Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

ASNews.net: Mark Doyle on SS's new REV, Lunacy and 08 Boards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
marina c

Since 03 Apr 2006
318 Posts
California/Gorge Summer
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 13, 07 3:11 pm    ASNews.net: Mark Doyle on SS's new REV, Lunacy and 08 Boards Reply with quote

PODCAST #86:

Slingshot's new REV is creating quite a bit of interest and is just starting to hit beaches worldwide.

Slingshot team rider, instructional guru and all-around great guy, Mark Doyle, is our guest on the ASNews.net / The Kiteboarder Magazine podcast this Thursday and is ready to answer any questions you might have about SS's new REV, which combines all the best attributes and safety features of the Fuel, Octane, and Turbo2. Mark will also unveil what's in store for SS's new board line-up, including the much anticipated LUNACY, the company's first pro model designed in cooperation with Ruben Lenten for powered, freestyle riding.

Got a question for Mark? Join the ASNews.net / The Kiteboarder Magazine LIVE podcast this Thursday evening at 6p PST (that's California time) and get your questions answered real-time.

-Date: Thurs, Aug 16, 2007
-Time: 6p PST (California); 8p Central (Texas); 9p EST (NY), early am Europe!
-Place: http://fubar.com/lounge.php?l=1293

If you can't make the live show, post your questions here and we will ask them for you! You can then download the show anytime on or after Aug 17, 2007, and listen at your convenience.

All podcasts are archived at www.thekiteboarder.com, www.asnews.net and www.kiteforum.tv. You can also subscribe to our Itunes feed and get notified whenever we upload our podcast and online magazine!

UPCOMING INTERVIEWS:

Next week: Surprise!
-Aug 30: Who the heck is Freak Dog?
-Sept 6: Ben Wilson on his new DVD and life out of boardbag
-Sept 13: Surf Expo - TBD
-Sept 20: Mystic designers on why all harnesses and wetsuits are not created alike

Last edited by marina c on Tue Aug 14, 07 8:02 am; edited 2 times in total

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Aug 13, 07 7:13 pm     Reply with quote

Lunacy! Not Lunancy, haha Wink

marina c

Since 03 Apr 2006
318 Posts
California/Gorge Summer
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 14, 07 4:38 am     Reply with quote

Thx for catching my typo! haha

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 15, 07 7:01 am     Reply with quote

I'd like to ask: The video shows a 4th line safety
cut-a-way in lighter winds, What about howling gusty winds with safety
cut-a-way? Does the Rev still fall safely down, or is there any of the "death spiral" a la Waroo OSH? And once it's down, is the Rev then safely waiting there, or is itfreaking out?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Aug 15, 07 7:37 am     Reply with quote

I was skeptical about the front line safety, I thought: I will never use that thing. But as part of the demo I thought it would be good to test.

So we were out at secret spot, its lit 7m wind, botched a jump, kite is coming down, I figure I'd rather ditch to leash then see the kite power up and tomhawk into the water last second. So I unhook and deploy the leash (I was hooked to the front line safety.)

THe kite fell fairly gently to the water, no spinning death spiral, just flagged out and dropped. My bar slid up to about 1/2 way up the lines. I worked my way up the line slowly. This is made a bit easier because the front lines are 800lb test and about twice as thick as normal lines, so they don't feel like they are going to slice through your fingers.

When I got to my bar everything seemed pretty well in order, nothing was tangled. So I grabbed the bar in my left hand and slowly fed the leash line through with my right. Once it got down to the last couple of feet I could start to feel the kite powering up again, one last check to make sure there were no tangles in the lines, then fed the last two feet in. The kite was ready to go, pull a side line, it relaunched instantly.

Got to say the whole experience was as mellow as a 5th line, maybe even more mellow because the kite felt so depowered during the process (instead of 5th line where they sometimes pickup off the water and hover.)

Its a great safety feature, the only downside is that when clipped into it the bar isn't fully spinnable. Its easy to either do spins the other way, or if you don't care about the safety just clip into the chicken loop. For people wanting ultimate depower safety without totally ejecting the kite, this will be very good.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Aug 15, 07 8:32 am     Reply with quote

Phil covered just about everything that I would say, but here's a little to add from Kiteforum. And about the "spinability" of the chicken loop, it's something you have to live with on any 5th line setup (when your leash is clipped to the 5th). If you don't want your lines to twist, there's always the option of clipping onto your chicken loop. Just put your Active Stopper Ball all the way out...

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2341026&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 15, 07 8:38 am     Reply with quote

How much depower do get with the leash just clipped to the Chick loop sans 5th line. Similar to 07 Waroo, or could it death spiral and send you skipping downwind headfirst?

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Aug 15, 07 8:48 am     Reply with quote

With the stopper all the way out (maxed), the kite has a ton of depower (definately less than a "C", even the '07 Fuels rigged similar). Not saying you won't get pulled a little, but I'm fairly sure if you were in the water, you wouldn't even go 5ft downwind. Same things applies for the relaunch. If you hot launch it with the bar all the way out, it won't pull you out of the water. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: