ride upwind of the sandbar at lyle fairly safely and you can stand up quite a ways up-river, but you have to really watch out for all the debris in the water. I know several people that have hurt themselves or ripped fins off their boards because of hitting a log or stump.

The wind is also pretty flukey at Lyle. If the direction is right, you get the wind coming straight down the river and it can be nice. If it comes over the cliffs though, it can be gusty as hell.

Finally keep an eye on your stuff when you are out. The water can rise pretty fast there, and what looks like a huge sandbar when you go out, can disappear pretty fast. ALways put your gear on the highest section of the sandbar. When the sandbar is huge it realy only takes a few inches for 95% of it to be underwater.

Last edited by Kodiak on Mon Aug 20, 07 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total

KidCorporate

Since 10 Jul 2007
563 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Aug 20, 07 8:42 am     Reply with quote

Righto then, hopefully I'll see you guys out there next weekend. I've heard about the debris before, is it confined to one area or is it all over the place?

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostMon Aug 20, 07 9:27 am     Reply with quote

KidCorporate wrote:
Righto then, hopefully I'll see you guys out there next weekend. I've heard about the debris before, is it confined to one area or is it all over the place?

pretty well scattered all over the place on the western side of the sandbar. There is less debris on the eastern side of the sandbar there, iirc.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Aug 20, 07 9:34 am     Reply with quote

hey kid, you'll be fine but definitely take a couple of passes and look for woody debris. You can get REALLY hurt if you slam into woody debris. Also mind the water depth as it stays shallow for quite a while. Other than that it is a great place.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostMon Aug 20, 07 10:11 am     Reply with quote

also give the fishermen a wide berth the salmon are starting.

holly

Since 09 Jul 2006
440 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 20, 07 7:04 pm     Reply with quote

dont go to lyle you will hate it.... people crash kites into other people and there is funky wind! you should by-pass lyle and go to dougs everyone is nicer and the launch is way better!!!

Bonetti

Since 29 Apr 2007
411 Posts
So. Cal./Oregon
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 20, 07 7:13 pm     Reply with quote

Go to Lyle!!! I always see tons of beginners there!!!!

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Aug 20, 07 8:39 pm     Reply with quote

You'll be fine just as long as you're not in the way (if you play close the sandbar watch out for others, otherwise get upwind/downwind). Lately there's been a ton of retard/newbies pissing everyone off. A month or so back, Jeff's wife, Mary was out riding... While on her reach in, a guy upwind on his tack out close-lined her directly in the neck after failing to bring his kite up (he got some words, a buzz, and a nice little spray after that though). Then on Saturday some dude runs into Jeff and crosses lines because he didn't wanna drop his kite (Jeff had the right away here - Starboard tack and he was upwind).

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostTue Aug 21, 07 11:27 am     Reply with quote

I saw those two kites crash. The green one was a rev right???

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Aug 21, 07 12:54 pm     Reply with quote

Yea, Jeff was on the REV and the other dude was on a blue Crossbow (I think).

KidCorporate

Since 10 Jul 2007
563 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 21, 07 2:27 pm     Reply with quote

Well I promise to keep the douchebaggery to a minimum.

Whereabouts is Doug's?

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 22, 07 1:38 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Whereabouts is Doug's?

let the fun begin!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: