Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Is there a "buffer" distance for WS races?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 04, 07 9:04 pm    Is there a "buffer" distance for WS races? Reply with quote

Alright, so I am down at Hood River today with all the rest of the areas kiters (so it seems) and I noticed that there was also a windsurfing competition going on. "No biggie" I think to myself, "I'll just keep an extra I out for the swarms of windsurfers!" After pumping up my kite, and getting things ready to go, I gave the beach a quick scan just to see who was coming and going. In doing so, I noticed several things, one of which was the fact that it seemed like kiters and windsurfers could share the river even though the had a race going on. This seemed logical as the rules of the water should apply the same way!

So, I head out! After a few tacks I make my way up to the bridge. Yes, in doing so I cut through the race course a few times, but nothing seemed wrong. No dirty looks, no close calls, nothing!... just kiting as usual!

However, I noticed that when I got close to the race boat parked way out in the middle of the river, there was someone taking pictures of what looked like me! "Thats odd!" I think to myself. Why would that lady be taking pictures of a kiter when she is a w.s. race official? Then the thoughts start flowing.

So, I guess this gets to my question. Is there some sort of unwritten "buffer" distance between kiters and w.s's and w.s' races? Should I be worried that my picture will end up on a "Wanted" poster? Should I even give a rat's ass? Confused

Thoughts?

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostSat Aug 04, 07 9:29 pm     Reply with quote

I wouldn't sweat it. Last I remember, the Columbia river is still a public waterbody and you have jsut as much right to be there as anyone else. It's definitely not the coolest thing to be kiting through a windsurf race (just as much as you wouldn't want some dufous tacking back in forth during the BOG contest) but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSat Aug 04, 07 10:35 pm     Reply with quote

I've personally been involved with the local racing fleet for over 10 years and the racers are a friendly group who recognize that they do not own the river, but share it.
The only courtesy that the racers would like to expect from other sailors and kiters is to stay away from the starting line when it appears that there is a race start sequence in progress ( there will be 12-30 sailors all in a pack, pretty hard to miss).
The racers are all usually pretty good sailors and when on the race course are attempting to sail the fastest and most direct line upwind or downwind across the course. This being, if you see a racer heading in a particular direction, they will likely be attempting to avoid changing their course as much as possible when changing course to avoid other sailors or kiters.

Hope that this helps.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: