Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiteboarding Accident in France 8/9/2007

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Aug 10, 07 1:12 pm    Kiteboarding Accident in France 8/9/2007 Reply with quote

Sad to say it was fatal according to this account:

Quote:
The harness hook of 32 years old kiter from Toulouse got tangled yesterday afternoon in the lines. His 2007 Rebel parted in a series of kiteloops without touching the water in a strong >25 knots offshore wind. While several kiters tried to catch him without success, he was pulled from the beach to the sea. Finally he was recovered drowned.

Offshore conditions are typical and usually well managed at this spot, which is adjacent to the La Franqui beach of Leaucate, where the Mondial du Vent, a great windsurfing and kiteboarding event takes place each April.

A similar fatal accident happened last november in northern France at Hardelot, where an uncontrollably looping Crossbow had pulled over 5kms a tangled kiter in overpowered conditions.

Apparently, kites that loop in a small radius can get very dangerous in high winds since tangled or broken lines may result in uncontrollable series of very violent kiteloops. Obviously very dangerous in onshore conditions but even in offshore winds the violence of the pull may result in unconsciousness and drowning. Releasable harnesses or harness hooks may help in some but not all the situations.

High wind kitesurfing, even with high-depower kites, remains an extreme sport where life-threathening situations may develop in seconds. Ride carefully!

http://forum.flysurf.com/topic42286.html

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2341112

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostFri Aug 10, 07 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

Really sad

Good reminder to everyone else carry a knife and make sure you can get to it if you need it.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostFri Aug 10, 07 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, truly a sad event.

I second BB comment regarding the knife, especially the part about making sure you can reach it. I had an incident at Stevenson last year where a line on my kite snapped, wrapped around my ankle, and started dragging me downriver. I had a knife in my impact vest but could not reach it on my back. Luckily another kiter came by and I grabbed his knife and was able to cut the lines. I now where a knife on the front near my bar.

If you have a harness with a knife pocket in back and that is where you keep the knife, please make sure you can grab it easily, under highly stressful conditions.

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 13, 07 6:14 am     Reply with quote

Bettyboarder wrote:
Really sad

Good reminder to everyone else carry a knife and make sure you can get to it if you need it.

Here is my solution to the problem of hook knife access...learned it from a local kiter. Also, keep in mind that the blades deteriorate in a matter of months, so you have to constantly test the cutting ability of the blade, and replace the knives frequently.

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2320414&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hook+knife

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Aug 13, 07 9:40 am     Reply with quote

I need to find my knife again. I had a back line break last year at roooster when it was crazy gusty, the kite started doing super mad loops and while getting yarded through the water lines were getting tangled all over (turned out to be the broken line).

I pulled out of the chicken loop to just get everything away from me. The wind was so strong with the kite all tangled and looping that it broke my leash line after I pulled out. Bye bye kite. It eventually got stuck in the trees down by the boat launch but I never did recover the knife.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostMon Aug 13, 07 9:43 am     Reply with quote

kiteboarding is easy and safe!

airow

Since 13 Aug 2007
4 Posts
HR
Kook

PostMon Aug 13, 07 11:00 am     Reply with quote

I had to ditch my harness once due to a similar incident of a line getting caught in my harness hook. Don't wear a harness that you can't get out of either!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: