Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

what is the best way to learn to kiteboard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Tim

Since 15 May 2006
12 Posts

PostMon Aug 13, 07 5:45 pm    what is the best way to learn to kiteboard? Reply with quote

what is the best way to learn to kiteboard?

I'm often asked - what do you think?

Thanks
Tim

DROCK999

Since 31 May 2007
852 Posts
Left Coast
Opinionated

PostMon Aug 13, 07 5:46 pm     Reply with quote

take a number of lessons

Tim

Since 15 May 2006
12 Posts

PostTue Aug 14, 07 6:01 am     Reply with quote

... for a full learning program, I'm thinking

1. go to kiteboaridng sites, talk to people, master flying a trainer
2. buy an intro to kiteboarding video, get a basic understanding of the sport
3. commit to a multi-day lesson at a site with recommended conditions (ask a friend)
4. concentrate on self rescue, kite skills, upwind body drag, and kite safety systems in the lesson
5. learn about the weather, talk to kite shops, NWKite, ect
6. learn to stay upwind in most kiting conditions

My current thought is to recommend traveling to a location with the best learning conditions – room, trained instructor, and reliable wind (Baja??). You also need to commit a couple of consecutive days or a week to a lesson, and use rental gear in crashing and relaunching. Hood River during the week may be a good option (still crowded?), but what other less crowded and less gusty places do you recommend?

Learning to competently stay upwind seems to be the critical first step in kiting at many of the commonly windy sites around Portland. Many of the sites are more intermediate, either because of kiting traffic, current, waves, tough launches, or shipping traffic, and the basic skills are best learned at other locations.

So, where is the best place to learn? Where did you learn?

KingE

Since 27 Apr 2006
58 Posts
Lake Wenatchee

PostTue Aug 14, 07 6:22 am     Reply with quote

SPI is where I learned to ride a board. Flat, open, shallow so you can do the walk of shame from anywhere.

jeb

STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 14, 07 8:03 am     Reply with quote

check it out, it fits your criteria
http://www.floraslake.com/kite.html

Tim

Since 15 May 2006
12 Posts

PostTue Aug 14, 07 9:14 am     Reply with quote

Floras Lake lessons at $95/hour seems steep, but otherwise Floras would fit well with my idea of a kiteboarding learning program.

I've heard that Costa Rica and other places have much cheaper lessons ($45/hr). At that difference it wouldn’t take many lesson hours to pay for a plane ticket and supplement visiting a cool country.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 14, 07 9:41 am     Reply with quote

tim, almost anywhere in the gorge is 100/hr.... that seems pretty regular in the us.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostTue Aug 14, 07 9:55 am     Reply with quote

Costa Rica is a harsh place to learn to kite. I've rode @ Bahia Salinas and its full on, not the best place for newbies.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostTue Aug 14, 07 10:21 am     Reply with quote

SPI or OBX are great places to learn.
Wide open spaces, super flat water, great downwinders.

In OBX, a girl was just learning, did a 10 mile downwider with some other kiteboarders, and was riding by the end of that downwinder. Nothing beats easy access to/from the water, ability to stand up, and steady winds.

Trevor--

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostTue Aug 14, 07 10:30 am     Reply with quote

what is SPI or OBX?

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostTue Aug 14, 07 10:32 am     Reply with quote

South Padre Island, Texas

Outer Banks North Carolina

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 14, 07 10:34 am     Reply with quote

pacifichigh wrote:
Costa Rica is a harsh place to learn to kite. I've rode @ Bahia Salinas and its full on, not the best place for newbies.

what do you know about CR in September? I know it's "the rainy season", but any idea on windage?

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 14, 07 11:46 am     Reply with quote

Tim first thing is this sport is expensive be prepared to spend. Lessons are expensive but worth every penny. Dont want to deal with crowds take a lesson with a instructor who has a jetski, then you can be in the middle of the river and not have to worry about other people or your board.

Sign up for a multiday lesson alot of times they will give you a deal also if you have any friends who are interested they usually give group deals.

Second I totally agree with Pacific
Quote:

Its pretty harsh for a beginner, awesome place once your kiting. Really windy small kites and stingrays

pura vida one

Since 22 May 2007
80 Posts

PostTue Aug 14, 07 9:53 pm    lessons Reply with quote

i threw down a disgusting amount of cash on my lessons. and they were worth it. 4 lessons at 2-3 hours a piece, gas, a hotel room one night. spend it here or pay for a plane ticket and hotel. unless you have a true mentor i.e. a friend willing to take some significant time with you, i think you gotta do it. that, or risk hurting yourself and others. i fear people unwilling to get at least a fair amount of direct guidance as beginners. even w/ my lessons it was hairy starting out. and i still have a ton of respect for the power that these kites generate. safety first. the fun naturally arises, grasshopper.
the learning curve is ludicrous. so pay some dues and you'll be out having tons of fun shortly. i'm still paying, but that's the price of getting better.
the progression video series is sweet to go along w/ the lessons. and there are a few pointers in shannon best's vids 101, etc.
lastly, people say the coast is a bad place to learn. i think it's making me a better rider, yet don't dispute there warning. i've got experience in the ocean from surfing and living in HI, so that helps. it's something to consider...
ps. will at floras is a great instructor. he's got a radio and can chatter at you as you try to make it work. he's got the jetski too. i recommend him totally. riding the lake itself can be dicey and lead to fairly extensive chiropractic(my case). on a good day it's good, but so is everywhere else on a good day. there's butter to be had between the waves if you hit the coast right. acres of pure buttah.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: