Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sailing Right of Way
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostFri Aug 03, 07 9:26 pm    Sailing Right of Way Reply with quote

You know when you are say... walking in a narrow or semi-crowded space or a hall or door way and you come head on with another person, well sometimes you do a little dance to stop from ramming each other.

Well, I have notice the little dance does not work so well on the water with 25m lines over head. So, since I was in the Navy and know stupid nautical stuff, I thought I would find a picture and post it here for all to learn.

Here is a little nomenclature, the sailor with the right of way is called, "stand on", and maintains current course, unless he HAS to change to avoid a ramming.

The sailor that does not have the right of way is called the "give-way" or "burdened" vessel, this person must turn in a timely manner to avoid a ramming.

The only time I have had an issue is when kites are headed right for each other, basically one headed to WA and one headed to OR. The rule is who ever has the wind on their right has the right, starboard, of way and is the "stand on"

So, basically on a normal west wind day, those headed to Oregon have the right of way.

Hope this clears things up and keeps us from ramming each other. Oh here is a link from the Oregon boater instruction site where I got the picture.
http://www.boat-ed.com/or/course/p3-3_encounteringothers.htm

Rob

sailing right of way.jpg 

Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 03, 07 10:19 pm     Reply with quote

I just remember: 1) if My right hand is forward, i've technically got right of way. For me, this rule holds up anywhere in the world and for any wind direction. Although I keep this mind, I try to use common sense or give way when I can since I don't like to be a cock blocker.

also 2) if i am upwind of someone or faster than they are, the other person has ROW.

sandbar

Since 11 Nov 2006
37 Posts
Gorge
Landmass

PostFri Aug 03, 07 10:32 pm     Reply with quote

Remember: Right is might...

and Left might miss you!

Smile

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostFri Aug 03, 07 11:21 pm     Reply with quote

robkov,

thanks for posting this it is very helpful.

Jackal

Since 17 Dec 2005
147 Posts
WS
Stoked

PostSat Aug 04, 07 1:44 am     Reply with quote

What if you're riding tow side?

And what about surfing swell down wind?

skydiveblake

Since 28 Jun 2006
63 Posts
San Diego

PostSat Aug 04, 07 5:25 am     Reply with quote

What if the Dangler is coming at you?

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostSat Aug 04, 07 6:25 am     Reply with quote

that's correct for most situations .
But when AND if you arrive at a surf location
you will NOTICE a different set of rules
SURF RULES
Are ,
the person who is the best rider has most right-o-way
the person who is riding a wave has THE right-o-way
everyone else turn around and get out of the way
if you want to be treated with RESPECT
there are no exceptions
and never fuck with SURFERS
they have the ultimate right -o-way as a vessel with less control
and tons of pals waiting to harass you (tire slash)

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Aug 04, 07 8:17 am     Reply with quote

If you are toeside, you might want to switch to regular for better control unless you are good enough at it to maneuver well....

Basically riding toeside is just doing a trick, something you do for your own amusement, so it doesn't affect your obligations and need to respect others' right of way. After all, the rules are about protecting the other guy too....

(or maybe you go toeside because you are not good at jibing a strapped surfboard-that's often why I do it!)

Anyway, I use starboard rule to plan course around someone who is like 100m away or so, enough to maneuver easily and keep the kite where it needs to be. If they are STBD, I go below them if it looks close.
But in close quarters, less time and room to maneuver, I just say, upwind kite high, downwind low, all good.

And in waves, figure it out. Stay out of the way, and nobody will get mad. usually....

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 04, 07 8:24 am     Reply with quote

blowhard wrote:

SURF RULES
Are ,
the person who is the best rider has most right-o-way

Oh man - I'm sure that never ends in conflict Wink
Twisted Evil

---"the person who is riding a wave has THE right-o-way "

I was suprised to see this well known 'rule' broken so often in Maui - must be the 'international' riders Twisted Evil .

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostSat Aug 04, 07 9:00 am     Reply with quote

it always is a conflict
that is why the the most capable always are on top and everyone else is
trying to be on top
but what can you do
don't show respect and see what happens
If the top dog is TRULY a top dog he will always give it up for a good rider
BUT
if some gumbies try to infringe and continue to fuck things up
THEY will be dealt with
for sure
nobody wants a bunch of wasted waves while someone is in the slot fuckin around getting thier shit together (jumpin, fetchin thier board etc,)
don't come into the wave riding location unles you are competent and understand the set-up
go practice in the shore breaks ,
where nobody cares
We almost never have problems
But then again our out-of-town riders keep the out of the country riders
IN LINE

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Aug 04, 07 10:36 am     Reply with quote

A competent sailor will work around you they don't want you messing up thier rig or thier day.

if unsure wave riding rights of way remember if your in THE WAVE PEAKS PATH keep moving or turn around to escape the wraith of a on coming waver . I will often stop kite high and watch danglers pass by with a great view then press on. give a hoot for fun.

if the wave at hand is pressing your skills to clear or ride over confidently to move out of the wave riders way ,well then the turning around option should be implemented to get the hell out of the way.

I recommend prejump practice daily so when the big waves come back you are prepared, when its big and people are scared because your riding deep 15 +++ foot faces noone wants to think of some dipshit who cant get over the wave that your poking at while taking great turns.

Thats when tempers flair.

as a tangle-surfer so when you come across a surfer paddling back out and a windsurfer tacking in 15 feet below the surfer , as a wave kiter coming down the line, you should do your toeside turn around the surfer, cutting between the two, the doing your top turn, heelside, passing around the windsurfer. Right of ways stress satisfied and no hassles. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

although technically my heel sides I do have my right hand off the bar and only my left controling but don't let that confuse. Rolling Eyes

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostSat Aug 04, 07 11:09 am    Surfers? Reply with quote

I am talking about legalities here. If there is an accident, and you followed the rules the other guys is liable. Tire slashing... well that is also illegal.

If you are the "stand on" and the other person hurts you or damages your gear, they pay.

The surfer actually does not have the right of way. Anyone under wind power has the ultimate right of way. It is a very very old law that was never changed.

Rob

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostSat Aug 04, 07 11:15 am    Blowhard Reply with quote

Your surfer friends sound like the guys Anthony Kiedis surfed with in the movie Point Break. And you don't wanna mess with Neo.

thealohakid

Since 09 Aug 2006
58 Posts
MAUI

PostSat Aug 04, 07 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

"The surfer actually does not have the right of way. Anyone under wind power has the ultimate right of way. It is a very very old law that was never changed. "

Does this mean over swimmers/ bystanders/ fisherman? and Where are you getting this law from? It wouldn't make sense that a surfer would have to get out of my way because I'm wind powered.
This sounds like a law a windurfer made up a long time ago to get more wavetime

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostSat Aug 04, 07 10:16 pm    Older Reply with quote

The law is a bit older than the invention of windsurfing. It has to do with commerce.

It is all based on Rhodians, Greeks from the island of Rhodes.

You learn this in Navy boot camp.

Rob

jsj

Since 11 Sep 2006
83 Posts
Hood River

PostSat Aug 04, 07 10:36 pm    uh. USCG has the final say here Reply with quote

since Robkov cites legalities, here's one:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/rotr_online.htm

This gets hashed over endlessly. Kiters v Windsurfers. Kiters v Surfers. Windsurfers v Surfers.

1. Opposite tack. Starboard tack DOES NOT HAVE right of way. Instead. port tack is obliged to "give way". Please understand the subtle difference here. Note also, both vessels (regardless of manuverability) are obliged to take action to avoid collision.

2. Vessels on same tack, downwind vessel is obliged to give way.

3. In the surf, the rider upwind on the wave has priority and is morally obligated to kick your ass if you get in the friggin way. Oddly, this is in fact an extension of rule (2) so it's legal and not a special surf rule at all.

4. If you are going out, and find yourself in someone's way, go back in, kite low. Do not freeze in the impact zone. White sharks will come get you if you do.

Have fun out there and avoid collision, except with those who really, really deserve it. :O

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostSun Aug 05, 07 7:33 am     Reply with quote

The Greeks established the first maritime laws and they are still in effect ,
due to the great common sense of these laws.
The most common law and easy to remember and also the one that will make you the most friends IS
The vessel with the LEAST control has the right-o-way
If anyone mows down a surfer or a swimmer ,
I would bet some lawyers would think a field day
(if you have assets)
I hold a certificate for advanced coastal navigation from the U.S.C.G.
this includes all navigation except Celestial
taught by a former U.S.Navy Navigator (retired)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: