Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

right foot dominant and sick of it...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1805 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 09, 07 7:28 am    right foot dominant and sick of it... Reply with quote

Anyone tried anythhing to improve the coordination of their less coordinated leg? I am very right foot favored, which means that 90% of what I do is on port tack--I was the same windsurfing.

Skateboarding with my feet reversed, hypnosis, what...?

Thanks,
Eric

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostThu Aug 09, 07 7:34 am     Reply with quote

just make sure you do the same trick on the opposite tack. When i started doing backrolls the only way to untwist my lines was to do a backroll on the other tack. Then I started doing front rolls, but I kept this routine so that I could do it equally well both ways. For ever trick i do i try to it an equal number of times on the opposite tack. Works really well.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Aug 09, 07 7:44 am     Reply with quote

Ever since my right knee started bothering me I started doing more tricks landing on my other tack. Hasn't made my right knee feel any better but my goofy side tricks are almost as good as my regular footed ones now. Confused

jimmyc

Since 04 Aug 2005
74 Posts
Cape Cod, MA

PostThu Aug 09, 07 7:48 am     Reply with quote

Not sure how it is out there but I know amongst all my friends and I we have certain tricks we do one way and certain we do the other...and we're all very different even though we have same dominant leg. I found odd stuff like learning to waterski with right foot forward has made me ride toeside better right foot forward even though I snowboard left foot forward. Strange stuff like that of course affects how you ride.

Anyway, like you I wondered about this and worked on landing the same trick on both tacks. Then I took a few lessons with some pros/semi-pros and found out they do the same thing....certain tricks only one direction. So, now I don't worry about it and try to just try to figure out which way I'll be more likely to land a new trick...

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Aug 09, 07 8:11 am    Re: right foot dominant and sick of it... Reply with quote

Eric wrote:
I am very right foot favored, which means that 90% of what I do is on port tack--I was the same windsurfing.

So when you say "right-foot favored" you mean you feel more comfortable riding left foot forward or regular foot stance (port tack).

This is interesting to me because my right foot is my strong foot and I prefer to ride strong foot forward (goofy).

But to answer you q. Like these other guys, I have given up trying to do everything equally well on both tacks. I work on my switch so I can ride these right-handers front-side. I tend to work on kite loops on the port tack so I can yank the bar with my strong hand (right). Most everything else I would rather be Starboard or initiating from toeside....not ideal. Confused

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu Aug 09, 07 8:51 am     Reply with quote

I hear you
The southerlies are sooo good
I want to ride them better
But while doing it last Thanksgiving day
I slightly damaged my minicus (knee)
had to take off the winter from snowboarding waiting for it to heal
might be why it's called the weak side
but still working on it using my surfboard to come in heelside on northers
and feeling pretty comfortable going goofy the rest of time
Our oldest kiter is Wild Bill and he just turned 64
he has been surfing for 50+ years
he says just throw your other shoulder forward when you jump up on your board and you will become amberdextrous
works for me

jimmyc

Since 04 Aug 2005
74 Posts
Cape Cod, MA

PostThu Aug 09, 07 9:27 am     Reply with quote

blowhard, did you have your meniscus repaired or part of it removed (partial menisectomy)?

I had mine repaired almost 6 months ago and am just getting back on the water. It's a downer, huh?! Sad

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu Aug 09, 07 9:37 am     Reply with quote

no ,
not bad enough at this time
not torn loose
just crunched
he siad it will go (hurts in certian positions)
eventually (something to look foward to )
at least they got a $1200.00 pic of it
5k deductable
self employed health plan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: