Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

2007 Blowout This Saturday
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostMon Aug 06, 07 4:24 am    2007 Blowout This Saturday Reply with quote

Time to Rally

North Sports and Dakine came on board after marketing materials went to press.

Support the companies that make events like this possible.

BlowoutFinal1.4.jpg 

Last edited by pacifichigh on Fri Aug 10, 07 12:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostMon Aug 06, 07 9:39 am     Reply with quote

Nice poster....

So, what kind of water assistance is going to be avail?
And, are there any early take-out spots that people have used in the past.....?

Any level welcome to race...?

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Aug 06, 07 9:53 am     Reply with quote

I used the "take out" about a mile past the truck weigh station on the Oregon side (nice sharp big rocks to roll your kite up on, then you get to hike over pointy bushes, train track, and then more pointy bushes/grass ~5 miles out of HR). Viento works too! Laughing

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostMon Aug 06, 07 9:59 am     Reply with quote

In the event of a break down, racers are encouraged to head for the Washington side, as we will have a shuttle running.

There will be 4 PWC on the water

A 17 mile downwinder is a fairly serious endevour that should only be undertaken by experianced pilots.

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 06, 07 11:03 am     Reply with quote

can anyone who has done this race before comment on how it typically is? how much does the wind vary along the stretch? is it as bad as i have heard in the narrow middle section? how many people drop kites there? do people tend to rig much bigger than they would for the stevenson wind or what?

do people tend to ride directly downwind most of it, or is it more about broad reaching at angles?

overall, is it actually fun for 17miles, or just an exercise in competitive drudgery that makes you wish you were actually doing something interesting with the downwind distance?

apart from the waterski gear, what has been the second most successful equipment and technique?

by the way, what do you think is longest stretch of kitable river with good wind? looks like it would be john day damn out past 3 mile to umatilla or so. something like 70 miles.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Aug 06, 07 11:15 am     Reply with quote

Haven't actually done the race before, but Nate, Tucker, Shy, and me did the downwinder last summer. Starting off at overpowered 7m (at least for normal riding), it was fine until the first narrow channel after Home Valley. On my '05 Fuel 7 I was getting my ass handed to me (it was probably ~40 - Nate had his Switchblade 7, Tucker a Link 7, and Shy on an '06 Fuel 9). In the next few miles, I managed to slam my kite down and deflate it, Shy had to get out at Viento (wind got light), with only Nate and Tucker barely making it through. Fun times!

railgrab

Since 29 Mar 2005
177 Posts
Seattle, WA
Stoked

PostMon Aug 06, 07 11:42 am     Reply with quote

2 Saturdays ago, I left Stevenson well powered on my 9. I was very wind shadowed on the lee of Wind Mtn before hitting overpowering gusts at Viento. The rest of the Seattle crew completed the trip from Viento to HR on 6s and 7s. This year, I plan to take an extra large kite while wearing a backpack full of rocks. If the wind dies, I'll jettison the extra weight and smoke you all!!!... that, or I'll crash my kite and you'll find me at the bottom of the river.

Ethan

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 06, 07 6:11 pm     Reply with quote

if anybody wants to go for it... i have a pair of jumpers you could borrow... their fast, and floaty.... that's what the racers are wearing.

unfortunately, they have small bindings, and unless you have <8's, your feet are going to hurt at the end.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostTue Aug 07, 07 5:06 am     Reply with quote

The race is going to be capped at 50 people, so email or pm me your contact info to reserve a space.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Aug 07, 07 8:23 am     Reply with quote

Brett's going to cheat and use his hydrofoil! We should make him do an upwinder from the Sandbar to Stevenson!!! Thumb's Up

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 07, 07 8:35 am     Reply with quote

Ths is going to sound lame, but using a Reel Leash is not a bad idea for the Blowout.
The reason being, is that when you are smoking straight downwind and wipe out you tend to get a fair amount of distance between you and your board, then you have to burn up a ton of valuable time body dragging all the way back upwind to get the board.
Also, there are some superf%*king hairball gusts and lulls along the bends and turns of the river that are almost impossible to body drag back upwind in, unless you have a 5th line that allows you to swim pulling your kite upwind in leash-mode.

I know I'll get a beating for posting this, but it is just something to consider for those kiters that have or use a Reel Leash.

The Blowout is a commitment thing, so it can be all or nothing, just ask Corey who runs it on Jump Waterskis with his Delta kite.

Also, yes, the narrows sucks balls, but getting downt to Viento is the bigger challenge, so no matter how hard things get in the narrows try your best to conserve your energy for Viento to HR.

I'm bummed I'll not be there, but I have a trade show that I have too attend in Utah.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 07, 07 8:41 am     Reply with quote

Rig big or go for small and loopy... that's another question I have.

I think I am going to do it on my twintip, but also thought about straps on the surfboard might be good if its lighter.

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostTue Aug 07, 07 8:43 am     Reply with quote

I am thinking straps on the surfboard for sure....

Huge nose, point-it and go!! Very Happy

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 07, 07 8:53 am     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
Brett's going to cheat and use his hydrofoil! We should make him do an upwinder from the Sandbar to Stevenson!!! Thumb's Up

i'll race anybody upwind on it!
but downwind is a different story... the foil outruns the kite too fast... sometimes i have to cut upwind just to go downwind. I've been wondering if I just sent the kite into a death spiral if I could keep tension with the foil!

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 07, 07 8:55 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Rig big or go for small and loopy... that's another question I have.

I think I am going to do it on my twintip, but also thought about straps on the surfboard might be good if its lighter.

in the race in SF recently, the strapped directionals beat out the twin tips.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostTue Aug 07, 07 2:04 pm     Reply with quote

I am almost tempted to ride it on my windsurf board. I think the straps are too far back though.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Aug 07, 07 2:30 pm     Reply with quote

I'm planning on doing a downwinder from Viento on Thursday around like 3pm and just having my girlfriend drop me off. She has one open seat in her car if anybody else from HR wants to go? Wouldn't mind the company on the downwinder either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: