Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

I've been blessed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Aug 29, 05 11:11 am    I've been blessed Reply with quote

This past week has been good kiting for me. On thursday I got to ride 4 hrs on my 8m and 12m at Rooster. Fairly smooth winds, hot and sunny weather, no run-ins on the Viet-Shlong trail, an a chance meeting with Shannon Best!

Yesterday I was at Stevenson and although the launching and landing from the "aircraft carrier, USS Stevenson" is challenging in more ways than one, the close charges and brushes from "THE DANGLER" sure made up for all the hassle of getting on and off the water. Sure nice to be loved . . .

"THE DANGLER" rules!!!!!!

Laughing

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Aug 29, 05 11:25 am     Reply with quote

Was that Shannon riding a crossbow on Sunday at the crowd bar?

I have a photo but no time to get it posted though, later.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Aug 29, 05 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

azazello wrote:
Was that Shannon riding a crossbow on Sunday at the crowd bar?

I have a photo but no time to get it posted though, later.

I can confirm Shannon is in town, not sure about the Crossbow part though.

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostMon Aug 29, 05 12:54 pm     Reply with quote

Saturday afternoon at Rufus a couple Best kites launched as were packing up, some dude (that we figured could not be S Best since he looked like an intermediate kiter that was just baf'ing and not doing anything) on a 11m Hellfish flew his kite right thru and sliced all 4 lines of another guy that was on a red 8m Best (who up to that had been doing some cool unhooked kiteloop handle passes). A jetski went out to rescue.

About the same time we saw a Crossbow hit the drink then start flopping and inverting several times in a very ugly way, but the guy managed to get it relaunched after I thought it was hopeless. Not pretty

The SlingShot Octane that was out earlier looked pretty nice, other than that not a good day to watch the new stuff perform I guess. We headed to Roosevelt to find better wind.

Mike S

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Aug 29, 05 1:07 pm     Reply with quote

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Aug 29, 05 3:18 pm     Reply with quote

Nice shot! but that's not Shannon, that's Henry... Very Happy

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostMon Aug 29, 05 3:31 pm    North kites are best Reply with quote

You guys should all realize the best kites are actually North. Spend a little extra and get 10 times the performance and quality. Naishes are next best, but spend your hard earned yuppie money on something really good. Plus the resale value is better. Cool

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Aug 29, 05 4:26 pm    Re: North kites are best Reply with quote

Scriffler wrote:
You guys should all realize the best kites are actually North. Spend a little extra and get 10 times the performance and quality. Naishes are next best, but spend your hard earned yuppie money on something really good. Plus the resale value is better. Cool

$1200 for 14m R5 vs $460 for 14m Nemesis. Will R5 jump 2.6 times higher?

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 29, 05 5:31 pm     Reply with quote

What are you talking about? Saturday afternoon was great at rufus. You shouldn’t have left. It picked up a lot. I wish I had kited even more in it, but I was picky and saving myself for the expected gale Sunday, which happened, but not as desired. I can confirm that true devil winds are inadvisable, but I’m glad I went out for a while.

Yes, I saw the weird thing with the Clinton’s kite drop (red nemi), but I thought he just broke something and Shannen went over to pull him in. i don't actually know, but i was on the water when it happened. I also watched them do a photo shoot and can confirm they are amazing riders. It was a great show.

Also, I think it is unfair to judge most Xbow’s you see on the water, b/c most of the people seem like real beginners. That was totally the kiter’s fault I think.

mikes wrote:
Saturday afternoon at Rufus a couple Best kites launched as were packing up, some dude (that we figured could not be S Best since he looked like an intermediate kiter that was just baf'ing and not doing anything) on a 11m Hellfish flew his kite right thru and sliced all 4 lines of another guy that was on a red 8m Best (who up to that had been doing some cool unhooked kiteloop handle passes). A jetski went out to rescue.

About the same time we saw a Crossbow hit the drink then start flopping and inverting several times in a very ugly way, but the guy managed to get it relaunched after I thought it was hopeless. Not pretty

The SlingShot Octane that was out earlier looked pretty nice, other than that not a good day to watch the new stuff perform I guess. We headed to Roosevelt to find better wind.

Mike S

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Aug 29, 05 6:47 pm     Reply with quote

Aha! Ok, when the red 14m Nemi and 11m Hellfish were up I was riding too on Sun.

Some more pictures from Sun:

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostMon Aug 29, 05 7:51 pm     Reply with quote

In my experience when there's a lot of N to the wind at Rufus, it's better at Roosevelt. I thought Rufus was really good until 3 or so, then it got holey and went more N so we bailed. Roosevelt was good but it always a gamble...

The guy on the Xbow wasn't that impressive a rider so I wasn't trying gauge the kite by him, I trust the positive reviews to be true. Just mentioned something I thought people should be aware of, seemed to be a bit different than the accounts I've read about them inverting while flying, but maybe he didn't pump it up enough.

gabe wrote:
What are you talking about? Saturday afternoon was great at rufus. You shouldn’t have left. It picked up a lot. I wish I had kited even more in it, but I was picky and saving myself for the expected gale Sunday, which happened, but not as desired. I can confirm that true devil winds are inadvisable, but I’m glad I went out for a while.

Also, I think it is unfair to judge most Xbow’s you see on the water, b/c most of the people seem like real beginners. That was totally the kiter’s fault I think.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Aug 29, 05 8:10 pm     Reply with quote

Is that Ruben Lenten in azazello's pics?

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostMon Aug 29, 05 8:20 pm    Yeah Reply with quote

Yeah, and he wasn't making many friends at the spit as you can see from his picture. I saw several people curse him out for jumping over them. Although he can kite like no other, definitely a sight to see......

Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: