Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Slingshot REV's Outa this world?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostSun Aug 05, 07 8:56 am    Slingshot REV's Outa this world? Reply with quote

Slingshot REV's Outa this world..........

Thanks second wind

Outa this world
 Outa this world  REV_OUTA_THIS_WORLD.jpg 

Last edited by Rico on Sun Aug 05, 07 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostSun Aug 05, 07 9:00 am    One more pic Reply with quote

One more pic, then must go kite. See you at the spit Cool

REV
 REV  DSC_0040_REV.jpg 

JW

Since 28 Jan 2006
227 Posts
portland
Stoked

PostSun Aug 05, 07 9:19 am     Reply with quote

REV demos at second wind? not true a budy tride to get a demo and was shut down. and told we dont do demos this makes know sence.

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 05, 07 9:31 am     Reply with quote

Gotta chance to try 7,9,11 and they are all super fun kites, effortless re-launch, good pop, steady, turn on a dime, and really light feel.....props to Amery, Dano and Kish for letting me ride em, they are a great crew!

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 05, 07 9:34 am     Reply with quote

Cool fisheye shot Rico.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Aug 05, 07 10:48 am     Reply with quote

That first pic is the coolest shit I've seen yet!!! Thumb's Up

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostSun Aug 05, 07 1:18 pm     Reply with quote

tHAT IS A FReaking Rad SHOt RiCO! KillER CaptION toO!

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSun Aug 05, 07 2:46 pm     Reply with quote

JW wrote:
REV demos at second wind? not true a budy tride to get a demo and was shut down. and told we dont do demos this makes know sence.

Sorry about that. Technically we cannot offer kite demos/rentals, but sometimes we do allow kites to go out on demo/test with kiters that we are familiar with and are confident of their ability levels (and won't sue our pants off if something goes wrong).

Just to make it clear, we aren't a shop that only hooks up the bro-brahs for demos, it is purely a liability issue. If we have personally (we, being me the owner) have witnessed you kiting and are confident that you have safe and seasoned kite skills with different styles of kites, then we make exceptions on who we can let try out new kites when the opportunity arises.

It really sucks that we have to do this, but legally and liability-wise, we are totally screwed by the system and our insurance company on this issue.

This is why we primarily work with kite companies like Slingshot and Liquid Force who have the able to offer kite demos for local kiters and customers of ours.

So, please forgive us on this subject and if you really want to demo a kite, please contact me directly and we can see about making arrangements either with us directly or via one of our reps when they are in town.

Trevor and Rico, thanks for the love. You guys were so great when you came back into the shop, Trevor was so stoked about the Rev he had a huge assed perma-grin.

Thanks
Pepi
2nd Wind Sports

www.Purestokesports.com

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostSun Aug 05, 07 2:50 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Trevor, The Rev is NOT a c kite Laughing

www.naishkites.com

JUMPIN JIMI

Since 11 Nov 2006
123 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Aug 05, 07 3:56 pm     Reply with quote

THAT NEW REV LOOKS JUST LIKE A WAROO! SS FINALLY JUST COPIED A GREAT DESIGN,THOSE TURBO DIESELS 1&2 WERE A JOKE.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 05, 07 4:38 pm     Reply with quote

JUMPIN JIMI wrote:
THAT NEW REV LOOKS JUST LIKE A WAROO! SS FINALLY JUST COPIED A GREAT DESIGN,THOSE TURBO DIESELS 1&2 WERE A JOKE.

I ride waroos, and the rev is NOT a waroo.

Trevor let me get out on the demo he had. It was a 9, my small waroo is a 7.
I rode them back to back (literally within 5 minutes of each other) The difference was night and day. The rev was a little slower (probably because of the size diff), but there were other differences too.

The rev gave constant power through the turn of the kite, the waroo is more of a ramping power.

The rev always pulled on me.... it was a cool feeling, what I can relate to being attached to a boat. The waroo has spots where the power disappears (I'm referring in both of these to jumps).

All in all, I liked the rev. I'm not ready to give up my waroo yet, but it was a dam good kite...and way different than the best.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostSun Aug 05, 07 7:00 pm     Reply with quote

I had a similar feeling between the rev and the waroo. Now I currently ride waroos, because for '07 I think it is the best kite out there. this has nothing to do with price.

I liked the Rev alot. It gave nice consistent pull, and solid feedback. The depower was very smooth, and didn't have an on/off feeling that you get sometimes with the waroo. I think I jump higher on my waroo, but I am used to that kite, so it may just be a timing thing. I also think that the rev has more high end, but didn't have as much low end when compared to the waroo. I was riding a 7m waroo and the 9m rev back to back. All around the rev is a very solid, super stable kite.

I did not have to relaunch, so I can't comment on that, but Trevor said it was very easy.

The bar setup is also super trick for the '08 gear. I really like the current BEST bar, with the safety on the center string for depower and the moveable stopper. The slingshot bar has some additional nice features, including below the bar depower so you don't have to reach and a really solid safety system.

All told I can see slingshot selling alot of these kites and people will be very happy with them.

stringthing

Since 31 Jul 2007
5 Posts
the couve
Kook

PostSun Aug 05, 07 7:38 pm     Reply with quote

i don't want to fly the rev because i.m afraid i'll want to buy it next year and i just got t2s

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 05, 07 9:30 pm    07 Fuels Reply with quote

The 07 Fuels are the sickest kites out there.

There the best kite on the market, hands down.

I have riden the Waroo, and there is no comparison.

Best kite of 2007 is the FUEL.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostMon Aug 06, 07 7:29 am     Reply with quote

The REV by Sling is one of the sickest kites I have flown.
Thanks Pepi (2nd Wind) for hooking me and Rico up this weekend for a ride. Had several different people try it and most of them all had great things to say about the kite.
I love my Fuels, but the REV feels just like my Fuels except the extra depower. Definitely going to get them as my high wind kites. Things I have not liked about the bow/sle is the Full turbo ON/Off feeling you get in the smaller kites and the accelerated turning, where it starts off slow, then accelerates thru the turn while ramping up power. And I have not seen a good kill switch/re-ride on bow/sle like a 5th line C kite has. Without having the leash attached to the outside line, which gives you the death spiral swim back to shore feature.

Still not crazy about the depower/sheeting cleat system being so close to the body as it gets "Stuck" for a few yanks, but the rest of the bar is very nice. Looks like SS has the new 800lb test lines on the front lines. Assume this will help with the stretching on the front lines.

Things I noticed about the REV
1. Consistent turning/power during turns/downloops/kiteloops
2. Nice super soft landings after jumping
3. Nice boost
4. Easiest kite to relaunch I've ever tried
5. Rides equal to my C's unhooked
6. 5th line like kill switch/re-ride feature

When down looping the kite, it has the same speed, turning and power all the way across the power zone. I also noticed that when fully loaded across the power zone during a down loop turn it did not "Snap" and get warped in full overpower conditions. I was suprised, as I kept trying to get it to invert, pop, warp, twist or do something weird..no luck. Very solid.

Even during jumps gone bad, the kite still hung in there with out falling from the sky, and had enough turning response, to get the kite back overhead, and recover nicely. This is a huge improvment over my Fuels. But really I should just learn to jump better, but nice feature when they do go bad.

The safety system is like a 5th line kite without the 5th line. The center line attach to an elastic like rope then to a oh shit ring thru the center of the bar, and when deployed falls gently out of the sky. Then just pull the bar back to you and relaunch. Very nice. Could add a stopper ball or something to keep the bar from running so far up the lines..I didn't mind it, just saves a bit of time.

The relaunch was amazing, most times, you just pull on one side of the bar, and wait. It works its way close to the edge of the window, and relaunched. Sometimes just rotated over and relaunched. Very very similar to 5th line but better without having to mess with the kite rollover pull in 5th line feature.

Jump and unhooking has the same feeling as my Fuels, noticed no difference between them.

Overall, a super smooth kite. Not sure if I'll give up my all of my fuels yet Wink ,but I definitely want a 9m/7m REV.
Still waiting to hear from Pepi/2nd Wind on when he can get them instock..Pepi..any word from Slingy? I want new kite!

Trevor--

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 06, 07 8:02 am     Reply with quote

Still waiting to hear about availability on the Revs.

I finally got a ride the Rev 9 last night in overpowered to underpowered conditions and completely fell in love with it.

The kite feels like a the love child of the Fuel and T2. I loved the super quick power turning and the incredible pop, similar to the Fuel, and I appreciated the forgiveness of the bridles when pulling the kite out of the hot-zone when downlooping through turns or through the swells.
Being that I have primarily been flying T2's all summer, I had to actually adjust my riding a bit due to how powerful the kite was in the turns, which I really missed.

This is definitely a kite for those riders who were interested in stepping up pto a newer style kite, but did not want to lose the power and pop of their Fuel kite.

No hype, no long bridles, no lack of reinforcement panels, and no funky star trek wing shapes, just good, clean and simple Slingshot power kite design.

As for demos, you're now all SOL, cause' my staff and I will likely be fighting each other each session just to see who gets to ride the Rev.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Aug 06, 07 8:57 am     Reply with quote

ok, ok, I'll take two of them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: