Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Delta Meeting Minutes July 26th, 2007

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 14, 07 4:24 pm    Delta Meeting Minutes July 26th, 2007 Reply with quote

We just got this in email. I thought everyone might want to read about the proposed plans for the Sandbar Smile

Hood River Delta – Current Issues & Impacts and Potential Future Modification
Thursday, July 26, 2007 – 3:00 p.m. to 4:15 p.m.
Marina Center Boardroom

Email notice of meeting to permitted concession schools, Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association (GWA) and Columbia Gorge Kiteboarding Association (CGKA)

Port: Michael McElwee, Executive Director; Laurie Borton, Marina Manager
Guests: Andrew Jansky, Flowing Solutions
Attendance: Big Winds – Steve Gates
Brian’s Windsurfing – Brian Schurton
Gorge Kite School – Mark Worth
CGWA – Katie Crafts and Bruce Peterson
CGKA – Jim Grady and Adam Monaghan
Gorge Commission – Jill Arens

AGENDA:
1. Introductions, Meeting Expectations and Outcomes – Michael McElwee
2. Current Impacts & Issues - Discussion by School Concessions, CGWA, CGKA
3. Potential Future Modifications – Andrew Jansky, Flowing Solutions
4. Next Steps
5. Adjourn

McElwee opened the meeting at 3:10 p.m. and apologized for the delay stating that a long-awaited call regarding waterfront infrastructure funding had been returned from Oregon State Senator Kurt Schrader. McElwee thanked everyone for attending and recognized his or her efforts on the progress that had been made for a safe season.

McElwee stated the Port is drafting a Scope of Work with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers regarding the Corps potential study of a predictive model of the Delta. In conjunction with this study, McElwee said that Jansky would prepare a permit for the Corps consideration to request sculpting of the Delta’s windward (west) side for the purposes of protecting the Port’s investment in the Event Site and enhancing the Delta. McElwee emphasized that dredging costs were prohibitive and Jansky said that initial conversations with the Corps and Division of State Lands indicates the agencies are not as concerned with moving fill around since any work done would probably be temporary and eventually wash away. With that said, McElwee said there was still a need to move quickly if (1) the sculpting was needed and (2) determined to be cost effective because the permit process often takes six months, which Jansky said would be record timing, and the in-water work period is November through February, so a placeholder is needed if work is to be done in 2008.

There was little discussion on current impacts and issues as two permitted work parties had successfully cleared log debris from the Delta. Jansky did comment, however, that today was a good example of the wind moving a large amount of sand in a direction different from the current, and it was not a trivial amount. The wind also sorts the composition of the Delta so more cobble is being exposed. The discussion then turned to potential future modifications:

· Peel a section of the western edge of the Delta to fill in along the Event Site and riprap in front of Luhr Jensen and Lot 6. Grading and pushing land is easier to permit than dredging for the purpose of creating new land, which Jansky said agencies don’t like to permit. McElwee said there would be flowage easements to consider as well.

Delta Meeting – July 26, 2007 Page 2 of 2

McElwee also asked that if sculpting were done in order to protect the Event Site asset, would the area for kiting be diminished. The answer was no and the separation of uses was reiterated.

A question about the necessity of the west groin at the Event Site was raised. If removed, the sand may eventually move and fill towards the Hook, but Jansky said the groin acts as a wave break. If the Event Site was filled in entirely between the groins, then there was a safety concern that all users would be thrown together.

Another question was asked about the dolphins off Luhr Jensen and the Event Site. McElwee commented that SDS Lumber had agreed not to tie off their log rafts this summer but that there was a need for recreational users to understand the future commercial use of the dolphins, which does have waterway preference over recreational use.

· The use of a culvert was suggested as a means to enhance the boat basin opening to address water quality issues and to assure schools that ‘park’ wave runners on the Spit’s bank have quick and easy access to the Columbia River for rescues. Jansky said a channel would always be there because it’s below the water table and that placing a culvert in a meandering river would continually need to be siphoned. Jansky also predicted the Delta would naturally move in front of the Event Site and Marina and the long-term effect of any culvert work was questionable. From an economic and development standpoint the money to dredge the Nichols Boat Basin was thought
to be a dead issue according to McElwee. A question was asked about filling the basin and McElwee said it would probably be a year or two before the future use of the basin was known. It was suggested that the Port should ask Naito for monetary assistance since their development plans included a small marina.

· Extend the parking at The Spit.

· Extend the Hood River/Spit jetty so future runoff from Mt. Hood down the Hood River would wash debris to the east or ideally into the deep east-west channel of the Columbia River.

The consensus of the group was to not pursue Option 1 of moving fill to the east and into the deeper channel of the Columbia River but instead pursue Option 2 -- sculpt the western edge of the Delta by pushing fill west towards the Event Site and in front of the Luhr Jensen building and create a deeper channel into the Nichols Boat Basin. The group felt this option would enhance rather than diminish the Event Site and open more lanes of use. McElwee said the Waterfront Recreation Committee would be convened to review the information. McElwee also stated that Commission action was not certain, and may be unlikely if the cost is washed away next year, but he would continue to look into permitting for placeholder purposes. McElwee again thanked everyone for his or her input and attending at the meeting, which adjourned at 4:15 p.m.

proposed_shaping.jpg 

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 14, 07 9:29 pm     Reply with quote

Hmmm, deeper channel... does that mean I need water wings if I am walking over from the Event Site?

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 15, 07 5:49 am     Reply with quote

sure is a lot of verbage around "enhancing the event site".... I can tell who has more pull in this matter...

keep fighting cgka!

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Aug 15, 07 7:51 am     Reply with quote

I hope we get dinner and wine before we get F**ked.

I am NOT in favor of shaping the sandbar.... IE digging out the event site and making it impossible to walk to the sandbar.

Where are all the kiter cars/trucks going to park? our sand spit is overflowing now... and alot of kiters are parking at the event site.

Angry at always being taken advantage of....

Rant over.

www.naishkites.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Aug 15, 07 8:16 am     Reply with quote

Does anyone else find it irratating that the two cleanups were CGKA organized and performed by 95% kiters and all it says in the minutes is

"There was little discussion on current impacts and issues as two permitted work parties had successfully cleared log debris from the Delta. "

Two "permitted work parties"? How about CGKA and 150+ kiters.

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 15, 07 8:26 am     Reply with quote

Are the WSurfers having problems AS IS ? Seems like they have enough room to Plane & Jibe in the NO Plane/Kite zone to me. Wink

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Aug 15, 07 8:59 am     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
I hope we get dinner and wine before we get F**ked.

I am NOT in favor of shaping the sandbar.... IE digging out the event site and making it impossible to walk to the sandbar.

Where are all the kiter cars/trucks going to park? our sand spit is overflowing now... and alot of kiters are parking at the event site.

Angry at always being taken advantage of....

Rant over.

You guys should chill some. How are you being taken advantage of? Nobody ever said anything about making the channel too deep to walk to the sandbar from the eventsite. Its a fact the sand will continue to pile up on the western side of the sandbar. Why not move it to where it is more useful? As the eventsite grows to the western side, with enough area, it only makes sense that over time kiteboarders should be able to use the downwind section, right? Things can change/evolve to our favor when the kiteboarding community pulls together like this year and follows/self enforces the rules and continues to prove to be a respectable entity through various positive activities like the cleanups and the blowout.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostWed Aug 15, 07 10:08 am     Reply with quote

Mark-

I'm curious why you feel like we're getting the short end of the stick here? There was no mention made to dig the channel so deep that we wouldn't be able to walk across from the Event site. Furthermore, i think the only reason we've made mention of digging the channel is because it will have to be dug out if sand is moved across from the sandbar in front of the event site in a natural manner. The reason for digging the channel is so jet skis and boats for the schools that are tied up in the boat basin can get in and out. If you look at the image, i think all we are really changing is where are pathway out to the sandbar is.

furthermore, IIRC, at the last CGKA meeting, one of the things discussed and agreed upon, was creating more river access is a good thing. That is exactly what we're doing here. Imagine, one day, we have this beach along the waterfront in HR that stretches all the way from the Marina out to the Hook access road. Wouldn't that be sweet? a Nice long sandy beach that you could walk all the way from the Marina to the hook.

I feel like a lot of people think that the port is trying to screw us, and is only interested in accomodating WS'ers and frankly as someone who has attended many waterfront rec / delta / port meetings I'd like to state that this is just not true. My personal opinion on the matter is that the port is somewhat influenced by the needs and wants of windsurfers, because they've been around so much longer, the CGWA did help build the Event site, and WS'ers have more influence via representatives on the water front rec committee, etc, BUT the port also totally recognizes how fast kiting is growing in popularity and they are recognizing our needs and wants as well. I think the Port is doing a great job trying to meet the needs and wants of both the kiting and WS'ing communities. One thing it seems tho, is that some of the representatives of the WS'ing community want to keep our launching and rigging areas seperate, or at least keep us seperate from rigging and launching at the event site. This influence has been shown at meetings and IMO the port is accomodating this want from the WS'ing community.

Lastly, if we're creating more beaches and river access along the waterfront and we play our cards right, the kiting community should see some benefits as well. Hopefully, either making the new beach on the west end of the event site dual purpose OR possibly getting a portion of the grass for drying kites. If we dont see any benefits, the only thing we are losing is a chunk of sand we're not supposed to rig up on anyway. I personally would love to see a beach that stretches the entire length of Hood River which is going to be the natural course of events anyway, so why not help it out and speed it up?

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostWed Aug 15, 07 10:25 am     Reply with quote

I am getting tired of always "hopefully" "maybe" "if were nice" getting some scraps from the port and the WSers.

I want us to be just as important if not more important to the community.
If they want our sand.... build us a better lot. I want paved and grassy.

Its time to move to the front of the bus!

Mark

Ps thanks for all your and Jims time helping us out. This rant is not aimed at you guys. I just expected more from the port.

www.naishkites.com

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 15, 07 10:46 am     Reply with quote

since there is opportunity here, what would we (kiteboarders) need to do to partner with the port to build our own event site out of the kite spit? we have plenty of dirt.... plenty of water (for irrigation of grass). What we don't have is any grass, or enough parking (I noticed the kite booth moved all the way out near the gas station).

So, while proposing moving sand around, can we also propose that we move some sand to extend the spit and grow an area that we can use (then who cares about the event site)? Would we need to raise part of the money? That should be easy enough... a couple of benefit downwind or upwind races can raise a lot of money pretty quickly. Can we use some of the parking funds that are being charged for parking at the spit?

just wondering how we can make this benefit us both.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 15, 07 12:09 pm     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

Mark

Thanks Adam and Jim for the communication. It sounds like things might be in the works and it is a good opportunity to hear what everyone may have ideas on.

Mark, with all due respect, maybe it's time to step forward and help with the development of this. I can totally understand your frustration, maybe not on the same level because I don't kite the sandbar as much as you. I do know that the individuals who have already stepped up to volunteer their time for the CGKA should be recognized for their efforts and we should be providing them with solutions so that they can take them to the meetings. The kiting community is strong and we can and will make a difference to the appearance and function of the hood river beaches.

endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostWed Aug 15, 07 12:42 pm     Reply with quote

thank you jim and adam. many of us have of course been frustrated earlier in the season wondering if our kite launches were going to be diminished. definitely we need to be proactive and at the same time open to some compromise. yet if look back on the season as we near the final couple months of good wind, i bet everyone can be very pleased with how the sandbar controversy has unified the kite community. windsurfers and kiters can and have coexisted. the new sandbar has the capacity to handle very large crowds of kiters with relative safety. lets just let the good karma keep coming. the event site issue is going to be a slow progression. lets all celebrate the achievements of the summer by particapating in the KB4C event next week.
-scott

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostWed Aug 15, 07 1:00 pm     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
Mark wrote:

Mark

Thanks Adam and Jim for the communication. It sounds like things might be in the works and it is a good opportunity to hear what everyone may have ideas on.

Mark, with all due respect, maybe it's time to step forward and help with the development of this. I can totally understand your frustration, maybe not on the same level because I don't kite the sandbar as much as you. I do know that the individuals who have already stepped up to volunteer their time for the CGKA should be recognized for their efforts and we should be providing them with solutions so that they can take them to the meetings. The kiting community is strong and we can and will make a difference to the appearance and function of the hood river beaches.

I have attended all the clean ups and some meetings. Its hard being from Portland to be much more involved....
Ps I am very happy with the Jim and Adams work.. Just frustrated at still being second class water folk.

www.naishkites.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Aug 15, 07 1:01 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry for my water wings comment... my frustration is not directed at Jim or Adam but rather the whole situation and the port.

I trust you guys to represent CGKA so if this is for the greater good than so be it. Thanks for all of your efforts.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 15, 07 1:07 pm     Reply with quote

FlyinElvis wrote:
since there is opportunity here, what would we (kiteboarders) need to do to partner with the port to build our own event site out of the kite spit? we have plenty of dirt.... plenty of water (for irrigation of grass). What we don't have is any grass, or enough parking (I noticed the kite booth moved all the way out near the gas station).

So, while proposing moving sand around, can we also propose that we move some sand to extend the spit and grow an area that we can use (then who cares about the event site)? Would we need to raise part of the money? That should be easy enough... a couple of benefit downwind or upwind races can raise a lot of money pretty quickly. Can we use some of the parking funds that are being charged for parking at the spit?

just wondering how we can make this benefit us both.

bump

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostWed Aug 15, 07 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

no worries about the water wings comment. I half expected some of the responses.

Anyway, FlyinElvis, you make a good point. I think a good long term goal would be to help the city develope Lot 6 into a new water front recreation area for families and WS'ers and then make the event site dual purpose or kite only. This would be great, because then the sandbar and event site will eventually connect the way the delta is flowing and with the proposed shaping it would make for a beach all the way down to the proposed Lot 6 water front park. We can move the WS'ers west and make more room for the ever growing kiting community.

I dont think planting grass on the sandbar is gonna work. We might have plenty of water, but there is no way to pump it and water the grass. I can't comment on funds raised from parking at the spit; i dont know how those funds are appropriated. Having grass at the sandspit parking lot would be great and i think this is an attainable goal.

I think another good long term goal, would be to try and get running water and electricity at the sandbar because eventually, kiting will probably need both the event site and sandbar to support all of the kiters that will be coming to HR. Wink You're right, we could raise the money, but it is fairly late in the season to start doing that. We've had a great season so far, and thanks to that we are growing in numbers. I think the bottom line is the CGKA needs more people to step up, volunteer and take charge of fundraising projects if we want things to happen, because it costs $$$$.

Looks like we have something to discuss at the next CGKA meeting.

I'm still kind of at a loss as to why people are frusturated over this proposed shaping? We're not going to lose our access from the Event Site. The sandbar will continually shift westward filling in the area between the current sandbar and the event site. Preserving our access from the Event Site, pretty much no matter what. All we're agreeing to is to build more river access which gives the WS'ers more room, which eventually down the line means we'll get more room as well. Things just take time; I feel like we're moving forward with this issue. We're really just trying to find a happy compromise for everyone for the next season. IMO, i think the changes are pretty minor and it really is just the first steps in this long affair we're going to have with the river delta due to it's dynamic nature.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: