Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

high wind riding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Aug 22, 05 8:28 pm    high wind riding Reply with quote

Well okay I'm a total wimp when it comes to high winds. As in - I don't have the experience. 14-16m is what I was flying pretty much exclusively this year.

So I have this 9m Yarga and that's the smallest kite I've got now. 150 brave lbs in me.

How the heck do you relaunch that thing if it's howling so much it's a pain to stand on the beach? I remember last year I had to swim in just because I couldn't relaunch my 8m fuel - couldn't swim fast enough to get it on its back! Tried pulling the middle line and then swimming - didn't quite help either.

But that's minor stuff. The important question is this: is it possible to have fun in those 25-35mph gusts on a kite that's a bit too big for conditions?

Another important questoin - anyone got a 5m yarga for sale? Or some other small kite that doesn't require 5th line?

Thanks!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Aug 22, 05 8:51 pm     Reply with quote

Should be no trouble at all. My 9m Yarga usually flips on its back on its own, but if it doesn't just try depowering it a bit (bringing in the front lines helps flip it) then just swim towards it.

The Yarga's flip over in real light wind, the only trouble I have with them is if they are pumped up too hard sometimes they are hard to get to travel to the edge of the window, instead they just bounce around in front of you flipped over.

The best way I have found to deal with it is to start pulling a side line HARD as soon as the kite has almost flipped all the way over. That will make the kite bend in the middle and relaunch almost immediately. If that doesn't work swimming to the side is the only other option. Or I guess you put less air in the LE. Very Happy

Anyway, point is... smaller kite relaunching is usually easier not harder.

Quote:
The important question is this: is it possible to have fun in those 25-35mph gusts on a kite that's a bit too big for conditions?

I hate being overpowered in high/gusty wind. I used to do it because I really wanted to ride and didn't have really small kites. Now I ride my 7m and always have a blast on it. Small kites are a different bag for sure, but they can be so much fun once you get used to it.

Also, 5m is real small, there is a big difference betwen a 9m and 7m. I'd say go for the 7m as the next size down, and if its too much wind for that, go fishing. Thumb's Up

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostTue Aug 23, 05 1:16 am     Reply with quote

Hi winds are a no brainer for relaunch. I fly all my kites 5th line so they don't tangle when I go to leash. I'm on 20M lines when I fly at Stevenson and often it's too short to land to people on the hill so I just release to the 5th and reel in my lines. Easiest solution and there's no tangles with the 5th. That said, when you're in 20+ knots all you need to do is pull hard on your bar over your head and then release the bar towards your feet. The kite will flip, pull in one side of the bar and up she goes. If that doesn't work then your LE isn't pumped hard enough. Don't even need the 5th in high winds really. Still is nice to have though when you're going to leash.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Aug 23, 05 7:18 am     Reply with quote

don't miss the boat on high winds. I ride my 7m a ton in the summer, the kites are twitchy compared to big kites but a small bar and a choked in grip reduce that trait. In the waves the 8-7m are the kite. When doingpowered down the line riding the small kites allow lots of turns without out riding your kite. The 7 can get big air but the lift will not hold you up as long so be ready for hotter landings. I used to be scared of the small kites 35 mph winds to ,but just take a few more tacks before shredding to acclimatize to the conditions. remember big gusts = big jumps. Shocked the relaunch thing is wierd usually in high winds the kite will relaunch before I would want, if not pull the lines and get it to go to one side.

Spencer

Since 24 Jun 2005
29 Posts
Portland

PostTue Aug 23, 05 1:13 pm     Reply with quote

3m, 5m & 7m are my favorite kites. All on 13m lines and skimboard. I love high wind in both the Gorge and the Coast. Once you get used to the fast response time of the kite, it seems so easy and fun.

Spencer

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostTue Aug 23, 05 3:32 pm     Reply with quote

Spencer wrote:
3m, 5m & 7m are my favorite kites. All on 13m lines and skimboard. I love high wind in both the Gorge and the Coast. Once you get used to the fast response time of the kite, it seems so easy and fun.

Spencer

Hmm.. Hmmmmm..... I like this idea! Esp. for tight launches and gnary weather. Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: