Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Good coastal spots for a vacation/kiting semi-newbie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wingnut

Since 29 Aug 2005
5 Posts
North Shore, Vancouver. B.C.
Kook

PostMon Aug 29, 05 11:38 am    Good coastal spots for a vacation/kiting semi-newbie. Reply with quote

Hi there, I will be going down the Oregon coast in the next few days and am looking for some good spots to camp or stay (hotel/motel) that also might be close to some newbie friendly kiting. Places where you can hike back easily, as I am just starting to go upwind a bit (mostly just staying near where I start from) I am going to be travelling with my two sons ,13 and 15, and would be looking for places that would have some skimboarding opportunities as well. How about the Dunes area? anything there in the way of the above? Anybody know of some good dune buggy rental places? Cool

scooter

Since 23 Apr 2005
99 Posts
hood River

PostMon Aug 29, 05 1:16 pm     Reply with quote

Florence, just west of Eugene has some great dune buggy and quad rentals. I dont have any specific names, but there everywhere. As for kiting, the south jetty in Florence has several miles of open beach! have fun!

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostMon Aug 29, 05 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

If you are pretty new head down to Bandon, on the Southern Coast. You can ride flatwater on Floras Lake (Which is right on the ocean w/great wind) or go down to whiskey run beach.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Aug 30, 05 7:32 am     Reply with quote

Got to spend a night or two at the Summerhouse in Seaside. You can walk to the Necanicum river mouth for flat water sailing. (Watch out for the River Troll) Tony the owner will give you the whole scoop and probably take you out. Great skim boarding and lots of other stuff to do.

check it out: www.summerinseaside.com

The wind should be good this week. I will be out there, hope to see you.

crasher

Since 21 Jul 2005
23 Posts
Long Island, NY

PostTue Aug 30, 05 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

PH is right. Floras is very newbie friendly. Kind launch and lots of shallow flat water.

Stay clear of the newbie windsurfers.

And when you're ready, walk your kite across the sandbar and try the Ocean.Make sure your ready, the shore break can be tricky.

Have fun.

Craig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: