Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sandbar help! + Lost board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Coffee

Since 23 Jun 2006
29 Posts

PostSun Aug 05, 07 6:01 pm    Sandbar help! + Lost board Reply with quote

At the sandbar today helping give my wife a lesson with yellow wave runner. Someone riding a SS Fuel ask me to help his friend, also riding Fuel, who’s kite had blown a whole.

Guy said, hey I’ll watch your lesson if you help my friend. I’m getting a bit tired of helping out folks on the water just because we have a wave runner. Ok, so I help out and brought the guy to the shore.

Dropped the guy off, no big deal, and then sucked in something into the jet, disabling the ski to idle only. By the time I made it back to my wife, the guy nowhere, she’s chewing my ass since her board is gone. With idle only on the ski we weren’t able to find our board.

If you happen to come across my ’05 Slingshot Misfit, three orange fins, one black, wood deck board, would appreciate a shout back.

For the people that would like a rescue, I’m selling prepaid rescues for $10 each. If you’re one the water without one, $500 tow in. That’s less than it’s going to cost me to fix the ski that’s overheating and replace the board.

To the guy who was pulled in…all I can say is karma baby.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostSun Aug 05, 07 6:28 pm     Reply with quote

That sucks dude, wonder why the dude didn't tow his friend in via his kite...

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostSun Aug 05, 07 9:54 pm     Reply with quote

Dude - sorry to hear about your board and you getting chewed out Sad

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostMon Aug 06, 07 4:55 pm     Reply with quote

Sucks about your board hope you get it back. Really sucks about the ski, hopefully its nothing major. Keep us posted about the board

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Aug 07, 07 9:24 am     Reply with quote

WOW, that is probably the pinnacle of lameness! I mean WTF people? What is the deal with everyone wanting to get rescued? If the guy was seriously injured then someone would have probably kited by and tried to help him or at least sped back to the spit and sounded the alarm. no?

If someone has been down in the water awhile I make it point to swing by and make sure everything is ok and I know allot of people do the same.

If your not injured, then buck up, roll up your stuff and swim.

Sorry to hear about your board. Call Bonneville and see if it turned up in their spillway screens.

Coffee

Since 23 Jun 2006
29 Posts

PostTue Aug 07, 07 1:11 pm     Reply with quote

Hate to an A-Hole but...$650 to fix the Ski + $650 for another replacement board = big finger to the next guy that wants a tow in.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 07, 07 2:32 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Coffee,

I'm somewhat handy with a wrench. If I can be of help fixing the 'ski let me know. Maybe a cooperative effort here? I've worked on cars & a jetboat. If you've got the shop manual we can possibly figure this one out.

Nak

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 07, 07 2:33 pm     Reply with quote

I dont think your being a a-hole at all. Its your money and if they need help they can go buy their own ski or take a lesson with a school that has ski's.

So what'd they say about the ski, suck up something?

Coffee

Since 23 Jun 2006
29 Posts

PostTue Aug 07, 07 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

Thank Nak, it's already at the shop for the repair.

Needs a replacement for the boot since it's completely melted away. Apparently the jet can and will suck up dirt or rocks from up to 4’ of water. I came in to about 2’ dropping the guy off at the beach then turn, throttled it, and sucked in sand/rocks causing friction with the jet and bravo a melt-down.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 07, 07 3:00 pm     Reply with quote

oh man Evil or Very Mad

One tip I was told was gun it and then kill it about 10 feet out. Once on shore before you start it up agian lift the ski up and down makes a suction and gets all the stuff out from it sitting on the beach or shake it side to side before you start it. Personally I do both lift it up and shake it just so I dont risk suckin anything up. Neither of this would of helped in this case but might help in the future.

JW

Since 28 Jan 2006
227 Posts
portland
Stoked

PostTue Aug 07, 07 6:44 pm     Reply with quote

There will be no help from the yellow and black ski ,only if you are about to die. Embarassed You must be in self resscue mode for us to help we had to do it so will you .back in the day there where no ski's on the water,you should feel lucky. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil :twisted:thanks for good people coffee

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 07, 07 8:56 pm     Reply with quote

I think that ski of yours is just too suped up Jay-Dub, she sucks a little too hard! Wink

People do need to either start getting a little more self sufficient or start getting their own ski's... if one of the schools wanted to start doing rescues they could probably make some extra $$$ on the busy days.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostTue Aug 07, 07 9:21 pm     Reply with quote

I will say that the number of rescues has gone down dramatically since the beginning of the season. The last time I was out at the sandbar I only rescued one person, and they didn't really need one, I was just feeling generous since they had already taken down there stuff and were in full self rescue mode.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: