Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Back Pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
captain crusty

Since 30 Aug 2005
92 Posts
PDX

PostTue Aug 30, 05 10:53 am    Back Pain Reply with quote

Ok been usin the waist harness for years as a windsurfer, and have been kitein w/one for 3. The thing is starting to really work my lower back, pain issues this year Confused . Anyone using the seat harness? They look a little tight on the nuts, hows the wieght transfer feel on the bar..etc. Any feelings on these ass strapin diapers....Any other back pain kiters out there?

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostTue Aug 30, 05 11:49 am    Back pain Reply with quote

Pain is a part of life. Try a seat harness and feel your low back tighten up even more. Kiting is just hard on the body, period. Smile

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Aug 30, 05 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

I disagree. I use the seat harness from dakine. I got the best one they sell. I forget the name. About $100. It pulls from my lower back and butt. I have not had any complaints at all. In fact, my lower back has never felt better. THe leg straps are not all that tight. I seem to have good mobility even doing the sauvies light wind walk.

Also try to pop your hips forward and have your chest back. Seems to give a better edge to the board and better posture.

IMHO.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 30, 05 12:39 pm     Reply with quote

I ride with some guys with a history of back problems and they all use the seat harnasses. scriffler's comments aside, everything I've heard is seat harnasses are kind to the back.

Near as I can figure, people ride waist harnasses for the steez factor, and also to avoid the diaper feeling. I'm low-steez no matter what, and the diaper feeling brings back warm memories (no pun intended) so I go with the seat harnass.

Dakine's Fusion harnass is the model you want...

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostTue Aug 30, 05 1:45 pm     Reply with quote

hey crusty,

i liked the da kine fusion from 2004 but, found the 2005 really high on the back and actually made me arch in. i got the nitro shorts and really like them a lot. pulls on the kidneys a bit when jumping but, other than that, they are great.

tried the waist harness and for the next few days, my ribs were really sore so i went with the seat. also, i feel i get a lot more leverage on the kite with the seat. i can control the power a lot better with my legs.

kt

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Aug 30, 05 1:49 pm     Reply with quote

Ps Dakine fusion is the one I got. Very happy with it.
See if you can borrow someones different harnesses and experiment.

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 30, 05 2:50 pm     Reply with quote

yep i have a fractured lower vertebrate from snowboarding, and no problems with dakine fusion. i never considered a waist harness b/c of this. btw, one of the best kiters i have ever seen uses a fusion b/c he is young and doesn't want to be crippled in a couple years.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 30, 05 3:24 pm     Reply with quote

Make sure you aren't hunched over riding, you want your back to be straight. Shortening your depower throw can help this a lot, mine still has my arms bent slightly even with bar all the way out. Point your hips/shoulders/head in the direction you are going.

A lot of people (most maybe) don't ride with a good stance/posture IMO. You will feel better, get upwind better, and handle gusts better with good stance and posture. Mine I think can still use work on my switch side.

Not sure if this applies to you or not... good luck with the back.

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostTue Aug 30, 05 3:28 pm     Reply with quote

I have always had a bad lower back but first started kiting with a Dakine Storm seat harness (which is the most comfortable harness for standard build to thinner riders) and later switched to a Dakine Pyro waist harness. IMHO I think comfort depends on the way you are built and leverage depends on your style and/or skill of riding. At first switch I didn't like the waist harness especially for jumping because of the pressure on the ribs. But then I'm a skinny guy so I am sure that was part of it. Now the waist harness is perfectly comfortable in all situations and doesn't bother my back at all in fact my back actually feels a little stronger then before.

I believe the main reason people wear a waist over a seat is for the mobility. In a waist you are way more flexible in just about everything you do where as with a seat its tough to even put your board on your feet if you got long legs.

I say try them both before you make a choice. I would only return to a seat harness (which I kept just in case) if I had a rib injury of some kind.

BrDRdR

Since 20 Aug 2005
26 Posts

PostTue Aug 30, 05 3:42 pm    Back pain Reply with quote

I damaged my back when I was young, skiing, and never really fully recovered. I have used a Da Kine waist harnesses for 7yrs. and have not had one problem with my back. I like them for freedom of movement and comfort. Plus, they don't put the ol' package out there for display like the seat models tend to do. I have done strength taining for the lower back, and this has helped alot. Strong muscles also help prevent injury. This may be the way to go rather than change your gear. Mr. Green

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostTue Aug 30, 05 6:52 pm     Reply with quote

I have only been kiteboarding for about a month and a half now. I started using an impact vest, and had some lower back pain. I just switched to the nitro pants seat harness and have not had any issues. I really like them and they are quite comfortable. Although around the time I switched I also started focusing more on how I wasa standing on the board. I was probably leaning over at the waist too much before, and the seat harness helps my posture.

brokenlizard

Since 03 Aug 2005
88 Posts
Running around the pool with scissors.

PostTue Aug 30, 05 9:14 pm     Reply with quote

PKH

How do you shorten the throw in your chicken loop line without affecting depower?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 30, 05 9:27 pm     Reply with quote

Jethro wrote:
PKH

How do you shorten the throw in your chicken loop line without affecting depower?

Sorry, no way I know of... unless you can get a smaller chicken loop...

My suggestion is you get used to riding powered with the bar pulled all the way back. That way you can use all the bar throw to depower.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostWed Aug 31, 05 8:33 am     Reply with quote

I had back surgery a few years back, ruptured disc..so my back has had its issues. I ride with the Nitros Shorts and love them. The pull is at the lower part of your hips/ass and not at your waist. It takes a few times out to get used to the lower pull.

I like it cause its the only thing that does not give me a wedgy and tasting the speader bar when it rides up. The shorts you can wear sitting down cause there is not huge ass pad like a seat harness.

Just my 2 cents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: